YONEX ASTROX 88S & 88D (2018)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by T.O.P, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Adi Tariono

Adi Tariono Regular Member

For astrox 88S I prefer 3U because it has little more power, but I recommend you to dry swing few times both 3U and 4U. which one that feel comfort in your hand that's the correct one.

2. nummertwente

nummertwente Regular Member

I have both and can report a similar experience - although I was expecting the 4U 88D to have slightly more head weight than it does. I can squeeze a little more power out of the 3U 88S if I'm afforded the time to really load up my smash, but overall I find that the 4U 88D is really user friendly for doubles and quick attacking play.

Carbonex_7 and visor like this.
  3. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    -deleted-

Attached Files:

#2543 Vivek Bagadhi, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

I have both the 4U and 3U versions of the 88S and I would recommend going for the 4U if you are more of a beginner.
    For me personally I started with the 4U as I was used to using head light and medium flex rackets so didn't want such a drastic change. I jumped into getting the 3U because I did feel my back court play was lacking a bit in power. The 3U is noticeably better at the back court, but also I find that it is much more energy sapping for longer nights 2hours+ play. More recently I've retried my 4U and as a result of training with the 3U I find I am much faster and my smashes don't suffer too much due to me being able to swing it faster than a 3U.

So I would advocate going for the 4U if you're not used to heavier rackets :)

5. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Currently using the n9ii, my hands got a little itchy and decided to get myself a 88D 4U, getting it strung up soon and will be trying out this coming weekend !

6. Erin

Erin New Member

Im selling my 88D, $120 obo Let me know if anyone is interested.
    Reason for sale: Its too heavy for me although its 4u

7. roderickh

roderickh Regular Member

Where are you based?

8. Swat

Swat Regular Member

I finally got the chance to try out the 88D (4u). I had expected a pretty stiff racket, but it didn't feel rigid at all, just nice and friendly. Stiffer than ax77, but not by very much. Weight, head weight and balance together made it easy feeling but still powerful, sharp and accurate.
    Simply nothing about it that I would want to change. This might be the first 4u racket that I have tried that would work great for me in both singles and doubles.
    However, I'm thinking that I am missing something. If a regular club player like me can use it with good results, then it should be way too flexi for pro players? (makes me think they're using a stiffer version...)

9. boby

boby Regular Member

I've both these vampires ax88 brothers racket with 3U5 27lbs b66u, and many month trying to tame these beast. *(real man only use 3U :))

my opinion of ax88s it feels like holding a machete/golok, this racket need a serious player who's doing daily forearm dumble >10kg and shadow footworks to handle it, not a weekly recreational player like me or you. admit it!!!

the siblings ax88d is better for energy-efficient, with 3U5 size it's fast enough for a double game. I'd love ax88d only when I'm in good shapes, but when my waist getting bigger, i choose back my Vtzf2 4U5.

i don't know this is because of physical condition, 3U weight, balance of racket, stiffness, string and tension, factory qc, grip size, material/technology, shuttlecock, others factor, or all connected.

when trying a new racket for some months we'll know it's suited to you or not. almost impossible to give an accurate racket rating if only one two game played or even just a dry swing at the shop.

i always dig down reviews from this forum as references, before make a decision and enjoy the journey with the new racket.

#2549 boby, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    pughon and kakashihatake like this.
  10. SmashAddict

SmashAddict New Member

Coming from n9-ii, I ordered a 4u 88d. Did I make the right choice, I wanted to try out a stiffer shaft for better control and also wanted something quick on defense without sacrificing a lot of power. I am a back court player but wanted to improve my front gameplay especially intercepting shots. input would be much appreciated.

11. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    I think you should have gone for the 3U instead. How was your defense with the N9II? Did you want better control or better defense than the N9II?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

12. SmashAddict

SmashAddict New Member

My defense on my N9-ii is quite alright. I wanted better control and defense than my N9-ii. I think defense is one of my weakest links.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  13. Vivek Bagadhi

Doctor
    You might be losing power though. Also I do feel N9II is better in terms of defense than my 4u AX88D

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

14. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Right choice. N9ii is a very light 3U racquet so you'll find 4U 88D to be a good step

15. yoman

yoman Regular Member

anyone owns 88d in both 4u and 3u ? how big is the difference? been through vt804u, dzs3u, 88s3u, 88d4u, , ax994u. So far 88d is my go to. However wondering if a 3u would be any much slower to trade off the extra punch.

16. boby

boby Regular Member

I use ax88d 3u5, consider 4u5.

IMO 4u5 racket size suited best for weekly recreational badminton player who's didn't do much physicals offcourt badminton excercise or regularly active in a badminton club.

17. Dominic1988

Dominic1988 New Member

Hi all
    I need all of ur help. I'm currently using JS10 (new color) 3U and seeking for replacement. I mostly play single and I've used ZF2 (white color) 4U and Arc 10 (Original color) 3U before. I'm thinking 88D but dont know should I go for 3U or 4U.
    Thz

#2557 Dominic1988, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

You didn't say what you want in a replacement. If you like your JS10 why not get more?

19. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    4U. Don't expect heavy smashes like ZF2 though. Probably a good in between racquet between the watermelon js10 and ZF2

boby likes this.
  20. phantan123

phantan123 Regular Member

After contemplating for a month, im now a proud owner of a 4u 88d :).

Attached Files: