A tidbit on hybrid stringing...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Decimator

Decimator Regular Member

How about Zymax 68TX as it's a control string and feel is also very close to BG80 I heard and durable too, right?

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Couldn't say, never tried TX.

3. Furyan

Furyan Regular Member

I've tried no.1 for mains and 64tx for crosses, no.1 at 27 and 64tx at 28. I personally don't like it, it's decent enough for plastics but with feathers something just feels off. For example on power shots I feel as though there is no power, so I won't be using that combo again.

4. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    No power? Slight exaggeration.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Wrong hybrid. The 64TX must be the mains. Zymax tend always thicker than other strings at same gauge, so LN #1 must on cross. Always place the control(rougher)/more durable and thicker string as mains. The thinner, smoother and more repulsive as cross. No wonder that it felt off.

6. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Is this Aerobite Syndrome or is there any actual reasoning behind going thin on crosses? :) Must admit I suffer from Aerobite Syndrome myself.

7. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    When I've tried it the other way round, it felt really weird to play on, not quite right. You can try it the other way around, but control feels off and the overall hitting feel is off too.

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I tested hybrids on badmintonrackets before anybody talked about aerosonic or aerobite. These are my thoughts behind it:

1)Thicker string as main

Normally the main breaks. The cross breaks very seldom, sometimes when square tensions are applied, but normally the main goes. Also at the top of the racket you can break strings due mishitting. This happens also to the mains, so IMO here must the more durable/thicker strung as main. Anything else wouldn't bring any durable effect of a hybrid. Why using a thin and less durable string as main and the thick and durable as cross? Wouldn't make sense IMO compared to using the thin string solo. No benefit of a hybrid.

2)More repulsive string on cross

The cross distance is shorter to swing. So a more repulsive/softer/more elastic string brings here the advantage into a solo job of the thick string. Less elasticity of the main evens out the stringbed of due longer distance between 2 holes sacrificing a bit repulsion because of durability, but not as drastic.

3)The controlled/rougher string as mains

the web of a job is not square, it is rectangular. So the rougher string as mains offers more contact area to the shuttle (longer side of the rectangular), compared to strung as cross (shorter side of the rectangular).

This is my explaination why the thinner/more repulsive string should be the cross to get its advantages into the job and why the thicker/rougher/more durable string should be strung as main. If you go vice versa you will bring the disadvantages of each string type on the table and water your thin/less durable and repulsive string only down. The aim and idea of hybrids was always to get best of both worlds instead of watering down the solo usage of one particluar string. A lot people hype this hybrid idea at the moment and mixed anything with anything, but like cooking or mixing a drink you can't mix everything blind.

#208 ucantseeme, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    baileeg, awekuda, swsh and 3 others like this.
  9. AzureLon

AzureLon New Member

Hi @Konquerian i too, use N9II and have been playing with Ashaway strings extensively.

So far i've used 66FP, 66F, 62F, TX64, and most recently hybrid TX64 mains and 62F cross.

I'll give some of my personal insights for each. All of them are strung at 27 lbs x 29 lbs

66FP - It was okay, similar to 66um with less repulsion but less lively (first strung) but feels dead overall.

66F - Less repulsion than 66FP but felt much harder feeling like BG80, not a fan of that.

62F - I loved it when I first strung at 27x29, but it's a little too repulsive and the control was not great as it's very slippery. Drop and cut shots are off.

New TX 64 - the rough texture is great! The repulsion is not bad either, I thought it will be my favourite as when it was freshly strung, it felt as great as 62F but with harder feeling (which I mentioned for 66F, I don't prefer that feeling).

Then I was reading up hybrid strings and oh god, I put tx 64 mains at 27lbs and 62f at 29lbs and first time I used it… it felt so good in clearing shots, smashing and when I drop and slice… it was also great! The main rough texture gave it so much more control and overall it felt so good.

First strung and it pinged 1420hertz using Carltune then 1360 after 24 hours and now holds 1290hertz even after 3 sessions. No notching at all and overall I think this will be my go to string choice for the n9ii.

