Advice regarding PU Grips for sweaty palms

Discussion in 'Grip' started by SetAround, Feb 25, 2019.

1. SetAround

SetAround Regular Member

Hi there folks,

I spent a great deal going through old threads on various sites to gather some information for pu grips for sweaty palms. I have used towel grips the longest, but the problem I have with them is that they get hard and thus cause scratching quite quickly (1 to 1,5 hours). Even with grip powder.

In many threads people recommend sweat bands, proper storage of rackets, rotating rackets, toweling down and so on and so forth as measures against grip decay. I know these already.
    However, I am looking for information regarding grips for sweaty palms, and only palms. And this means the grip has to be usable when the palms are sweaty. For example, I saw the Karakal Super PU pop up quite often, but that one is not suited for sweaty palms, as it gets slippery when wet, and I don´t understand why so many people recommend it.

Mind you, there is a difference between sweaty hands (where the sweat may not necessarily come from the palms, and its bad effects are much less severe) and sweaty palms (some people have dry hands except the palms for example)!

So, to conclude: A grip which, when wet, does not get slippery, but stays usable in regards to control and gripping is something I, and perhaps others with similar proplems, are looking for. I found quite a lot of recommendations, but I have never used any of them (except the YY super grap, but that isn´t so great for sweaty palms):

YY AC106 Wet Super Excel Grip
    YY AC135 Strong Grap
    YY AC143 Tacky Fit Grip
    YY AC153 Dry Tacky Grip
    YY AC147 Clean grap
    Wilson Overgrip Pro : Garbage.
    Wilson Micro Dry Comfort (the original indoor type seems to be discontinued)
    Babolat Pro Tacky X3 : Ok, but NOT for sweaty palms, as it gets slippery when wet.
    Tourna-Grip : Very very good. The only PU grip I can use so far.
    Gamma Pro-Wrap : NOT good at all, gets slippery when wet.

I am at quite a loss here, because except from buying all these and trying them out I can only ask for help here, and when looking at my budget I prefer to ask first. Thank you very much everybody!

#1 SetAround, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    Yonex ac102 and Wilson pro are about the same in terms of sweat absorption.

Tourna Grip actually works better/gets tackier when wet, very good absorbency. The standard in sweat absorption, but only avg durability .

Gamma pro I felt was a wannabe worse version of tourna. Head pro is closer to replicating the tourna properties, and thinner. Volkl vdry is the closest to tourna but not quite with better cushioning. I felt head pro and volkl vdry outlasted tourna Grip in terms of durability .

Head super comp and volkl vtac are better at sweat absorption than Wilson pro or yonex ac102 with head supercomp being softer, volkl vtac thinner. similar durabilities .

My advice: if sweat absorption is your biggest concern, start with the benchmark tourna Grip and hopefully my comments can help steer you in the right direction .

SetAround, Babar and visor like this.
  3. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Hello
    Having myself sweaty palms too I use head pro grip (a tennis grip) which is very good. A good plus is that it dries fast and stay decent even when soaking wet.
    I use it over the original grip of all my racquets and I am very satisfied.
    Durability is said to not be too good but I find it okay.

SetAround likes this.
  4. Furyan

Furyan Regular Member

My favourite grip is the rkep g08, but that is the older version and I haven't tried the new version. As I'm running low on them I have tried the Tourna grip xl and Tourna tac xl, neither last as long as rkep but of the 2 I preferred the tac xl.
    The grip xl didn't last long at all and while the tac xl is also worn at the thumb area it has lasted me probably 2 or 3 times as long. Anyone with experience of the new rkep g08 thoughts would be appreciated.

SetAround likes this.
  5. SetAround

SetAround Regular Member

Sorry @offbad for replying so late!

First of all, thank you very much for your suggestion! After reading your message I did as you advised and these are my findings:

I tested 4 different ones simultaneously, the Tourna Grip, the Gamma Pro Wrap, the Babolat Pro Tacky X3 and the Wilson Overgrip Pro. I did not test the Wilson Micro Dry Comfort, because that one is a replacement grip. And I need some thickness for my grips, and a replacement does not fit the formula I have found to build my perfect grip size. Anyways, these are the results:

Tourna Grip: The only one that really is useful for sweaty palms, could use it until I would have to change it. I can confirm it does get grippier when becoming more wet because of the sweat, durability though is medium at best, and that is the only downside. I used the XL version because I wrap with a 50% overlap. Recommended!

Gamma Pro Wrap: Nice for the first hour, then it gets slippery. Had problems gripping the racket tightly when using power, and it isn´t even summer! Has soft cloth-like feel. Not recommended for sweaty palms.

Babolat Pro Tacky X3: Nice for a short time, better than the Gamma Pro Wrap, but different feel. Much tackier, less cloth-like feel. It gets slippery when wet though, takes about 1 to 2 hours for that to happen. Again, it isn´t even summer yet, so I reckon then it will be much worse. All in all not recommended for sweaty palms. However, if you have only very slightly sweaty palms this may work.

Wilson Overgrip Pro: Garbage. Slippery when just feeling it after putting it on the handle. For sweaty palms the absolute nightmare. A friend of mine with dry palms said it was nice, so there you go. His palms stay dry, even when other places on his hands are sweating. Anyhow, for sweaty palms not recommended at all.

EDIT: At the moment I play around 3 to 4 times a week for a couple of hours. So when I say durability is medium that means around two weeks at my current playing rate. In the future when I go to Malaysia for a while I am able to play for 7 days a week and I will have yet to see how long the tourna grip can last under those circumstances. It does dry off between sessions but it changes color quickly and yes, that color change is an indication of its usability. The darker the less grippy when wet it becomes. Although even right before I change it is STILL better than all the other 3 I have tested along with it, and that should speak for itself.

#5 SetAround, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    offbad and speCulatius like this.
  6. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    What's this about a new G08? I got a few stragglers in my last order that are tacky and completely unsuitable for sweaty hands. I was hoping they were mislabeled G10, but the design has changed?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk