Astrox 88S or 88D

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by xRoyalPhantom, Jun 11, 2018.

1. xRoyalPhantom

xRoyalPhantom New Member

Hi, I've been using a dz strike for quite and while and recently I've switched to the d10. I use the dz strike for only singles and d10 for both singles and doubles. I'm wondering which one of the two: 88s or 88d will be better for me. Seeing both axelsen and momota switch to the 88D, I was leaning towards it more. I've tried out the VZF2 a number of times and I like it quite a lot. How similar is the 88D and the VZF2? Thanks.

2. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

I believe Axelsen switched to the 88S from his DZS.

Based on your past racket history, I would say switching to an 88S might be an easier transition. Seeing as you already tried the ZF2 and enjoyed it, why not switch to that. It's a great racket especially in singles, but can be a bit sluggish in doubles.

As for the 88D, I have personally tried the 3UG5 and found it much easier to use than the ZF2. It didn't offer the same kind of feeling but it was still pretty nice to get.

3. xRoyalPhantom

xRoyalPhantom New Member

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of finding something very similar to the ZF2 but less sluggish, that's why I looked at the two astrox 88 racquets. Was the 88D easy to use for doubles? How was driving/ defense with it?

4. Leo tan

Leo tan Regular Member

I'm a DZS user, I just brought a 3U 88D.
    DZS will be a faster racket as it is a even balance racket as compare to 88D, HeadHeavy (HH).

1st try on 88D, can't get to it full potential in term of smash. My guess is 88D required a full swing as compare to DZS, DZS able to generate power in short smash. If your style of smash is full swing then 88D will be a good change.
    Get a 3u 88D so that you had 2 different racket. 4u 88D will be like DZS

Driving and defense are ok. I will do further test on it.

5. Kokai

Kokai Regular Member

I didn't get to try it too much so I can't say I can provide too much insight on using the 88D. It was pretty similar to my ZF2 in defense, meaning drives and body shots were pretty annoying to get at times. I'm sure it'll get better with time considering I used the 88D for less than an hour and my ZF2 for months.

6. DouglasLee2021

DouglasLee2021 New Member

Following up on this thread, I am a duora z strike user, looking to buy a better racket suited for doubles. Would I be better with 88s or 88d? My play style is more smashing, but I also often play drives. Would it be better to get a racket for my weakness (control) or to exploit my strength (smash)?

7. Stever7425

Stever7425 Regular Member

88s will feel too flexible for you coming from dzs imo.. go for 88d between the 2..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

8. throttlementok

throttlementok Regular Member

I would say go for 88D. I owned both of the 88S and 88D, for smashing and drives 88D really good and Astrox 88 has a tagline “Doubles Redifined” and yes it is so good for doubles.

For your playing style, 88D has great power and angle for smashes and it is so fast for defense and drives.

I also owned the DZS, for the feel 88S has nearly the same feeling with DZS, but considering your playing style 88D will be more suitable.