Dealing with unrecognised net faults: Am I allowed to tape a camera on one of the poles?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by VeritasC&E, Apr 15, 2019.

1. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

Depending on the physical profiles of my opponent, what I sometimes do is that I start the match with the idea of "tiring them down a little" for the first set, by hitting the shuttle either all the way in the back or 1-10 cm pass the net on the diagonal opposite. It's very efficient at making the opponent run a lot, and after a few times some arrive a few cm late at the net and fail to hit it back. This of course only works if the rules are followed: Otherwise the opponent just hits it down above the net the first time to kill directly instead of subsequently running back and fourth.

Anyone can test this themselves to see how easy life at the net is if you're allowed to hit above the net / on the opponent's side of the net. The point just ends very early in situations in which the safest options normally are to hit it up towards the backline, do a tight net shot / crosses, which most often result in a few more hits at the very least.

Of course one can adapt and play mainly clears and smashes instead, but that takes away an entire dimension of the game.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have always the rules on my smartphone/tablet as pdf. I can share the experience that even people who are referee and are at Bundesliga (highest division) games or even BWF events don't know the rules 100%.

I think here is a misunderstanding between us!? Normally these above the net kills are mostly possible, when you don't look and play infront of the opponent, play loose and not tight net and drop shots or are under pressure and can't return with speed, accuracy and placement under pressure. IMO all three things are possible to train and worth to train and would help a) to become better and won't give the opponent too often this chance to hit it down and b) would help to get a slightly advantage buffer if somebody cheats sucessful and save yourself energy. I don't get what's ridiculous here. I don't know the level of the OP, but I rarely experience these reaching above the net. wrong line calls, blocked kills and wrong score and touched before out are the faults I experience much more.

3. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    For singles you make it for him easy. You play 3 spots, which makes his court smaller. You could do it more effective. Especially cross drops travel longer and if you play the pattern "Clear forehand corner" and then the "cross drop backhand net" he can run in one direction through the center. If you face somebody with good footwork, which is always efficient and energy saving your tactic thoughts should be adjusted. I'm not a singles player and others can give better tips, but I learned to play a Y-pattern on court to make the opponent always stop in center and change direction most of the time.

I never play on the luck of mistakes which doesn't mean that I don't exploit weakness. No prisoners. Create advantage and finish him-if I get in pressure take time to react and start again. But if you always give the opponent the chance to run through the center without change of direction I don't wonder why he can take it high at the net.

I still think that lacking accuracy, no deception and playing like an open book can boost this. If I have the chance to take it on opponents side I must be there and very close to the net giving a huge area of the court away. On net play duells in singles I can imagine that hitting on opponents side can be very easy. But in a normally rally your opponent must see early what you do, run through center and read you well to do this.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Sometimes it‘s just not possible to prevent your opponent from doing this. For example on the third shot after your opponent plays a very good shot as a return of serve and moves foreward.

5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You are right, but since OP also experience this is mixed doubles and even singles I never thought about the 3rd shot moment in higher level doubles. From my point of you, if it's avoidable I would never play a slow shot to the net as a 3rd shot and with all importance of this 3rd shot which decide the winner of the rally. I prefer to drive it and even lifting it. I know it's not always possible but I train this first 3 shot scenario very often and I suggest it, because it is the only controlable way to prevent active such things and the aim of each player should be that I make it most difficult for my opponent, even if they try to cheat. A few posts back I asked for the specific situation. I still have the thoughts that it has a technical and tactical aspect which can be improved beside the fault instead of opponents can beam to the net and cheat, I have no chance and every of my shots was perfect.

According to this video I don't have a single moment were any can hit it on the other side at this pace and accuracy. Both things are possible to practice and you have an influence on the dilemma and a part which you can control, which don't mean you need to take everything cheating like a shy guy. E.g. if my opponent always say my shots on the side are out, I complain, but still aim maybe 3-5 cm towards the inner court to avoid such borderline discussing situations, because I always know that this will heat me up to a level where I can concentrate.

Maybe OP will upload the videos to have a clear impression what's happening?

Rob3rt and VeritasC&E like this.
  6. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Most competitions in Sweden doesn't have umpires (unless it´s SGP or SM U1X) and the person keeping score is JUST keeping score. I get that it is annoying to feel cheated out of points, but I'd rather replay the point than end the match on a bad note (maybe just me not wanting confrontation :oops:).

I doubt you are losing games solely because of these incidents and I would as previous posters have told to do faster and deeper returns at the net or just focus on the other shortcomings of your game!

LenaicM likes this.
  7. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Before the responses get too much into coaching and not much into rules and officiating (the sub-forum) -
    Brief response will No.
    However, read on...

After realising that the situations were described to illustrate what was a simple inquiry about recording the match situation/s for arbitration, there were like nine hundred questions. It all appeared to have all the makings of a dramatic courtroom scene, with accusations and counter-accusations, after which summary judgements are handed out, however it was more ranting and venting for a while, and yes I read all the 1200+ words.

Permit me this two requests: (1) when you mention competition, is this is an organised event?, and (2) do you have the recordings (films of all subsequent games)?

If (1) is yes, then they will have the applicable rules all written down. If (2) is yes, then post relevant clips here. The BC forum probably has many contributors who could help out (Right BCers?).

It will help to understand the scenes. I reckon that you were so upset at the perceived injustices of it all that you just put everything. However, an umpire will be overwhelmed by all the information to reach decision - there are just too many things. Moreover, an umpire will not be able to make the decision on the original question you ask in the title of the thread; it will be referee, or the organiser of the competition.