Only downside is the sound… but then n9ii TURBOcharge gives awesome sound already so it's all good haha.

baileeg and visor like this.
  10. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    130 Hz after 3 sessions?o_O BG80 and BG80P drops same amount after 3 weeks which equals around 9-10 sessions. The mighty tension retention of Zymax is a damn hoax.

I really diagree about the ZM66FP, which is more a BG65 than a BG66UM. Comparing with BG66UM is like comparing No.5 with No.1 gauge wise - not fair.

swsh likes this.
  11. AzureLon

AzureLon New Member

Sorry I might be not clear. 1420 to 1360 Hertz is after 24hours of stringing without playing which is normal then played first session and it dropped another 1lb ish. second and third session did not lose lose any tention at all.

12. Kento

Kento Regular Member

I use Aerobite (67mm) as my main with Aerosonic (61mm) as the cross with both being strung to 29lbs tension on two racquets, my Yonex Voltric DG 0.1 and Yonex Voltric DG 7 respectively.
    What I have found is that, despite the Voltric 0.1 being a 4UG4 weighing 83g and the Voltric 7 being a 3UG4 weighing 89g, the combination of the two above-mentioned Yonex strings allows for greater control and precision placement of the shuttlecock as well as for effective cutting from the back of the court both whilst smashing and whilst doing drop-sots and hairpins over the net.

13. Ryseric

Ryseric Regular Member

Going to test out bg80/lining no1 hybrid setup, usualy string bg80 @27lbs. Any suggestions what tension i should try the hybrid in? Was thinking 25/27

14. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Anyone try Aerobite hybrid (67mm mains x 61mm cross) at 30lbs on a 35lb maximum tension Yonex racquet?
    If so, what is your feedback?

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Like a DG or 8XP? Yeah. Though I went above 30 :p

Aerobite is basically really rubbery and great for slicing, touch and placement. That's about it. Personally I've only seen terrible durability with it so I don't go for it often

It is definitely a new and nice experience so I keep trying it from time to time.

16. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Do you have to put a little more weight on the cross string for a hybrid string?

Aerobite: Main - thick - medium
    Aerosonic: Cross - thin - more elastic/soft

Normally i make 0,5kg more on cross, but the racket is 3mm shorter with aerobite now.

17. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Personally always just went +2 on the cross. Now I know the awesome debate against or for it with high end machines but I went with it purely for the feel.

Haven't had any issues with it. +2 that is.

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Clamps slipping on crosses? I think +2 on hybrids works better feel-wise, but you shouldn't have odd shaped rackets from going square tension.

swsh likes this.
  19. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have a current issue that fits perfectly and I hope that BC's hybrid experts can help me out.

I've done my first hybrid jobs only recently for a client (late to the party, I know). He asked for BG80/LN1 @26/28 lbs. (on a Li-Ning N90IV and an Aeronaut 7000C, both in prefect condition) which seemed to be perfectly reasonable and I just went ahead with that, 0% pre-stretch by the way. I did it bottom-up, knot position @kakinami style.

No special incidents during the jobs, except my growing surprise why 2-piece is widely considered to be easier than 1-piece patterns.

I measured the racket lengths right off the machine, both were at 674 mm, so ~1 mm short which I consider as fully acceptable. Also by naked eye, the head shapes appeared to be normal.

Today, so about 1,5 weeks later, the client contacted me that the heads of both appear to be too round (he has another N90IV to directly compare) and that he cut both to prevent any damage to the frame - sadly without measuring the lengths once more before cutting. That said, let me add that he's a genuine and credible guy and he wasn't pushing for a new free of charge job or anything like that.

Any ideas what could have happened here or does any of you guys have made a similar experience? My first thought goes towards LN1 stretching more than BG80, especially during the first hours on court, which (in theory) could explain the change of shape over time. But then I think - if that was the case, I'm sure that this would have been highlighted in here already at some point.

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Optical illusion? I have 2 n90s, one hybrid one pure no.5, strung for over a year. Still the same shape.