Direct/hotlinking images

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by demolidor, Oct 19, 2007.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I propose a new rule :p: no hotlinking of images unless it's is clearly permitted. There are enough free imagehosts around like photobucket or imageshack to upload them yourself and save the source some unnecessary traffic.

Also how can I manage my attachments here? Already over the limit and can't remove anything (I think) :confused:

2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    agree with you demolidor... :).. save bc bandwith !!! :D

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sorry to sound computer illiterate but what is meant by 'hotlinking'?:D

I usually upload my small images to BC with attachments. Is this hotlinking?

4. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

I think at the begining just ban the type of image format and image dimension like no bitmat format & too wide diemension image should be attached will not be too harsh.

Coz some members attach the image which it size even wider than the windows.

The image can be crop and convert to gif format by just using the excel.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D hotlinking as I understand it is copying the image location of another site and posting it here as a direct copy so still linking to the original site.
    At the Dutch Open pics for instance say all the pics hotlinked are 4 MB x hundreds of pageviews, take 800 from yesterday x 4 MB = 3200 MB of traffic alone for the german badminton photo site. Fortunately he has unlimited bandwidth so in this case it isn't a problem but might be something people should consider when they are posting pictures ;).

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

But indeed "we" can save bc bandwidth as well by using the free imagehosts :) Makes it easier to manage for yourself as well. Imageshack has become horrendous so I recommend Photobucket.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

To hotlink or not..

..that is the main question;)..I think in the current Dutch Open tourney, yes the bandwidth for the host server will accrue a lot of hits mainly because of the traffic..But over time, most likely after 2-3 weeks, the traffic should dwindle as less and less, or i would say more and more people move on to follow the next tourney(s). However, yeah, i understand your concern, demolidor..:cool:
    Btw, what do you mean by you are "already over the limit and can't remove anything"? I think after 15 minutes, only kwun can remove whatever pics/files we've uploaded, if requested by us..;)
    ..IMO, the advantage of hotlinking thru imageshack or photobucket or other similar storage websites is the ability to control/alter or change whatever pic/file we've uploaded (different than when posting in BC)..The disadvantage is, to some people, it may be a bit more of a hassle to have to go thru the post-editing (resizing), then to upload the pics in a different server and finally pasting the link in BC.
    Personally, in my earlier BC period/"existence", i would just attach whatever pic(s) using BC's/kwun's allotted hard drive space..But since last yr or the yr before, i've been hotlinking thru, yes photobucket.com (partly to save some HD space on BC's/kwun's PC)..;):cool:

#7 ctjcad, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i do agree with it. besides the fact that we can slow down other badminton website, it is possible that some time in the future, the site decide to take down or move the image and our threads will suddenly lose some content.

however, i do think using imageshack or photobucket is a good idea. i was told images there are permanent and it also save some bandwidth and storage space from BC's server.

HOWEVER, (there is alway a however, unfortunately) there is current no mechanism to allow/disallow hotlinking from selected sites. either we turn it all off, or turn it all on. with this in mind, we can only spread the word and encourage members to use imageshack/photobucket for hotlinking.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks. I got confused because you said 'no hotlinking' in the 1st thread.:D

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    What Was That Again?

Duh, but if you're against hotlinking, then why are we talking about which image-host is better? :confused::confused::confused:

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Hotlinking where it is allowed is okay ofcourse hence imagehosts ;).

you forgot to blue this eh: unless it's is clearly permitted

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    you're right, demolidor... my apologies :eek:
    grrrrrr... am sure getting old :mad:

I guess kwun got it right...

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I have also seen forums where you can only see the attachments when you are logged in. Maybe something for bc so it won't load every time someone views a page. As for linking from external sites a sticky with advice maybe but no one will bother to follow it so the mods would have to check on that :p.

14. davidspen

davidspen New Member