Shouting/cheering at opponents errors

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by speedyJT, Oct 28, 2013.

1. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

7 stupid cousins! hahahaha, as soon as i read that i couldn't stop laughing. it's pathetic of them to do that since you've mopped the floor with all of them. but you do face a very tough mental situation here and only mental giants would be able to come thru without having spectators like that affect your performance.

2. y11971alex

y11971alex Regular Member

Normally, I attempt to appear unemotional, but bits of emotion do "leak" from time to time. It's never really a good thing to let one's opponent perceive one as an emotional player.

When I play a good shot, I usually just stay silent. When I play a bad shot, I look the other direction and roll my eyes or say, under my breath, "come on", "get it up" or suchlike. When my opponent plays a great shot, one that I've been expecting to win, I occasionally give a clap with my hand and racquet face, but not too frequently, as I think that dilutes the meaning of that gesture.

When my opponent plays a really, really poor shot, such as a total air shot on a sure winner, I try, again, to be unemotional. Sometimes, I say "lucky me" to anybody watching, which usually was just a few people waiting to get on court in high school badminton club/team. If it's really that funny... well I can always bury my face in the racquet bag and cough to conceal the laughter.

"What are you doing with your head in the racquet bag?"

"Nothing, just sniffing the shuttles."

There was one time when animosities between my teammate and myself grew greater than between the two teams. He went so far as to clap for the opposing team's good shots and jeer mine. So after the match, my teammate refused to shake my hand, but both of us shook the other team's hands. It was an embarrassing moment for me, but I think not shaking the opposing team's hands is far worse than not shaking your partner's hand.

Strangely enough, apparently most other people shout "come on" when they win. I only shout "come on" when I lose the point (after all, what's the point of "come on" if you just won?)

3. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

whats the difference of "yes" or "come on" in that situation??? It is exactly the same for me! Maybe a "yes" is even less bad because its simply honest (Yes-we scored an important point!) whereas a "come on"...why would i say come on to myself after service error of opponent?! makes no sense

If I was your opponent, i would be more annoyed by constant apologizes than by shouts! Why do you apologize for something you do all the time anyway?! by purpose so to speak - makes no sense and would annoy me

4. OhSearsTower

never in opponents direction! i think this is very offending! no matter after what rallye!

I think shouting is part of the game, if its a competetive game players should feel free to "enjoy" their emotions. but not in the direction of you opponent in my opinion

Simeon likes this.
  5. OhSearsTower

in general i think its a personal thing...nobody is the same..everybody has its own emotions and ways to express it...

in a tight and important match i tend to shout things like "yes" or "come on"..but in a match with long exchanges it hurts me bad because i really suffer the oxygen loss from the shout! so i really keep the shouting to a minimum and rather take every millisecond to take deep breathes lol

so usually im fistpumping to myself a lot then - halfway or completely turned away from the opponent

it happened one single time in my badminton life that i experienced an opponent who i really thought was disrespectful and behaved very rude

i did not shake hands with him
    its always seen as sore loser thing...but in my opinion shaking hands is a respectful gesture of thanking for the game
    if a player behaves like **** and i dont enjoy the game at all i think it is just honest to not shake hands!
    see it that way: if i shake hands (which i do 99,5% of the time) its an honest thank you! with worth and not because "i have to"

#25 OhSearsTower, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

What do players shout though?

I always hear 'Shooo' etc ... any ideas?

7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Personal experience - a few years back when my daughter was still very young (14, perhaps). She played in a local tournament facing an ex-professional player in WS. The opponent certainly was already in her 30's, possibly even 40's. It's clear this pro was way above my kid. At one point, when she made a mistake and lost a point, my wife cheered our kid and yelled "yes!". This pro lost her temper, and almost wanted to throw her racket at us, and stomped out of the court. A few things went wrong. As a pro, I expected her to handle herself better in a match, focusing more on her games than what happened around her. Also being a pro against a kid, her behavior demonstrated her shallowness!

8. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

So here are my considerations:
    Weekend? check.
    Club clash? check.
    Opponents claim others' response to error not fair.
    Teammates behind are off the court? Check.
    You won the match.
    You said sorry for your cheering.
    You thanked opponents for a good game.
    Sportsmanship is important to you.
    You hesitate to compare. Check​

When you are saying sorry after the match, it is a tad too late. The timely opportunity was when the opponent made the unfair claim.

