Only long high serve allowed.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Simeon, May 6, 2019.

1. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

One would hate service judges less when realize that they are actually doing what helps both sides. That way both players serve and receive fairly. Without judges everyone would just smash in the face or would do anything else stupid that will one shot finish most points...

2. stradrider

One could also serve legally with good margin, that way you would even start liking service judges as they would bring you points from your opponent's bad serves.

And if someone serves when you are not ready just don't take it and say that you are not ready. Also make sure you get ready in due time and not delaying the serve because it's not fun for the server to wait and wait when the receiver is super slow....

3. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Maybe I did not make my message clear.
    The great majority all over the world try to enjoy badminton on lower lever without any umpires or service judges. The present service rules give room for hostile arguments.
    I love service judges. I just would like to see them doing something else for badminton than staring at racket hights.

#23 Simeon, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
  4. stradrider

Millions of people play badminton without any rules at all and they enjoy it too. But I get it, you don't want people complaining about your service. I assure you, it's actually not that difficult to learn a great serve that will be well within the rule's boundaries - you will have than zero complains from people and will enjoy the game so much more. Look for players who do it well and ask them to show you.

There is a reason we have the rules and they are good at keeping people happy as long as we follow them. You will have so much more fun when you have a good serve, you won't be sorry!

#24 stradrider, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    LenaicM, s_mair and phihag like this.
  5. simplejoys

simplejoys Regular Member

maybe he wants to change some rules to suit his level of play? :eek:

6. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner

7. stradrider

Than where does this comes from:

8. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Even at lower levels of play, a well placed smash from the back line isn't a disadvantage for the smasher provided he is in prime position to smash and follows to base position. The defender doesn't have many great options. Even the most accurate cross court defence can at best force a lift. If the smasher is off-balance or out of position that's another story, but that won't be the case if you know where it's coming and have all the time in the world to get ready as would be the case with a serve. Singles-players from all levels don't play the short serve because they like hostile arguments, they play it because it's more often than not the better shot to play. Like most players I do sometimes resort to a high serve, but only if I'm either not afraid of their smash or if I keep getting a decisive disadvantage in the short service situation(deception really kills me here).

9. stradrider

And if we are talking about some of the best players, like Axelsen or Momota, high serve will be on the floor 80% of the time if they know it's coming, even against top tier player... 99% on the floor for anybody lower than top 10...

#29 stradrider, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  10. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

+1

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

With your proposal, you would need more, not fewer, judging of what is an illegal serve.

You propose to introduce a rule that the shuttle must be 2m above the net, at the net. To be sane, let's say the actual rule is something like 3.5m above the floor, as 2m above the net would not be a straight line. This is not easy to see. Likely, you'd need an additional service judge who is sitting in some kind of elevated chair, and potentially HawkEye or some other electronics solution.
    I see no reason why this height limit would be less contentious than the current one. In fact, because the shuttle is flying quickly, it's probably much harder to see whether the shuttle is at 351cm or 349cm over the ground.

What precisely would you change in the current service rules? Presumably, you still want to ban overhead serves, so you need some kind of rule for that. At this distance, hitting the feathers first is not a problem, so you could remove §9.1.5. §9.1.4 on the other hand probably needs to stay. So you still need a service judge sitting on a chair to check all of that, and hand out shuttles.

Is this really a problem, and for whom? Part of the skill of badminton is to be ready when to receive. Any of the following actions will immediately fix this problem:
    • Be ready before your opponent.
    • When receiving, use the left hand to indicate you're not ready, and only lower that once you are actually ready.
    • Ready yourself before looking upwards.

stradrider and LenaicM like this.
  12. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I'm totally confused about the very existence of this topic and its reasons :Do_O

s_mair and stradrider like this.
  13. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    +1 :)

14. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Could you please tell us how this is a rules-officiating inquiry?

15. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Where is this said rule you are referring to?
    I have read the badminton laws forward and partially backward (I am at law 9 now), and I cannot find any reference to smashing, or the back line. Also, all the lawbooks I have read I have not yet seen anything about you must not do this or that stuff, they all however have what should happen if you do this or that.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think he means the "rule of thumbs" type of rule instead of the actual Laws of Badminton type of rule.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as for the topic. I don't like it.

need for enforcement, and almost impossibility to enforce at the recreational level (imagine ppl arguing over whether it is 2m or 1.95m above the net!), makes this very unpractical and I still don't see the point. if you want to serve high, just serve high.

s_mair and LenaicM like this.
  18. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member