Competitions in clubs

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by VanguardGrunt, Mar 21, 2019.

1. VanguardGrunt

VanguardGrunt New Member

Hi, I run the recreational side of my University badminton club and I'm looking to introduce some more competitive play during our sessions as many of our players wish to have more serious games but are not team standard. I've looked into putting a ladder system in place or running box leagues but have never used either before so would like someone to help explain them to me or let me know about a different way to offer competitive games without having a super strict format. I want to keep the community and inclusive feel of the club but also want people to be able to switch on and have a competitive game in a social atmosphere.
    Any ideas would be great as this is the only way I can give people there games without asking for extra funding so having this in place means people can get what they want if we don't have the funds for extra teams etc.
    Thanks

2. pughon

pughon Regular Member

#2 pughon, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  3. VanguardGrunt

VanguardGrunt New Member

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I've done this quite a few times in 'King of the court' style but with our numbers it's not great to have a 'King' pair as they get far more games, it also sometimes means you can end up with uneven games. I would like to try to do this at some point but I was hoping for a more league like thing that would only mean one or two serious matches throughout the night but it would run over a few months.

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

What about creating a ranking system based on the BWF one with a twist? It would goes like this:

- Depending of the number of pair (assuming doubles here), create a given number of tournaments with randomized draws in a final phase form for each one
    - Each night = 1 match per pair
    - The next night the winning pairs confront each others and so on until a final and mini-final (to determine a third place) takes place
    - The next nights, the loosing pairs simply practice when out of the tournament so they progress and work on what went wrong
    - 1st place take 20 points, 2nd 15, 3rd 10, 4th 5, 5th 4, 6th 3, 7th 2 and 8th 1.
    - Assuming after a few months you would have create a few tournaments, say 12 here, then only the 6 best results for each pair count in order for other not to feel unmotivated and already giving up after a few early exits tournaments.
    - You can update the ranking every time a "tournament" is over in order to motivates the players based on results.

Well that might be a bit too serious... :rolleyes:

5. VanguardGrunt

VanguardGrunt New Member

That's I really good idea, thanks. I've never thought of running a tournament over a few weeks because when we do run one it's so hard on us to keep track but once the initial plan's in place this wouldn't be too hard to run. I'll see what the captain thinks but it would be good to have lots of opportunities to win as it's hard to have a goal to aim for at rec.

6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I do own a club for hobby/recreation/fun play. It not that im the leader, but i manage it with my friend. Even if we call it hobby/recreational, we still play with skill & strategy. So i could say fun but serious games.

Idk where it start, but at 1st me & many of my friend with badminton hobby gather & play together in routine schedule at least once a week. As time goes few of my friend stop playing (with many reason like moving to other city, married, etc), but on other hand outsider come to join us & we welcome them. Or other group that losing member significantly merge with our group. So me & my friend end up managing our club consist of alot of people known/unknown, man/woman, advance to intermediate skill.

I didnt manage any competition at all but we naturally like to chalange each other.
    Like for example
    1. me & my friend. This 2 pair of outsider (well now we know each other & become friend) love to challange us, so often we play agains them & competate each other.

2. As we had many skill lv player, sometimes we had to pair the team. Like if 2 intermediate player agains 2 advance player, the result is clear & no challange. So we mix it 1advance & 1 intermediate each team. This to become a competition that me with this intermediate player agains the same team combination.

So basically we naturally put our aim to beat this pair. We know each other, play together alot, & know each other style. But we challanged by our self, if im teamed with this player, could i beat this pair combination? We comunicate & the competition start by itself. So no strict rule, not to formal, & still fun.