Comparison strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by smidsy1985, May 16, 2019.

1. smidsy1985

smidsy1985 Regular Member

Hi there all,
    I play with nylon shuttles in the Netherlands, but can someone give me a comparison of the next strings in term of feel, control, repulsing, hitting sound, holding tension and durability?

Ashaway Zymax 66
    Li-ning No1
    Victor VBS 66
    Yonex Aerosonic
    Yonex Aerobite

Hope to hear from you!

Greetings,
    Erik.

2. smidsy1985

Does anybody have a review about the above mentioned strings, or are they all more or less similar?

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Since nobody replied, I try to answer. Maybe not in the way you ask for, but honestly. VBS 66 never played, but heard it is thicker than 0.66mm. I exclude it.

Do you ask for the 66 Fire Power? Feelwise it's a very personal thing, I don't want to answer. If the tension keeps same...

IIRC (didn't played any of these strings since a year) hitting sound and repulsion winner: Aerosonic
    durabilty winner should be Zymax 66 Fire Power, tension holding No.1 and control should be Zymax 66 Fire or Aerobite. IIRC

Since you play with nylons, I wouldn't recommend any of these strings (exclude Zymax 66 Fire Power) to a plastic user. Thinner strings are normally less durable and nylons got more punched which puts more stress on the string. If you want a good balance between control, durability, feel (I don't feel anything only my sore arm on plastics) repulsion and hitting sound I would recommend BG80P. If you want a good sound you need to string high. Any string is able to give a great hitting sound if it got strung high enough. With plastics not a good idea. If you are interested in any of these strings the search function will lead you to endless pages of discuss, comparison and reviews of each string.

smidsy1985 likes this.
  4. smidsy1985

Thanks for your reply, you said a better string for nylons are the bg80p... why do you recommend it over the bg80?
    I never use high tension above 21lbs....

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

At 21lbs, it's mostly irrelevant what string you use. The unique characteristics of each string is only noticeable above a certain tension like 26lbs. At such a low tension, I would say BG80, BG80p, or LN1 would be the best to give you a nice feedback. There's no point using thin strings.

6. smidsy1985

So should I try to go higher with the tensions? So just try to go towards the 26 lbs...?

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I disagree @llrr Imo the tensions are not as relevant as the shuttles. Even if somebody use 21 he will discover the differences of e.g. of an aerosonic and a Zymax 66 FP as long as the person use feather. Also the control/coating becomes at lower tensions more important, because slippery strings get a bit more structure if you pull higher. Especially the feel and hitting sound department with plastics is nothing. Regardless which string and regardless which tension.

I recommend it over BG80 for 2 reasons. BG80 is harsh on the feel, with plastics injuries can happen. Also the durability of BG80P is better. The softer feel and higher durability complements better with the impact of plastics. Plastics and Feather are worlds apart. 21lbs is good tension for plastics. For a feather guy I would recommends to a client a performance string (thin, good repulsion, less durability, good feel), for a plastic guy (because he plays plastic because of budget) I would only recommend a budget and easier on the arm string (durable, softer feel).

michael5098, smidsy1985 and Mr Arc2 like this.
  8. smidsy1985

How's the tension hold on the bg80p? Because it will last longer....

9. smidsy1985

Or is there a zymax string that's also quite good, because they are a lot cheaper.....

10. smidsy1985

Or the nbg 98... that's a string with the same gauge, but with a softer feeling if I'm correct....

11. smidsy1985

I still had a li-ning no1 here, so I brought my racket to the stringer and it's done tomorrow at 24lbs... can't wait to test a bit of a higher tension....hope I didn't pushed my own too much here...

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Good things are never/seldom cheap. Why should anybody produce something awesome and sell it at lower price compared to same products? Zymax has some fans, some who never liked the core or experienced these superb tension holding.

Mate, you ask too much about each particular string. Please use the search function and read or try out the string which are interesting for you.

With plastics, higher tensions and thin strings you will discover how fast they break on mishits. I string rackets for various clubs from hobby player to advanced players since years. Trust me I heard a lot of complainments (most from the plastic guys) because they never believed that a thin performance string at higher tensions with plastics is not lasting a few month. Hope you enjoy your No.1 @24.