Lesbe majority or not

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by scamp, Feb 23, 2019.

1. scamp

scamp Regular Member

A friend of mine said most of women in tennis are gay (lesbian) and then said same as in badminton that majority of women doubles and singnles players are lesbian. I mentioned some who are married so must be straight but he said no, for they must be bi. It seems in tennis gay is quite common but i don't know about badminton because it has no publicity and fame.

2. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    who cares

decoy, kwun and phihag like this.
  3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Ask your friend for sources of their preposterous statement. As they made an outlandish claim, the burden of proof lies on them.

There's really not much more to discuss, especially because your friend has already attempted to make his (going out on a limb here, it's his and not her) hypothesis infalsifiable: By his theory, even a woman married to a man does not count.

A more sensible formulation of your friend's hypothesis is The majority all badminton players whose sexual orientation is known are LGBTQ. While it's only anecdotal, you can ask yourself what the statistics among your badminton friends (starting with your friend and yourself).

There are certainly LGBTQ-only or LGBTQ-related clubs where the majority of players are LGBTQ. But among the top players, as well as all players, there is no reason to believe that the number of LGBT badminton – or tennis – players is any different from the general population, i.e. somewhere between 2% and 8%.

LenaicM likes this.
  4. scamp

scamp Regular Member

She said it was common knowlege in tennis and did not send her daughter to a tennis academy near home because where she lives it is known to be a gay hotbed. This is why she asked me about badminton for she knows I am a player and quoted that Christinna Pedersen and Kamilla Juhl are lesbians. It is quite common probably. The question is whethger a female is disposed to that inclination or may be influenced or even coerced in some circumstances like in an academy.

Also she told me Maragret Court made an announcement which I found https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...layers-took-younger-players-into-parties.html

#4 scamp, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

So what? It's not like homosexuality is contagious. Chose Tennis or Badminton based on what the daughter likes more. Why does your friend care about the sexuality of other people?

Note the article you quote contains a different statement: It says that there are many LGB players in top-level tennis, not that it's a majority.
    In any case, in order to find truth, you should seek out scientists and experts, not hearsay, and certainly not people with ideological motives.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    This is ridiculous in many ways. One pair of badminton players are lesbian and then suddenly the majority are lesbian? That's so statistically wrong. If you don't want your daughter to be associated with lesbian, it is your choice, but it is very dangerous to generalized that way.

phihag and LenaicM like this.
  7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I would like to commend scamp and all those who have replied, for putting their questions and answers in a straight-forward and polite manner.

In most forums this sort of topic can get ugly, quickly.
    Dear Mods, please consider closing this thread whilst the conversation is still civilised and un-trolled.

kwun and LenaicM like this.
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    For now I think it is ok to leave it open. It will be closed the moment it heats up.

Fidget likes this.