Anders Antonsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Petersen, Oct 26, 2017.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

There's a serious contract & sponsorship conflict going on since November between the Danish Badminton Federation and the players which includes that they are barred from using their usual training facilities and coaches:

https://www.thestar.com.my/sport/ba...resolve-sponsorship-issue-with-their-players/

If **** is going to really hit the fan big time, then none of the big Danish names are going to Tokyo.

On the other hand, the negotiating position hasn't really improved for the Federation after the past (coachless) week.

thyrif and Vivek Bagadhi like this.
  2. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    When Antonsen is having a breakthrough I can only wonder how long it will take before Yonex signs him up?

4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Conflict solved, today.

6 year agreement signed.

Both parties have been hardballin' eachother, lately the federation said they couldn't nominate players for OG if they had not been part of the training programme. (Only Mia Blichfeldt had an agreement).

Anyway, that's all water under the bridge. Antonsen is now officially the new black in Danish badminton, Axelsen can get his mind back to (what seems to be urgent matters at) the practice courts.

And poor Kenneth Jonassen, who's been trapped in the middle of all this.

-----

Big congrats to Anders, more to come for sure!

Sent from my StringLab using TapaTalk.

Cheers,
    FeatherBlaster

s_mair likes this.
  5. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    What happened to Kenneth Jonassen?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That was a high stake gamble played by the federation with Anders calling that bluff with his win in Indonesia. Imagine the public **** storm coming in around the federation responsibles for denying potential medal chances to participate at the Olympics only because of some contract details and personal issues between federation and the players' representative.

But yeah, what happened to Kenneth Jonassen? I couldn't find any english article saying anything about his position. I would assume that if he's the only one not included in the deal that there maybe other carreer opportunities might have opened for him amongst all the noise these weeks. He has done a fantastic job over the past years so it wouldn't be a surprise if other countries had an eye on him.

Anyway, I've just managed to watch the Antonsen vs. Momota final and bloody hell, that was a tactical masterpiece by Anders. Full on attack and a lot of gambling with expecting Momota to do what he does best: Going for the net. It's the first time that I've noticed the extent of his love for the net. I mean, has he even played a single clear during the first game? And I think Anders neesd to give Viktor some lessons regarding touch, variability and subtle deception around the net. Just look at how often and how deliberately he drew Momota into a net battle with the return of serve already. That takes some courage. Then keeping his cool in game 2 (dispite that bunch of wide lifts) to still use the rallies to tire out Momota which had its effect then in game 3.

If Anders will manage to establish himself amongst the big guns in the future, then this match will go down in history as his breakthrough performance, hands down. And doing this all on his own and without coaching support? That's just super impressive.

OxBox, wade and Vivek Bagadhi like this.
  7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Maybe when he talked about Kenneth Jonnasen's awkward position in the dispute was about how he couldn't protect his players as the head coach but unable to go against the association (his boss) either?

FeatherBlaster likes this.
  8. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Well, Nothing specific with Kenneth, just that he is so dedicated, working with the players every single hour. And here, he has to be on the side of the federation, because he is their employee, thus being prohibited to work with the players, even though as soon as the conflict is over, everyone looks at him for the preparation for OG 2020.

And when he is on the road, coaching a match, he is as committed as if he was playing.

I have a feeling he has offered his help somehow (in the shadows) to the team. At least it must have been itching for him to take part of this success for AA, and do everything he could to help him get the win.

But also it must have hurt him to not be there for VA, when he had such a meltdown.

Sent from my StringLab using TapaTalk.

Cheers,
    FeatherBlaster

#28 FeatherBlaster, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    s_mair likes this.
  9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

VS, do you mean Viktor Axelsen?

FeatherBlaster likes this.
  10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

“It’s been tough dealing with the migraine. There are certain things I am aware of nowadays. Getting sleep and not getting stressed. At that time, when it happened a lot, I’d moved into my old apartment in Copenhagen as a 20-year-old. It was more work than I had expected. Laundry, grocery, own food. I had no idea. I had to fix things on my own. Now I have to pick stuff myself. As an adult, it was quite stressful. It was a lot of things. How not to get too stressed. When to take a step back. I have learnt a lot of things about myself in the past one year,” he had said.

His parents, who stayed three hours away from him, would chip in whenver they could, but he was virtually fending for himself.

The migraine had been debilitating. “I was struggling a lot with migraine after tough practice sessions. It was way too often that I got the migraine attacks for six to seven hours, throwing up and puking. If I got it on Monday, then I couldn’t practise on Tuesday and Wednesday. I’d start playing a little on Thursday. It just took me out many times when I had the chance to build my game and physique,” he recalls. “My mother struggled with migraine, probably got it from her. She helped guide me, but experience of an elite athlete – I needed to figure for myself,” he says of the first half of 2018, a blur lost to injury and illness.

Coming from Denmark has its own share of pressures in badminton as he’s seen as the next hope. “I followed all great players, but I’m a fan of Peter Gade and Lee Chong Wei. When I won the Scottish Open, I said it myself when asked if I will be the next big name in men’s singles: I grabbed the mic and said I am the next one,” he said.

He’s negotiated the feelings of pressure. “It doesn’t bother me at all. The biggest pressure comes from myself. I know it’s just a sport, though it is my life. I think I am good at not making it more than it is on court. I’m good at enjoying the moment actually. I am standing on the court and there are a lot of people watching me, this is so much fun. This is what I practise for. I am really good at letting those thoughts take over more than negative things,” says the maverick who’s learnt how to win.

