Broken racket or dead strings? (Gosen G-tone 9)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ChocoChipWaffle, May 11, 2019.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I'm trying to see if my racket is broken or I need to cut my strings. I've usually strung rackets with bg 65 or 80, but even when they were at very low tensions of 20ish, they didn't feel this dead.

Strings were done with Gosen g-tone9, 27lbs around 2-3 months ago, I hit relatively hard. I've never had this feeling, where it literally feels like I'm playing with a racket with broken strings. Racket seems to have no damage on the outside, but it is relatively old (6-7 years), and I have no idea how old the strings were when they got strung, but from the sounds of the stringbed, it is still relatively high (23-24lbs?), it just feels like one of those high tension rackets you're still continuing the rally with when the string snaps midway. Is this normal?

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    As higher the tension as faster the elasticity will be gone. I normally string only 2 of my rackets with a difference of 2 weeks. Depending how many hours you play the string can be dead quite fast. 2-3 month is a long time. Even if you only play 2-3 hours per week the peak of many string is over. Sounds can't tell much. I experienced that Gtone9 is nothing special and turned out for me numb quite fast.

3. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

then is it possible for a racket frame to be permanently damaged without visible cracks? Because my racket right now feels like a $20 walmart badminton racket strung with fishing lines.

4. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Re-string with a string and tension you have used before.

5. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Performance can degrade with hairline cracks but not to the extent of $200 becoming a 20$ racket overnight. It is more likely to be the setup like change of grip, strings that will help.