Replacement for Astrox 77

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Zohar, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

I broke my (one out of two) 6-months-old yonex Astrox 77 a couple of weeks ago in a clash.
    Recently, I finally found out why I break the string every couple of weeks. It's due to Yonex's new (dumb) grommet pattern design

[​IMG]

which makes the string protrude from the frame, and I scrape it on the floor. So I probably won't buy yonex anymore. Moreover, since these badminton rackets seem brittle, I don't want to spend too much on a racket anymore.
    I'm looking for a 3u, heavy head, preferably flexible racket. So far, I'm familiar only with yonex.

A friend suggested his old (2012) yonex z-force (frame only) for NZD$70. Is it a reasonable price?
    Is there any difference between a 2012 racket and a 2018?
    Is there another known company, which has a good affordable racket that I can just buy blindly on the net and most likely won't be disappointed? I'm not too picky besides the above.
    I live in NZ, and there aren't many options here. Any recommended online shops?

2. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    firstly-- it's not the grommet pattern, it's you. don't know wtf you're doing and how violently you are doing it but literally no one has this complaint in the 15 or whatever years since its introduction. good luck finding an advanced modern racquet today outside of a carbonex that don't have single pass grommets.

second-- yah badminton racquets aren't exactly designed to take the punishment of clashing. unless you get one of the heavy duty models (e.g. yonex DG, li ning US) anything more than a light swipe and you're asking for breakage, minimum paint chipping.

third-- VTZF is both much head heavier and stiffer than AX77. it's a good price for 50 USD i'm assuming fair or better condition.

fourth-- not much difference aside from age and what you want to believe about the marketing/advertisement of their materials engineering and design... and even then a lot of the 2012 stuff is still upcycled into 2018 models.

fifth-- usually a bad idea to buy something without trying it. head heavy med flex low cost: go with apacs.

sixth-- your neighbor australia has a bunch of reputable online stores, in addition to the hongkong shops. search them.

dtjovan, justinloong, Okaharu and 2 others like this.
  3. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

1. When I say a new design, I mean that Nanoray 10 doesn't have it, Nanoray 10F has it. So it's a new nonsense from 2015/6, and I didn't see it in any other company (not that I'm familiar with too many).
    I'm picking the shuttle from the ground like any other player. From what I notices, more carefully than most, although not as well as some.
    As I mentioned, it took me a long time (more than a year) to find the culprit. For example, the string in my nanoray 10f was breaking always at the same corner, I thought it was the grommets, I replaced them, and nothing. Only recently someone gave me the idea. Since it's a rather new problem, I guess it would take time for people to pick on it. I've already met two players who weren't aware of this, and broke the string at these outside corners, or in general, had chaffed string over there.
    I think this thing needs to be advertised all over, and mark my words, yonex is going to have a problem.

2. Right, so no expensive rackets for me. On the subject, I think someone should sell a light rubber protector for badminton rackets.

3. AX77 is light as a feather.

4. Sounds reasonable, I thought as much.

5. I'd be happy to try it. Would it involve a trip abroad?

6. I know how to google, but I was hoping for a specific recommendation:
    - For example, I wouldn't buy anything from an unknown online store in China since it would probably have 50% chance of being fake.
    - Saves me the price comparison.
    - I'm not familiar with anything other than Yonex, e.g. never heard of Apacs before. Apacs have a few models, and the one you suggested (or the forum automatically put a link to amazon for) isn't a 3U. For example, from looking at players in my club, more than a few have yonex arcsaber 10, and they seem happy with it. I would probably buy something popular like that on blind if it answers my constraints.

#3 Zohar, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

As for the string problem you have when picking up shuttles, I think there are adhesive strips for it that are meant to protect the strings(or the edges of the racket sensitive to paint chipping), but you can also use electrical tape. It won't make much difference in your swing, but it will ensure your strings won't touch the floor. You might have to cut it to size as it may be too wide.

Also, regular electrical tape is much better at finishing grips than the miniscule strips of what is essentially narrow electrical tape of a fixed short length that comes with the most grips.

5. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

Thanks, but I'm already using an electric tape. Thing is that even 3 layers aren't enough, and the string cuts and protrudes from them. Currently, I'm reinforcing the two corners with a thick plaster on top of the electric tape. But I think this nonsense is a waste of time, and I prefer to get a racket without this BS. I wish I could get rid of my other AX77.

[​IMG]

6. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Nobody has your problem and other companies (Victor, Oliver...) also use this "new grommet pattern". Electric tape is not helping? Then I guess there are other reasons. For example a damaged grommet.

