www.MyStringJobs.com - Stringjob logging website

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by yan.v, Jan 29, 2017.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh, that actually looks really nice! Want to have that too! :)

Strange thing is, that JavaScript is activated in the settings, so I have no clue at all why the scripts still doesn't seem to start at all. Issue is also showing on an iPad.

But apart from that, overall usability has improved a lot!

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Ok, so good news, I was able to get my hands on an iPad and was able to reproduce the issue!

Bad news, it is an iOS specific bug and not easy to fix, so I was not able to make it work exactly like the Android/Desktop version.

BUT I did make some changes that should make it much better visually and practically on iOS.

Please let me know if these changes are working for you and if you find them practical!

s_mair likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The workaround for iOS looks good now. It's a lot easier to navigate on a smaller screen, so really well done!

As a matter of fact, it seems like there are still some minor optical bugs on the big screen version.
    Such as buttons that are alligned on the right side of the screen:
    Unbenannt.JPG

But so far, I haven't found anything crucial. So thumbs up!

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

That was actually intended, but I must admit that I do not like the positioning very much either. I will reposition them.

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Should be better now!

s_mair likes this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Looks good now, thanks for the quick fix!

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Please let me know if anything is missing/not working usability-wise, I will try to fix them asap (already some visual fixes coming).

Next on the list will probably be some statistics that will be added slowly one by one.

s_mair likes this.
  8. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Hey guys, I'm looking deeper into your tool, it looks useful and slightly more advanced than what I made for myself (google sheets with some small google form input things and graphs! :p)

A few suggestions:
    - the buttons for unpaid/paid en complete stringjobs have reversed color/statuses. The paid/unpaid displays the current status in color and text, while the complete button is already green and says "COMPLETE" when it is not, but it is the button to complete it (with the UNCOMPLETE button in the stringjobs screen is orange). Maybe find a way to make them both intuitive at the same time. (orange for when not paid/not completed, and the button will toggle to the green status with new words paid/completed? or even better: make them orange when not paid/not completed, but use the term: MARK PAID / MARK COMPLETE on it as a verb (it is an action button, after all))

- the VIEW button is orange, this makes me uneasy to click it. green feels safe to click! (therefore, RESET PASSWORD should be orange or something)

- I like to know how much string I have left, I input the meters when I buy strings (specified by type, of course) and then put in how much I've used in each stringjob (usually 10, sometimes a break might result in more). A small dashboard gives me insight in how much rackets I can still string before I need to buy more strings/rolls.

- I also register the ping frequency, and run statistics over the same string at the same tension (even by racket type)

- I also put in the price for the stringjob and the strings I buy, that way I can track how much has been earned after stringcosts have been deducted

- also log the time it took to complete the stringjob, more statistics, yay! (did you know Carlton Razor rackets take 30% longer? :p:p:p)

- something amazing and totally overkill would be to have small qr codes printed and stuck on each racket so I can use my phones camera to identify the racket :D

Keep up the good work, I might switch over soon!

(as you can tell, I'm at least as much a geek as a badminton enthousiast. I can send you some screenshots of my efforts for some inspiration, if you wish)

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Hi!

Thanks for the feedback!

You are right, I will change this soon. As far as the MARK mention, this will not be possible, as it will make the buttons either much bigger or unreadable.

Indeed, the colors will be changed.

There will not be any inventory or financial functions for quite a while. These modules were intentionally left out of the design to keep the website as simple as possible. Programming them will take a huge amount of time. After all, the website is free and these are not features I would use. So while I would like to add them in the future, it will likely not be any time soon.

The SBS field can also be used for ping frequency. I plan on having statistics with that soon'ish.

Same answer as the inventory.

I could easily add a new field to input the time took to string the racket if it is a popular request.

The problem with this is that finding a printer that would print a QR code or a bar code that fits on the buttcap must be pretty hard and expensive. We do have a similar feature called "Racquet ID". We write that number (along with date, string and tension) on a sticker that we put on the buttcap. That way, the next time the customer comes in, we only have to type that number in the "Quick Stringjob" area to quickly create a new stringjob.

Thank you! I definitely want to keep improving the tool until it becomes the reference used by most stringers, but time has its limits :)

thyrif likes this.
  10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Here are the stickers I use to put on racket butt caps:
    https://www.onlinelabels.com/Products/OL1245WR.htm

For 33$, you get 8000 stickers, which comes to less than half a penny per sticker.

When you order, you get a month free of their sticker editing program, so you can make a template to print your stickers as you like.

thyrif likes this.
  11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Another year+ has passed and I'm still using and enjoying Mystringjobs. So two thumbs up to @yan.v from my side! And actual paper worksheets are banned completely eversince.

However, there is a bug that's bugging me for a while now (pun intended). The "complete" button in the actual string job view doesn't work - neither on iOS/Safari nor on Win10/Firefox (haven't tested another browser though). I always have to use the complete button in the dashboard view which is working fine. Any chance to fix this?

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Hi there!

Thanks for letting me know. It's been working for us, but I'm going to do some testing to find out what is the issue. I'll keep you posted!

s_mair likes this.
  13. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Works fine with Chrome.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Thanks, going to give it a try on iOS too. Would be fine with me to access it with Chrome of that works.

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Same problem occurs with Chrome too I'm afraid.

16. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Sorry for the delay, had to setup my computer again after formatting!

It should be fixed now!

s_mair likes this.
  17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

No problem, mate. It's not like that was a matter of life and death.

Anyway, it works fine now. So thanks a lot for fixing it!

yan.v likes this.
  18. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    This site is amazing!
    Everything's working fine for me.

Can you add an option to export the database?
    So we can browse it offline. Also having some kind of backup would be great.

19. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion! I've added it to my backlog. I don't reckon it should be too hard to implement.

endFX likes this.
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Since I'm currently registering up an official business, there are two points that I would like to add on the wish list which would make life easier for me at the end of the year:
    - an additional field for "price paid" (maybe directly beside the "paid" checkbox)
    - an XLS-export option (just like @endFX already requested) with the possibility so choose the year or a certain timeframe

With both in combination, I would have half the data that I need for my tax declaration directly available without having to run a second spread sheet in parallel to track the financial aspect.

yan.v likes this.