Li Ning Rackets Fan Club :)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tckang, Sep 16, 2009.

1. justplaynow77

justplaynow77 Regular Member

I just got it several days ago and tested it on court today.

Spec wise I think this was 3D Breakfree 90 IV TD - identical spec to the dot. Is this true?

Wet BP is 295 (with string and grip replacement). Despite this "slightly HH" spec, somehow the head weight can really be felt on my hand, giving it a heavier feel than my other 295 BP racket (Mizuno Technix 1.2) and hence speed-wise it is slightly slower. But then maybe I am still not used to it and it will get faster the more I play with it (I give it 8/10 for speed and defense)

Flex is medium, I guess the "slightly soft" flex means it really is just "slightly" soft.. like maybe 5% softer than medium flex. Smashes are quite sharp (not flat like when we smash with a flex shaft), and when it hits the shuttlecock it gives my hand the same feeling as punching the sack and repulsion is decent (I give it 8/10 for smash and clear).

Control is excellent, net play is a complete fun to use this with as it feels like the extension of my hand (10/10, the best I ever feel for control, especially for first time use. I hope this isnt just my good day. LOL).

tyler_durden and Rob3rt like this.
  2. jatjat726

jatjat726 New Member

Anyone tried Windstorm 78

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

3. justplaynow77

I actually had it.. it's too light for my liking. you cannot feel the head during smash but it is quite fast (which is a given since it is 5U and even balanced or maybe even slightly head light with grip and string installed). Despite its speed, I personally find it hard to defend with it / play fast drive with it because, well, I cannot feel where the racket is. Repulsion is decent and control is good. It is soft flex, so on top of the lack of feel during smash, I was also find it difficult to make a sharp smash (is it always the case for flexible shaft, or did i mis-time it?).

Overall maybe i'd say a good beginner racket for people who tire out easy and prefer to play placements over powers, but it is not on my 'must-buy' list.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Had a similar experience a few days ago where a guy playing at a low regional level came into the shop and went for a 12kg 66UM...probably shouldn't exceed 10,5 or 11kg, but....to each their own :D

5. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Regular Member

air humidifier
    I'm toying with the idea of buying one. Currently I am using severel N7II rackets. Can you compare the 600B with the N7II?

6. justplaynow77

I think N7II will be a faster racket but less repulsive (better suit for double), and flex-wise it depends on which N7II you have. 600B is soft to medium flex, and I think unless you pick N7II light or N7II TF, your racket will be stiffer than 600B. If you want a stiffer version of 600B, take the 900B, which I think was coded N90 IV

7. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Have a 75c on it’s way. Hoping it will be my main singles racket and my N9ii goes to be my choice for doubles - and my allround when my arm gets tired from the Combat :) Will be fun comparing them soon :)

Been thinking of any of the ax88 for a while, but it got too hard too choose among the versions... Anyway, I like the idea of having two rackets with similar frames for easy switching.

yenyesoh, Saru and Sumanth99 like this.
  8. tyler_durden

air humidifier
    Thanks for reply. With "several N7II" I meant I have the normal N7II but not just one. I have two white/gold and the black Hendra Setiawan Ltd Edition. One of the white rackets I bought in Germany the other white and black came from HK. The one from Germany always feels stiffer to me.

Correct me if I am wrong but you compare the N7II referring to the datasheet but you have not yet played it as you did with the 600B.
    Have you played the 900B that you could rate 600B vs 900B. I think I would like to have a slightly more even balanced racket for doubles than the N7II / 70.
    You mentioned regarding the 600B "somehow the head weight can really be felt on my hand" allthough it has a BP of 290mm. The N7II / 70 has a BP of 295mm and you think it's faster anyway. Do you think this is caused by different frame geometry and air resistance? Would apply for the 900B consequently as well ...:(

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Take into consideration both weight and BP - one without the other is useless information. If you want an idea of how two rackets compare, take a look at the racket matrix in the catalogue it'll give you a rough idea at least.
    If you want a more balanced, heavier racket than the N7ii, I think you might want to give the 600C a try.