7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

offbad and s_mair like this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

What on earth are you doing with your racket? I have one club mate that shares your problem. One layer of athletic tape (strip size ~20x5 mm) directly on top of the string is sufficient to survive for 3-4 months (until the string breaks anyways..). Admittedly, there are some rackets that expose the string especially in that area which can cause your issue. But the AX77 I've seen so far barely have this issue. So even if it's getting boring and one-sided: The problem is not the racket, it's you.

On the plus side - with that amount of various tape around the head of your AX77, it should be fairly easy to switch to a more head heavy racket in the future. :cool:

justinloong and offbad like this.
  9. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Perhaps you can try "tubing" to protect the string. You can see the result on some photos of this thread : Grommet friction
    But I think you can use tubing just by cutting small pieces outside the frame without going through the holes.

#9 flyingcords, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  10. deepinthemusic

deepinthemusic Regular Member

Pick shuttle with your finger, dont use your racket, problem solved (not trolling but i do this all the time)

Adding tube or tape will change the weight of the head and will change the character of the racket IMO

badmintony likes this.
  11. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The Voltric Z Force (2012) has the same 'new stringing pattern' as the Astrox 77.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I echo what others have said. the "new" pattern has been around for the past 15-20 yrs and it is rare to hear someone who has problem with it. the new overlapping grommet doesn't really push the string out that much further if at all. What type of gym floor are you playing in? What string are you using?

13. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

I use yonex bg80 power string.

I play in 3 halls. Two have a wooden parquet, and one has a green coating. The string is damaged in all three evenly.

It's far too convenient to pick up the shuttle with the racket than with my hand, and I come to enjoy myself and not fuss about my gear.

I didn't understand the tubing idea. I'm not doing the restringing myself; is it something I need to ask from the restringer?
    Is it less a hassle than putting a tape?

14. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

If you don't string your racquet yourself you cannot ask a stringer to put pieces of tubing at the right spaces, because it's not usual (to use badminton tubing and I don't think they have it). The tape is the right solution for you.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's possible to pick up shuttles from the floor without making contact with the floor. No blame goes to your racket, the brand, the floor, the stringer. You didn't learned to pick up shuttles gently yet and this is the result. I recommend to improve your technique for picking up. Get a feel on a carpet at home to pick up shuttles gently. Problem solved.

I3ugs, mtieu, esppy and 1 other person like this.
  16. mtieu

mtieu Regular Member

Sales Manager
    I second what ucantseeme stated. I scoop up shuttles without making contact with the floor and have no scratches or damaged string from scooping shuttles on any of my frames. I also recommend improving your technique for picking up shuttles or just pick shuttles up by hand.

ucantseeme likes this.
  17. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Since you obviously don't want to see that it's not the racket, you can try Babolat rackets, they have groves for the strings to sit in, so you can torture the racket when scooping up a shuttle and the string won't be damaged. My first suggestion would be any of the Essential rackets, but maybe the current Nitro is worth a try, slightly head heavy and a little bit of flex. Not really expensive either.

If your stringer is not used to Babolat, either don't tell him I suggested it, or tell him to ask me how to deal with these blocked holes.

18. Zohar

Zohar Regular Member

Thanks, I'm still looking into Babolat. In the local store I have the "BABOLAT PRIME BLAST", but it's light (84gr). I haven't asked my restringer about it yet.

19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The most common killing for racket is clash with other racket.
    2nd is miss hit where u hit hard right on the frame.
    Small unseen crack + powerfull smash would be enough to break it.

Unless u are able find a very old racket with all steel on it, i doubt today racket can have that strong frame. But be aware that if u find those, it would be very heavy & stiff.

I also pick up a cork from the ground often (almost always i think) & it didnt break my racket nor my string.
    But when i misshit off the sweet spot, sometimes i break the string (i use BG66UM / Lining #1 27lbs).

A tips to help avoid clash especially when play with an beginer to intermediate player.
    1. Improve ur awareness for surrounding especially ur partner position.
    2. Learn how to stop/cancle ur movement when needed. When u know ur friend is going to take it, better cancel ur act. I know a friend that dont have control for his act, when he decide to do it, he wont cancel it & execute it (i know how a cork feel when it slapped, coz he slap right at my face which makes me furious).
    3. Communicate with parner whos should take the bird when it drop in the mid between both of u. For me & my friend, the one with better position will take it. For example, i had strong back hand (not that good to compliment myself, but at least to backhand clear from back to back is easy for me). Im on the right & my friend on left. When the bird drop in the mid, if it in my friend range & he is able to take it, i give up the bird. Coz forehand is better than myself forcing backhand & im ready myself for a counter. Yes confident is good (im confident with my backhand) but self awareness also needed that friend position to take the bird is better.