You could have asked - could I record the plays at or near the net? Then the answer is, of course.

8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Hard to judge. I might lost games due such things. Wrong score, wrong line calls, illegal service, rushing before serve is executed, touching the shuttle before it went out. Humans can be very shitty and unfair even when it is a fun/private tournament. I also recorded same persons in training who added in every of my games 1-2 points on their score. The cheater get always the advantage if he get away with it and loose nothing if confronted, sadly. I remember pretty well one of my mixed tournaments in the semi that we couldn't play 3 rallies without debating about something and after the tournament the male told me in a strange way with a smile "Our tactic to make you angry worked." IMO these are mindgames which work very well and make you loose any confidence and get from a relax and concentrated game to an angry and pissed mood. And as @Rob3rt said, I don't play these tournaments as well which gives me weak opponents to be Buddha himself. Most of my games are tight and close. I always play my level or one division above. I can't give any buffer for possible cheaters. If you have one pair in a group and don't get further okay, but in the KO rounds this can break your neck.

#28 ucantseeme, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    VeritasC&E likes this.
  9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Because of this thread I happened to pay attention to racket movements above the net during the Sudirman cup event. Most of the time a player kill the shuttle during a net play his/her racket passes over the opponent’s court. You don’t always see it live but it is clear during the replay. While the player loosing the point gesticulate towards the umpire, the point is usually given to the player who killed the shuttle regardless if his/her racket passed over the net or not since the judge can’t possibly see it at real speed.

I guess we can’t really do much about those kind of faults as even at the highest level with cameras and slow motion available, there are no reviews allowed or whatsoever and well it’s something we all have to deal with and we might even do without noticing (or believing) when killing the shuttle at the net ourselves.

VeritasC&E likes this.
  10. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

11. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Don't get me wrong, I hate cheaters, but the only way for you to deal with the issue is to work on yourself. The bigger picture is not you losing 1 or 2 points to unfair play, but maybe losing 10-15 points of you getting affected and angry. My mindset differs whether I´m playing to improve or playing to win. There is nothing wrong in playing to win, but if you after the game blame outside factors instead of working on yourself you will not progress in your abilities.

IF the win really matters (professional level or transitioning to professional) you will not have to worry about potential cheaters as all tournaments will have judges, but the shitty behavior of players will still prevail but it's up to you to handle it.

Cheung, phihag and VeritasC&E like this.
  12. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

Your racket can cross over the net following up on a strike (see rule 13.4.2). So in the example you describe I suspect the player is telling the empire that their opponent hit the shuttle before it crosses over the net (which would be a fault).

VeritasC&E likes this.
  13. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

Hitting before the racket crosses over the net and crossing over when there is no more shuttle/racket contact is ok (as long as you don't touch the net afterwards of course).

Hitting while crossing with the tip of the racket when the shuttle contact point is on your side of the net is ok as well I think (confirmation from more advanced members is welcome).

But hitting the shuttle with the contact point between shuttle and racket either above the net or on the opponent's side (i.e. as you say "before the shuttle has crossed the net") is a fault.

14. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I should train until my games don't get tight anymore and cheating becomes less effective?

I work on myself and my abilities, but I don't join a Spreewälder Gurkencup to trash hobbyplayers so cheating becomes not effective. Since when I blame outside factors like light, hall etc? The problem is following: I train hard, my partner train hard, I take badminton serious, I have much love for this sport. Badminton is my passion and I'm a fair sportman. Everybody who want to compete should do this because of a fair competition.

So let's talk about cheating. When does it become effective? At 2-3. 5-7. when somebody leads 17-6? Cheating become effective when games get tight. And as you said, if improving is a goal, you will attend at tournaments where you know you will have tight games. Which is okay, winning or losing don't matter much unless it is a fair competition. So if I train hard, have a special diet, my family comes short on weekend, I travel to a tournament to have fun and proof my improvements and all this becomes worthless, because some people just go for dirty results, where are the fruits of all my efforts? To make it clear: I never have opponents who loose 21-13. 21-15 against me. The games are always tight and tight games makes cheating effective. Even it 1-2 or 3 points. When I serve and need to discuss that it is 20-17 or 20-19 this is an inside factor which ruins everything. Why should I tolerate each ******* and take it with peace? Would this will only tell the opponent we get away with anything and they will never think about it?

Why shouldn't my games matter to me? As stated above I invest much for myself and work hard. Why shouldn't I earn fruits from my effort and give me a boost? It's really depressing to do everything you can and loose because just somebody want to win dirty and as stated above. I don't have a problem to loose, as long as it was under a fair circumstance. Luckily I didn't had any cheater since 2 years on court at tournaments.

VeritasC&E likes this.
  15. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Firstly, thank you for bringing the thread back on track.
    Secondly, when you mention "most of the time a player ..." was this during one match? Or during several (or many) other matches? Was this during singles? Mens?

Any umpire at this level should be able to make decision in real time about the fault and award the rally win to the non-offending player.

As per the current laws, that is correct - a player does not have recourse to the umpire's decision.

The replay and slow motion are however valueable devices for learning to make decisions correctly. It helps if the umpire has the dominant eye on the net, as most people loose their binocular vision with age, that is, it is not 20-20.

Additionally, training using real-time footage helps; however, how many umpires use such methods, or review such footage, is not known. Moreover, there must be some consistency in ruling on such plays at the net. I doubt if an umpire from Europe will call the same as one from Asia.

Technology could be very helpful to arrive at the correct decision in cases of bang-bang plays at the net, so let us hope that this happens someday soon.

phihag likes this.