10. tyler_durden

air humidifier
    The 600C is 86g (1g less than N7II) and has a BP of 300mm instead 290mm(600B) and 295mm(N7II).
    Hence I assume the 600C more HH and lighter. :confused:

11. justplaynow77

Correct. I have not played with N7II before. In hindsight, I played with TC 20 (the flex and cheaper version of TC 75) and it did feel slower.. which made me wonder about the whole Turbocharging = Fast, Calibar = Power keywords that they try to "brainwash" us with (maybe BP and weight are still the most important factors than frame designs). So... maybe N7II will be as slow as the TC 20 I tried, being from the same BP and weight category.

900B and 600B feels no different in my hand, to be honest, maybe if I play longer I will begin to feel the fatigue playing with a supposedly stiffer racket, but from the 2 games that I played it with, I couldnt feel one was better than the other, so I picked the cheaper one :)

What i mean by "feeling the head weight" is that feeling of knowing how fast the racket is currently swinging during smash and drops especially, giving it a "punching" feeling as it hits through the bird. Some even balanced rackets feels "hollow" as it swings and hits the bird.

Let us know how you feel about the racket when you get your 600B / 900B :)

#5091 justplaynow77, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, but just comparing BP tells you nothing. The Arcsaber Flashboost had a BP of over 310mm, but because of the ridiculously low weight it was unusable except at the lowest levels. The overall feel of a racket is determined by the BP and weight, hence my advice to not look at one in isolation.
    Regarding the 600C vs N7ii, the 600C should feel a bit heavier (5mm BP difference should just about outweigh the 1g weight difference), and it does feel heavier than what I remember of the N7ii.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I haven't read anything from LN that states the frame shape is more important than the weight, maybe I missed sth....
    In any event, the different lines are definitely named for the frame profile, and weight/BP are without question more important than the frame shape regarding the speed of the racket.

14. tyler_durden

air humidifier
    I have played it this evening :) And it must say: NOT BAD!
    Felt quite comfortable in my hand. I'd say not so much diffence compared to my N7II but at first glance not worse in doubles. String setup was not the same but not really an issue. For one-to-one comparision not ideal.
    I had no timing issues the racket is fast and it feels indeed a bit more even balanced than my N7II rackets allthough I can feel the head weight sometimes anyway and not just when hitting the shuttle. Cannot describe that exactly but this is the only thing I have sometimes with my N7II which I do not like in doubles. It is a bit more flexible and I think more flex I would not need. So 600B might be more flexible than required. Probably will never figure that out wihout ordering one because the chance to find someone with a 600B here is close-to-zero.
    Will give it a second try probably in one week when I meet the guy again.

Hey J4ckie,
    of course I had bot in mind BP and weight but I think you are right. If one has a look on the big chart where all LN rackets are listed and you connect the N7II / 70 with the 900B the 600C is almost exactly in the middle. Nevertheless can't get rid of the thought that the 600C feels HH.

btw: I'm still scratching my head why none of the non-highest-end series is available at the well-known online shops in HK. They only offer Calibar 900 series but not 600 series. What's going on there because you can get the 600s in Germany easily??

justplaynow77 likes this.
  15. justplaynow77

Yes.. NOT BAD indeed! By the way if you are negatively affected by the soft flex then it means you should go for the 900B as it is supposedly stiffer (stiffness rating 8.5 vs 600B's rating of 8.7 and the stiffest LN racket is now 8.3 from the scale of 8 to 9). Does the flex affect you on ball control and netplays, or mostly on that "mushy" feel on smashes?

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I don't know, really, perhaps they opted not to buy them as they're not quite as popular...? Too me, the 600C is quite balanced. But I'll also say that the N7ii was too light for my taste, and I consider it an almost (head) light racket....N9ii (TC75) was slightly better (I. E. just a touch heavier), TC75C is significantly heavier than that.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Racket flexibility isn't much of a factor in net play, really

18. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Where can I find li-nings stiffness ratios?

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The ratings are in the descriptions of the racket in the new catalogue. A lower number means a stiffer shaft (afaik they measure how much a certain weight deform the shaft when put on the head, with the handle fixed in place)

20. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Ok, I've been browsing through this, but can't see anything like that in there:
    https://shopbadmintononline.com/files/LN_badminton_racket_guide.pdf