Unstrung a racquet to re-use the string ...

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by flyingcords, Apr 1, 2019.

1. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

... is it worth a try ?

I have a brand new string on a racquet that is too tight, so I was thinking of restringing it, but I would like to try to re-use the string since it's new. For sure it will be too short, so I will need to add another piece of string at the end. I was thinking to string this piece at the end of the process doing last main, last cross and last main with it.

Do you think the result will be awful or ok ?

And do you think the process of unstrunging the racquet well fixed on the machine using reverse process to take it back slowly will be safe for the frame ?

#1 flyingcords, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Nah man, please don't. It's already bent and stretched. A new string is just a few bucks mate.

s_mair and Rob3rt like this.
  3. flyingcords

Pre-stretched :)

4. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    ... No... just buy new string...

5. flyingcords

Yeah I know, I know, it's more like an experiment not just to save money. I would like to try to see if the result is not bad. If it's doable.
    And I simply just wanna read if anybody has tried already.

6. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I don't think a pro-stringer would admit to it even if they do it week after week :D

7. flyingcords

Here there is no gain of time, on the contrary (a lot of time to unstrung the string and a lot of time to string a string that is not fresh and right plus the extra piece of string to add, just thinking and writing about it, I think I will probably forget about doing all this)
    ... and just to be more precise : it's about my racquet, I will never try to do something like that and get paid !

kwun likes this.
  8. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Guilty - kinda. When I was learning to string I misweaved a cross on #3 (4 knot yonex pattern) but only saw the mistake when I got to the top. I just pulled out the string, redid the crosses with the same string because I had already done the starting knot. Looked at the racket for a minute then cut the strings. The entire job was poor so can't say if re-using the string was a problem :oops:

If you are reusing a tied and cut string how can you reuse it, will it be too short?

9. flyingcords

10. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Isn't there too much danger of damaging his racket? There are some forces working when you want to get the string out "clean".

11. flyingcords

I was planning to undo the entire process, clamping in reverse mode. As if you looked at a video of stringing in reverse. So, long process to keep the frame and the string ok.

12. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I have so many whys I don't know where to start.

13. flyingcords

Ok, everyone here has convinced me not to try.

Too much work for too much doubts about the result = DO NOT RE-USE a strunged string !

Thanks for your replies.

14. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

On the other hands, if someone breaks his racket, it's a good idea to pick it up and reuse the grommets. I have a customer with a 1990 racket and all the grommet is broken. I said to him only the cost of grommet is 7$ for the whole racket. So if time is not problem someone can reuse the grommet if it's remove carefully...

Last week someone through his racket I didn't pick it up. I regretted it since.

15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Really? I don't think the time of getting the grommets out is worth it. Grommets are so cheap nowadays.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I don't see why it cannot be done nor do i see any issue with stress to the racket, etc if the frame and the strings are supported / clamped properly.

however, something that can be done doesn't always mean it should be done. :)

I don't see the purpose unless you have gobs of free time. not only does taking out the string takes time (with care), also stringing it on another racket, with the string shorter than normal, means that you need to spend extra time to deal with patching/clamping a short string and also patch up the missing length at the end. you might end up spending another 30+ mins on it.

do it if you want to spare a few dollars and your time is free. :cool: