Astrox 88D or 99

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mark Davies, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Mark Davies

Mark Davies New Member

I currently use an Astrox 77 3U G4 strung with BG66 Force at 25LBS and I like it but am struggling a bit with generating power from the back of the court. This may not be the remedy for me but I've decided to get another racket as I need to get a spare anyway incase I break my strings. I've decided on either a
    88D in 4U or a
    99 in 4U but unfortunately I can't try one out first because of where I live
    I mostly play doubles but do occasionally play singles and mostly on plastics. I'm not a very good player but I do really enjoy my badminton having moved over from playing squash for many years.
    Which racket do you guys think would be the best choice for me and which string and tension
    Many thanks in advance

2. WonderfulChild

WonderfulChild Regular Member

If you are already struggling with generating power with a 3U AX77 and you aren't a very good player then these racket choices would not be great considering they are quite stiff, which will actually make it harder to generate power without proper technique.

3. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Agreed, especially with plastics, even more stiffer rackets will usually be harder on your playing. Would not recommend it foe most people.

The key to power in rackets is to use the flex to your advantage, play with the timing and quickness of your stroke, instead of trying to hit it with your strength.

4. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Astrox 77 3u should be the perfect racket for you. More flex = more power! Stiffer = more accuracy!

My two tips:
    1) Less tension 25lbs -> 23lbs = more power, bigger sweetspot
    2) Forearm rotation (pronation)

Tec07 likes this.
  5. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

Astrox 66 if you're struggling on generating power?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

6. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

More weight and more weight in the racket head should speak for the Astrox 77. Especially as a man!
    The problem is not the racket, but the technique.

7. Mark Davies

Mark Davies New Member

Just a quick update. I couldn’t resist getting the Astrox 99 in 4U G4 and had it strung with BG80 @24LBS
    I’ve played 4 times with it now and am loving it. My smashes are definitely harder and my touch play has improved and I’ve mostly played doubles with it. I am definitely happier with it than the 77 which I was a bit concerned about but I’m really glad I bought it.

8. Cameron01

Cameron01 Regular Member

What aspects of the 77 made you worried about it?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

9. Mark Davies

Mark Davies New Member

I was a little bit concerned about getting the 99 as a couple of replies I've had have suggested that i may struggle even more with the 99 but it seems to be fine.The 77 was great but I needed another racket anyway and I couldn't stop myself from wanting the 99. So far I'm really enjoying it

10. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

You do not feel like it is harder to get a clear to the other back of the court with the 99 ? Good for you then !

11. Mark Davies

Mark Davies New Member

No I am pleasantly surprised with it and enjoying it. It feels lighter in the hand than the 77 does too