Calculus...difficult??

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LazyBuddy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    my god... i HATE physics right now... maybe because my teacher doesn't speak english well.... or maybe because she's a bad teacher....

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Maths is conceptual and has certain rules. Once you introduce physics and its restraints by physical laws, problem solving becomes more complex.

Certainly maths is easier to learn how to problem solve.

Physics in real life could never exist without maths. Maths, however, can exist without physics :)

3. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Calculus is a piece of cake. You take ch/cr and you get chocolate cake :). You take c2h/cr2 and you get double chocolate cake:D. Yummy.

Ron

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Errrr...

Think that I made good decisions back then: doing calculus HW then play badminton, to keep myself in shape after sooooooo much "chocolate cake" theories... :eek:

5. utChad

utChad New Member

Calculus Concerns

Hello. I have grave concerns regarding calculus. I'm going into the University of Tennessee as a sophomore (barely). The only math course I've taken in college is College Algebra, in which I received an A. However, I've been out of the math scene for quite awhile. It's been two years since I've taken College Algebra and six years since I last tackled geometry. I never took trigonometry in high school or college.

I suppose the good news is that I've never gotten a grade below an A in my math courses. However, it is quite unfair to take too much pride in that because I only took Geometry, Algebra I & II (high school), and College Algebra; I haven't taken "advanced" math courses such as trigonometry or calculus...ever.

For my first semester at UT, I'm taking precalculus and another math class simultaneously. The other math class I'm taking is supposed to be for students who have never taken trigonometry in high school and are currently taking precalculus. It only counts for one semester hour. It's some kind of lab to teach you trig functions and such.

My question stems from this: Without having had taken trigonometry in high school and absolutely no knowledge of calculus, am I committing academic suicide by taking precalculus for my first semester at UT? Has anybody else encountered a situation like this? I look at it like this: at least I'm not diving straight into Calculus I. But, I want other people's opinions on this issue.

I'm trying to prepare as much as possible to succeed. I have a tutor lined up as well as my independent class to help me with trig functions for calculus. I'd just like to know if it is going to be that bad never having had taken trig before and taking precalculus before Calculus I.

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I would like to get a opinion from LB on this. Please let me know what you think. I also did TA in math back when I was in grad school.

I think Trig is needed for Cal, because there are part of cal involve trig. If you are good in Advance algebra, you should be OK in part of Cal. However, what if a question like d/dx(sin(x))? You need to have idea what is the function of sin(x) mean. Yes, if you are taking business cal only, you might not use geo or trig. I do not know if UT offer business cal. so I will say, take trig before you taking pre-cal and cal.

Good luck and I hope this help.

7. valkyier

valkyier Regular Member

Ermmm...can anyone explain to me what does spelling got to do with Calculus:confused: I can't see the relationship between english and calculus...

8. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i graduated college with a degree in mechanical engineering, i dont know how in the hell i passed all my math subjects:eek: algebra, calculus, trigonometry, geometry, advance engineering math, physics......:crying: all i wanted to learn was how to install twin-turbos and a supercharger to a civic type r :p seriously, everything with numbers sucks except for money:D you really need calculus and other math related subjects to be able to graduate, all these are related to one another so you need to take them, how the subject is thought depends i think on how its related to what your taking up, like for example your taking up engineering well that involves lots of numbers and computation so the level on how they teach you is higher compared to someone lets say whose taking up archeology.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    On Calculus

LOL, pretty funny :) On an oppositie note, a mechnical engineer had asked me about whether to buy a hydundai Pony (crappy) car and what is points and condenser ignition?? LOL

On calculus, here is my memorable classic from the Simpsons
    ------------------------------------------------------------

In the episode "Bart The Genius" (7G02) of The Simpsons, fourth-grader Bart Simpson has cheated on a mathematics exam and pays for his evil ways by getting transferred to a school for gifted children, where he is way over his head.

Partial text translation of the scene:

Teacher: So y = r cubed over 3. And if you determine the rate of change in this curve correctly, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    [The class laughs except for Bart who appears confused.]
    Teacher: Don't you get it, Bart? Derivative dy = 3 r squared dr over 3, or r squared dr, or r dr r. Har-de-har-har! Get it?

Note that what the teacher says is not necessarily what she writes on the board!

Attached Files:

#29 cooler, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

On Trig

Lisa: Ooh, look, Maggie! What is that? Dodecahedron! Dodecahedron!

Homer: Lisa, I don't know what you're doing, but it's very strange, and your father is trying to worry.

Attached Files:

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I pretty much agree with the above. Trig is important to either pre-cal or cal, as many functions do involve the fundamental understanding and calculation of trig.

If possible, try to complete Trig course 1st, then get into pre-cal. However, if UT on purposely make u take both together, I assume they do have their reason, such as the pre-cal will slowly introduce ideas of trig, and play a "catch up" when compare to the other course.

If u doing well in math previously, I think u should be fine, as long as u work hard. Seems u have pretty solid math background, with enough practice (besides just HW), I think u should be fine. ;)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

On Advance Algebra

Bart Gets An F (7F03, 10/11/90)

Bart and Martin board the school bus.

Bart: Only geeks sit in the front seat. From now on, you sit in the back row. And that's not just on the bus, it goes for school and church, too.
    Martin: Why?
    Bart [softly]: So no one can see what you're doing!
    Martin: Ooh, I think I understand ... [takes a pencil and starts writing] the potential for mischief varies inversely with one's proximity to the authority figure! [Shows his equation to Bart: M \propto 1/P]
    Bart: Well, yeah, but don't say it like that....

Attached Files:

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

On Geometry

Lisa, armed with a measuring tape, helps Bart play miniature golf.

Lisa: The basis of this game seems to be simple geometry. All you have to do is hit the ball … here.

[The ball is hit, gets bounced around, and goes into the hole.]

Bart: I can’t believe it. You’ve actually found a practical use for geometry!

Attached Files:

14. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think caculus at the highschool level is very straightforward. Once at university, the course is still somewhat straightforward but the material has been moved to a much higher plane and if one doesn't practice enough problems and/or study what has been taught, it's tough to score very well. I think it's one of those subjects that is not extremely difficult to understand/learn but can become difficult for a student if he/she doesn't work enough questions on it.

After a year in electrical engineering, I think that in comparison to other university maths, calculus is actually easier in terms of material ie. both Linear Algebra and Differential Equations are tougher to understand (more abstract).... But in the end, all higher level math courses require much practice and work to achieve results.

15. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yeah, just tell me about it.. i struggled.. i'm a slacker, haha :D

but hey, i made it to electrical engineering too. i'm going into second year so technically it's my first yr in E E. Hugo, are you going into third yr?

16. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    ^^

Sorry, my bad on the typing. I'm actually entering electrical engineering (2nd year engg) as well. So, maybe we'll have some classes together!

17. glencomienda111

manager

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

19. glencomienda111

manager
    really? anyway i dont know about their curriculum but i had i.c.e(internal combustion engine) subject, it dealt on how an engine works, gasoline and diesel engines. btw no offense meant to your friend. maybe im into cars alot more:D

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Eh, I would like to revive "THIS OLD THREAD". I have done binominal, trig, dif, single, double and triple integral back "OH SO MANY YEARS AGO" But pretty much everything has gone back to the instructors. What are the way(s) to get back into math shape? I am planning to get quite a couple of social science courses that will require very usage of math . . .

You are reading an older folk's rambling . . . It's Christmas. Please help him out :D.