It’s a maturity that’s come after shrugging off ignorant remarks. “I hear people saying, ‘you just have to practise two hours and the whole day just lay on the couch and do nothing’. But it’s not just two hours. Your brain never stops. You think about the next stop and where to go from there. It’s really tough for the body of course, but mentally tough as well,” he says.

https://indianexpress.com/article/s...denmark-badminton-indonesian-masters-5558496/

11. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

So FeatherBlaster, you seem to be from Denmark and maybe you know a little about the Danish national team. Regarding this tweet from Steen:

Why are the players paying 60% of the travel costs themselves? Why doesn't the Danish national team provide housing for the players if they aren't paying the players a salary?

The only conclusion I can think of is because the sponsorship deal for the players is that lucrative (which would be a good thing because it means Danish national team knows the players make enough money from the sponsorships).

But it's not normal for the national team to not pay for the player's travel costs and housing if they don't give the players a salary. I am wondering why this is the case in Denmark.

12. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

The way he's challenging KM on the net area is really impressive.

galaxyduo likes this.
  13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Amazing how the noises in Istora didn't cause him any migraine lol

It's really tough if you had to deal with chronic health condition that limit your ability to train or practice.

Hanyu Yuzuru (Japanese figure skater) came into my mind when I read this article, he has been battling with asthma since he was young, he could only practice 2 hours maximum a day before the asthma would come and make it so difficult. And not only that, his hometown and his practice rink in Sendai was swashed away by the big tsunami in 2011. With so many hurdles and frail physicals he never gave up and he won his first Gold medal in 2014. In his second Olympics 2018 in Pyongyang he was already badly injured (which causing him to stop skating for a few months after the Olympics to recover) but he gave it all in his performances and he grabbed his second consecutive Gold medals.

We'll see how Antonsen would proceed from now. It will be great if the migraine never ever come back. But even if it did, hopefully he would never stop fighting.

14. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

https://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2019/02/01/antonsen-new-kid-on-the-block/

Having exploded in exuberance after beating world champion Kento Momota in the men’s singles final of the DAIHATSU Indonesia Masters last Sunday, Antonsen became clinically detached while discussing the victory. It was almost as if, once he was through with the initial celebrations, he had set the emotion aside to deal with it intellectually. It is a curious trait, perhaps one that signals his ability to shift his intense focus at will, in much the same way he dealt with his changing fortunes against a clever opponent in the final.

“It’s easier said than done, but I was trying to keep calm and trying to stay inside my own head, and control my thoughts and trying to think about every breath I take, and trying to use the audience’s energy but not too much, still trying to stay calm and think of every step,” said Antonsen, about how he had dealt with the enormity of the mental challenge during the 21-16 14-21 21-16 victory over Momota.

To appreciate the quality of Antonsen’s victory, it is important to consider the kind of form Momota was in, going into the final. The world champion had overwhelmed two tough opponents – Anthony Ginting and Viktor Axelsen – in the quarterfinals and semifinals, and few would have anticipated anything but a routine Momota conquest.

But even more than Momota’s immediate form was the aura he has built around himself since his comeback to elite badminton. Starting with the Badminton Asia Championships, he had gone on to win the World Championships, the Japan Open, the Denmark Open and the Fuzhou China Open last year.

And yet, the 21-year-old Dane demonstrated great strategic awareness and execution in dismantling Momota – by the end of the match, the Japanese had no idea how to counter his opponent.

What Antonsen did so well was to completely take away the pace of the game from the Japanese – preferring the high lifts to the attacking clear – extending the battle lines to the full court, as it were, and capitalising on the few openings that came his way. At the net – which was all Momota’s against Ginting and Axelsen – Antonsen not only kept him away, he also pounced at the slightest opportunities he got. All in all, it was an exhibition of the highest quality.

When things didn’t go his way – as in the second game when his lifts fell out due to the drift – Antonsen readjusted while playing from the same difficult side in the second half of the third game.

“It shocked me a little in the second game that there was so much drift, because I felt he was able to play the baseline in the first game, but his technique is really good, so that was probably why,” said Antonsen. “But I was aware of it, and tried to take the offence a bit more, tried to take the net.

“I tried to stay calm, not go for the attack every time, tried to stay patient, and play with variation and play full court. It worked at times, and at other times it didn’t.”

With the first big title under his belt, Antonsen will suddenly find himself as a frontline contender. As part of the new generation of men’s singles shuttlers – Ginting, Jonatan Christie, Sameer Verma and Shi Yuqi being some of the others – Antonsen’s arrival as champion offers tantalising possibilities.

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Looks like Anders Antonsen is into the semi-finals of the Indonesia Open. For whatever reason, Anders does well in Indonesia.

Tomorrow he plays Wong Wing Ki. I think Anders is favored here, especially because WWK has gone through the qualifiers so Anders has a nice advantage because he should be less tired than WWK.

If Anders can beat WWK, the biggest threat is CTC. All told, this is a good chance for Anders to win the Indonesian Open since the strongest opponent left is CTC.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Anders Antonsen , such a gutsy fighter who can often let himself go and rise to the occasion. Also he's not as temperamental as Viktor Axelsen once was, a rising Danish star, anytime soon.

17. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Please write something in WWVK and NKL threads too. They may lose motivation if not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Antonsen will get many points and already be in a good position for playing Olympic games for reaching SF (he will reach Final also Im sure), he is a better player than all his compatriots except for Axelsen

19. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

Two words for him after the final.
    Total Meltdown.

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member