Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Yep - its very common. If you bring your left leg further back that is fine, but the main problem is your balance. Your body is leaning to the left, rather than forwards. In order to balance, you are sticking out your right leg. Not a big problem, but simply try to stay more upright during the stroke, maintain a good balance, and get your weight going forwards. If you bring the left leg slightly further back that will help your recovery as you can push further forwards more easily. A note of caution with the left foot: don't let it point towards the net, try to have it pointing slightly outwards. This will help protect your achilles tendon which comes under tremendous strain if the foot faces forwards and you then try to push forwards (maximum length + maximum contraction = :( )

Mason likes this.
  2. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you , this is very helpful. I wonder if since I’m leaving too far left, if I try to lean too far to the right , perhaps that will put me In the correct position? Or should I just try to stay more upright ?

3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Yeah I wouldn't be trying to learn the wrong way of doing it... I would recommend you simply try to sense where your body weight is falling (forwards, backwards, left and right) and then remain in a good "balanced" position, with the intent that the bodyweight will go slightly forwards after your rearcourt shots. It is natural to tilt the upper body to the left to allow the right shoulder to raise and achieve a higher contact point. However, it is possible to do this in a more balanced way. If you combine that knowledge with better footwork by stepping further back with the left leg and using that leg to push your forwards, you should be successful in improving the posture and movement and avoid the right leg kicking around unnecessarily.

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Oh
    Oh so I needed to have my left left further back ?( at least in this last video )

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To clarify: your left leg will land at least as far back as your right leg took off from. I think KC shows this in his drill using the box in the tramlines when developing the footwork pattern. So in your last video, you did not properly jump upwards off the racket leg and have your bodyweight moving forwards during the stroke. As such, your right leg never came forwards, and hence your left leg never came backwards. What you want to do, more or less, is jump upwards off the back leg, strike the shuttle on the way up just as you reach the highest point, and allow the forwards momentum of your stroke to let the right side of your body follow through forwards, and hence the left foot lands behind you, and you use the left leg to push yourself slightly forwards into the court, ready for the next stroke. It is difficult for me to describe, but its a very natural way of:
    1. moving backwards
    2. reaching up high
    3. getting back into the court

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

is
    This is a good summary for me. I think I struggle with a one legged jump. In other sports that I Play like basketball and volleyball I would really only jump off 2 legs. This type of one leg jump is pretty foreign to me
    :(

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You say that but I don't believe you. If I look at your latest video (#367 I think) just look at the very first two shots you played. Those are both fine examples of a scissor kick footwork pattern. You didn't go very high to meet the shuttle, but you are certainly performing the movement.

8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Well That’s good to hear !
    I just rewatched them , so my first two shots in that video were okay to try to emulate and practice more of ?

9. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Haha, agreed - posture/shape is one issue, footwork is another. I decided not to point out that the video was not a particularly high quality demonstration...3 chasse steps and a jump is a bit much to manage in time for doubles, or even off of a high singles serve for that matter.

Good video by Jimmy Lin :)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

Good videos. But keep in mind that the scissor kick (ie leg switch) is simply just the result and after effect of body weight transfer from back to front and trunk rotation.

So as long as you focus on the latter two elements, the hips and legs will switch around automatically as you fall forwards. You cannot and should not focus on solely the leg switch.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

MSeeley likes this.
  11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

But for me, I do not transfer my body weight properly and I do not rotate properly so how else would I learn to that with learning a proper siccer kick ?

12. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Visor's point is that instead of obsessing about the scissor kick, you could instead just focus on the intended usage of the scissor kick i.e. if you focused on moving backwards, then reaching up and slightly hopping from the floor to get extra height, with a contact point that is in front of the body so that you can move forwards quickly after hitting the shuttle... you will probably have achieved a good scissor kick. Get the contact point high and in front of the body and you will have no choice but to shift the weight forwards and rotate your upper body.

Regardless, practice the movement, and you will be better off once you have it down properly.

visor and Mason like this.
  13. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thank you !

14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I went on vacation last week and I started to play again today.

I tried to get further behind the shuttle and I felt like I was able to on many of my shots. I was able to see some progress in that area as well in the video . I think I will try to get even further behind the shuttle next time I play

Also I was able to play most matches with at least 2 of the 4 players being better than me. Let me know your thoughts

15. Obito

Obito Regular Member

Have you ever try to practice your swing standing by next to wall? Most of your stroke seems a bit flare out. I m not sure is it because of the footwork or the original stroke as well.

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

No i have not tried that and it annoys me that my stoke is flared out
    But that’s a good idea

17. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Here are two of my games that’s i played

18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I was able to play an extra day this week
    Here are my shots :

I felt like my stroke looked just a little bit better on some of my shots. What do you all think ?

19. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Just a few notes/reminders:
    • Don't get lazy in your preparation. At the moment, you need to pull back the racket actively when starting the stroke, this should not be necessary. (You might still do it when you have a lot of time, but the better you get, the less time you get.)
    • You have to stop your body rotation/forward movement, because you're not far enough behind the shuttle, I think. Putting your body in the stroke does not only give you more power, but also more control.
    • Overall you seem to be out of balance a lot of times, there's several reasons for that, but I'd start with getting in position before you hit, I think that will have a big impact already. At the same time, you can try to lower your stance.
    • The handle of a racket is quite long. This can be used to grip it shorter when approaching the net and grip it longer when moving further to the back.
    Don't try to change everything at once, the first two are what you're working on at the moment, I think, so stick with this.
    When working on your footwork, I really suggest to do it without a racket and one pattern for one corner at a time. Then do a second corner, then both together. Then a third corner, then a fourth one, then those two together. Revisit all four corners (a court has at least nine corners despite being rectangular ;) ) on their own, then do all of them together. When you don't have to think about your feet at all, you can pick up your racket, otherwise your focus is not on your feet (from what I've seen so far).

Keep it up!

Mason likes this.
  20. Ffly

Ffly Regular Member

You still have some issues rotating your body. Looking at most of your shots, you don't actually go FORWARD after hitting the bird: you hit, then stop and look at where the bird lands, then continue (forward or laterally). Sometimes you go backwards because you take the shuttle late (you have to chasse faster)

Try to GO FORWARD right after hitting the bird, this will force your body to actually complete the turn (your right foot will have to be in front in order to quickly go to the center).

If you look at the 0:20 shot, you almost had it because you had to go forward (but you paused a little bit).

#400 Ffly, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Mason likes this.