It was not a good game for the opponents, was it? They lost. Better response would be just thanks. Best response would be to buy them their favourite drink.

In a club match, you see each other more often. Remember your sportsmanship? Use that. You may suddenly have a new BFF instead of all that happened.

For me, whenever there is a 'but' point made, it is contradictory to what followed earlier. And since everyone in the world is doing it, does not mean you should too. Let your individuality and humility shine on the club courts.

Not many responders of this forum where there. However, it appears that you are seeking justification of your action from them, a validation of your behaviour. The best persons are the ones who were across the net from you. Nothing much lost, you could still make amends immediately the next time you see either of them. The very same description you used, that you knew their teammates were clapping with your errors, that you are competitive, that they bring out the best in you, and all that.

I thank you for the opportunity you provided to respond; taking my opinions hat off and will now wear asbestos briefs. Flame away.

9. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Yeah, I'll admit I didn't know this was a controversial topic! Here in China it is totally fine to get excited and shout when your opponent makes an error. In a competition or friendly match it is the same.

Although in a friendly match do you guys ever say a sarcastic "Thank you" when your opponent hits the net in a serve or does some other dumb mistake? I think I read in some post long ago that some people hate that, but where I play we all do it all the time and it's kinda just funny banter.

Or, when your opponent makes a mistake we sometimes yell out 自己人 which means like, "one of us" in a way to joke your opponent is actually on your team helping you out.

Of course that is all just good nature ribbing with people you know. But in a serious game, like a competition against strangers, it is perfectly acceptable to shout a victory yell when your opponent makes an error. Didn't know that was considered rude in some places. Interesting!

Simeon likes this.
  10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Here in Germany it's frowned upon. Even clapping from spectators when the opponents made an unforced error is considered bad.

Saru likes this.
  11. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I used to be disturbed when my opponent or his teammates are cheering loudly at every single points even my own faults. In a tournament I did back in March I had two specific scenarios.

In qualification, the girlfriend of a player who kept shouting "Allez Lolo c'est bien ça" - Lolo being a short for Laurent - for every single point! Including my mistakes. Sometimes even motivating him between rallies. I lost the first set being totally distracted.

In semi-final I was leading 15 - 8 when my opponent started to throw some "brrrrrraaaa" at every points and sometimes during rallies. I called the judge because it distracted me. Apparently not much could be done and I got even more distracted by breaking the rhythm of my own game when calling that judge and discussing things for a few minutes with him. To make matters worse, after the first set, his whole team cheered up so loud for him. I lost the semi-final in two straight sets after leading the first set quite comfortably. I got also very tired on this match but I believe I got too distracted.

On the spot I was not upset but felt like I lost because of that. After giving it some second thoughts the next day, with a rested mind, I think I was just inexperienced enough to let it go to my mind and I believe one should isolate himself/herself when confronted to this kind of situation. It is so frustrating right, but at the end of the day only ourselves are to blame if we loose.
    I make a point of remaining extremely calm now and just keep on and I think it works because it doesn't disturb me anymore, I guess it's all in the mind :D

Cheung likes this.
  12. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Pardon me, do you mean United States, or all America?
    If latter, then it would be too many countries.

13. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

To those who want to have some reading material on gamesmanship in sports, here is something that I liked, and is about using verbals, as written by the OP; refer case 2-12 herein - http://bit.ly/2WBkEbY
    (the link will expire after 4 weeks)

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it really an “unforced error”?

I was watching a YouTube video a while back of a league game in England. Unfortunately, I can’t find the link again. It was a men’s doubles match, Taiwanese players on one end and English players on the other end. The Taiwanese players were technically better but the English players were very tenacious and fighting for every point.

Midway through the match, the Taiwanese players team started applauding the English players’ errors. The English players took offence at this. From my point of view, the Taiwanese players were drawing out the rallies, moving their opponents around the court to force mistakes/weak shots as a deliberate strategy.

On one hand you can look at it as applauding a mistake and impolite etiquette. On the other hand, forcing errors from your opponent is a strategic part of the game. Why can’t I shout “yes” or my team applaud a successful strategy that has forced a mistake? Even better is when I force the mistake from the opponent and the opponent thinks they made an unforced error. I would definitely give myself a “yes” for that and use that strategy again!

