Replacement for broken Voltric 80

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by RockoR, Dec 2, 2016.

1. RockoR

RockoR New Member

I've been using my Voltric 80(3UG4) for around four years now, but it's completely broken. After using this racket exclusively, I'm looking for a somewhat similar racket, but I'm hoping some experienced racket users can give me some advice on a more suitable racket. Here's some info about my playstyle and what player I want to become:

-I'm not sure of my skill level, but I'm playing varsity badminton for my school in a few months
    -My defense is a bit lacking
    -I play doubles mainly, and singles occasionally as well
    -I smash a lot, and I'm working on that more than anything else(jump smashing)
    -I have no wrist issues with the Voltric 80, but I'm a bit slow with it
    -I have never used a flexible racket, so I don't know how it'll affect my shots

I've been thinking of getting a 4U Voltric 80, but I feel like there might be other options. So far I've only thought of the Z-Force 2, and the Arcsaber Z-Slash. I have no way of getting to test them, so can anyone provide me some insight on how the rackets will fit? I'm willing to change my playstyle a little, so all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    this is from my own experience, your mileage may vary--

VT 80 3U is not really ideal for doubles. 4U would help, but there are better options out there.
    the same applies to ZF2, but it is head heavier and is stiffer compared to VT 80. i found i couldn't handle the ZF2 3U, and the 4U is a fun challenge.
    I have not tested the e-tune VT 80

if you're not having any issues generating power with the VT 80, you don't need to move onto a more flexible shaft.
    to help your defense/slow issue, ARC 11 and NR 900 (both 3U and both less head heavy than VT 80) are much more maneuverable, with ARC 11 being a tad head heavier than NR 900 while the NR 900 has a tad stiffer shaft (comparable to VT 80). the DUO 10 is supposedly a faster ARC 11. the VT LDF feels like a faster VT 80.

i like the ARC ZS a lot and to me it feels like a super-charged ARC 11, but a lot of users have reported timing/framing/mishit problems with it

as you probably already know the yonex Z series are all of the "isometric slim head" variety, which results in a blend of classic oval and isometric head properties. so that presents another variable.

your best bet would be to demo the racquets of interest, with consistent string+tension between them all.

the forum, and these sites have a lot of good reviews on many different models:
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/category/badminton-equipment/badminton-racket-written-reviews/
    http://everythinggoeshere.blogspot.com/
    http://badmintan.blogspot.com/

RockoR likes this.
  3. RockoR

RockoR New Member

alright, thank you very much for the help! from what I've seen so far on the sites you provided, I'm most likely going to go with the ZF2 4U. Are there any noticeable differences between changing from the VT 80 to the ZF2, or to ARC ZS? Thanks

4. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Can also think of Li Ning n90 first generation. Voltric 80 etune too. I have zf2 4u and 3u. 3u is tough to handle. If i play with 3u, i hold the grip way above.

RockoR likes this.
  5. RockoR

RockoR New Member

Would you say the ZF2 3U is harder to handle than the VT 80 3U?

6. nsmithers31

nsmithers31 Regular Member

Can you explain what you mean by hard to handle?

7. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Tires me down faster than 4u. Also defense is compromised due to extra weight.

8. RockoR

RockoR New Member

Does anyone know a good place to order a racket online in US/Canada? I'm not sure which sites to look for

9. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    USA:
    akbadminton
    asby
    badmintonalley
    badmintonbay
    badmintonwarehouse
    badmintonavenue
    badmintonexpress
    badminton.net

#9 offbad, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    RockoR likes this.
  10. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

The new Lin Dan Force 4U might suit you. It's more flexible than the VT80 and IMO, even though it's a 4U, it has sufficient head heaviness for some really good smashing yet lightweight but solid enough. According to some, the 3U version of it is even less head heavy than the VT80 so it might be good also for your style of play especially when you're playing singles. I own both the VT80 3U and LDF 4U.

RockoR likes this.
  11. badmintony

I have a club mate who owns both and according to him, he finds the VT80 easier to use than the ZF2 3U. But then he has arms strong enough to whip around these beasts even in a doubles play, so this physique factor can also have a bearing on which type of racket would be more suitable for you.

RockoR likes this.
  12. RockoR

RockoR New Member

I'm going to be playing a lot over the next year in order to improve enough to have a shot at winning in my province. Should I stay with a lighter VT80(3U->4U) or try to adapt the ZF2? In terms of mastery of the racket, which one do you think would yield better results over time?

13. badmintony

IMO, if you'll be playing mainly doubles and have had no issues with the 3U VT80, a 4U version of that might even suit you more, but you'll still be the judge of that eventually. I can't speak for the ZF2 as I never owned nor used it. What I do know about the ZF2 though is that it has a stiffer shaft compared to the VT80, so I'm not sure how you'll be able to adapt to this racket and if ever it would yield better results for you over time. There might be some physical issues that you might encounter in trying to "adapt" to it and this might consequently affect your game.

I believe that most doubles player would prefer headlight or even balanced rackets, like some of the nanorays or arcsabers, not to mention other brands like apacs or babolat. All these considerations though on the premise that you continue to improve through training and not just racket changes;)

RockoR likes this.
  14. RockoR

RockoR New Member

Thank you very much!

15. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

If you like the feel of Volt80, you can try out a 4u VLD-F. Specs are almost the same. Where I come from, it's cheaper than VZF2, or other Victor high end rackets.

16. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    ZF2 is probably harder to use but the smashes you get are amazing!
    LDF is an excellent choice too. Easy to use. A natural upgrade from vt80.
    3U LDF or ZF2 might be a tad too slow for defence in doubles .

17. Zen Zi

Zen Zi Regular Member

Stiff
    Zf2 or TK9000
    If you have power in arms

Mid flex
    Ldforce
    If you have less power in arms

18. Fernaldishan

Fernaldishan New Member

It may have been broken due to clashes,crashes,miss hits on frame,high tension Gud. Or if you drop the racket down.