Or how about a scenario we see on TV during a doubles service. The receiver puts their hand up to signal that they’re not ready but the server plays a serve anyway. This happened to my kid when the server was rushing a her a bit. The umpire called a for the serve to be replayed and the server played the serve into the net! From my perspective, I applaud for my kid because she’s now learnt not to let herself get rushed when she’s not ready (and giving away an easy advantage). The opponent could interpret it as me applauding for an unforced error (which it wasn’t) and continue to let themselves get annoyed and lose more focus.

BTW the result of that game between the Taiwanese and English pairs was the English pair winning by a close margin simply by not giving up.

LenaicM likes this.
  15. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I can be quite the emotional player. I can get very vocal, especially when the points get more important. Toward the end of the game, when 1 point can be the difference between winning and losing, I don't care much how I get that point. Whether I won it or they lost it doesn't matter. I will be very happy, and that emotion will be expressed, for better or worse.

It can be dangerous to cheer your opponents mistakes if you don't know if they are the kind of player that will get distracted and frustrated by it, or if they are the kind of player that will now be more determined and focused. If I know they can't take it and will crumble, I will take advantage when I think I need it.

There are quite a few players on my regular day that are improving while my level is stagnant at best. One player in particular is making strides. They are getting to a level where they should be able to beat me. Better technique, faster, better fitness, bigger smash. Some of them are getting more consistent too. I am at a stage where I have to rely on them to make mistakes, which means that if they don't, they will win, and there isn't much I can do about it. One of the few things I have left is a mental edge. I am more confident that I can win than they are. I have beat them many times before. They respect my level. An innocent comment or celebration after some good points from me, or mistakes from them, and they will falter if only for a few points. As long as I keep them insecure about whether they can beat me or not, I can keep them at bay. Of course I lose every now and then, but it should always be hard fought. I cannot let them get confident in our matches.

From some perspectives I'm the guy that's cheering at inappropriate unsportsmanlike moments. From my perspective I'm the better player because I have the mental fortitude to not be shaken or distracted while my opponent, despite all their other strengths, does not.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

i found the YouTube video. My mistake, the players were quite evenly balanced.

The match in question is at 10.26. I think you can hear claps for when the English players made an error and also claps for the Taiwanese players error at 11.00. It goes back and forth for the next minute.

At 12.00, you can see the one of the English players actually say STFU to the supporter. Talk about etiquette. Lol

Here’s an example of a forced error. Player in white smashes and follows in to play a netshot which goes into the net 4.13. Player with dark T shirt gets the point and gets applause. Is that an unforced error or forced error? IMO, the player with the dark T shirt forced an error and deserved the applause.

17. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Badminton players have it easy. In soccer and basketball, you have to keep concentration while being elbowed and trash talked all game long. Plus some racism from the fans.

Cheung likes this.
  18. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

I would just keep on playing the way just I do with others.
    That you reacted because 'spectators' cheered for your errors shows you do not have your emotions under control
    Think Bjorn Borg, or Chris Evert.

Your opponents were successful in getting under your skin. They made you change your behaviour.

Since you are inquiring this within the rules oficiating thread, I must add, the 'spectators' are doing nothing wrong.
    And at best, your opponent can be faulted for distracting you or intimidating you. Nothing more.
    As for a question of how to react, then it is a different sub-forum.

Just think how would you like people to remember you?
    Are you proud of your actions? Being in the face suits you?
    At the end of the evening, it is a game, not life or death.

19. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Today Hoki was shouting and fisting after every point they win. They were winning the match at 18-9, but he kept shouting till the end. I don't do that but I accept that as keeping the spirit for explosive performance.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My kid had a doubles match with a noisy opponent doing exactly the same thing. This opponent also played at a very fast pace from the very first point. My girl got messed up mentally, couldn’t settle her rhythm, lost and got really upset.

Exactly like you said, I explained there are many different types of players and occasionally some are like this. Since this was only a minor tournament, I said to her it was actually a good thing to experience such an opponent so that you know how to handle it in the future. Pointing out playing the tournament was for experience and the negative experiences were positive learning steps for the future had a very calming effect.

dnewguy and LenaicM like this.