Cushion wrap on original grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by frostcone, May 23, 2019.

1. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

I want to make my grip a little thicker but don't want overgrip. Can I use some cushion wrap over the original grip? I didn't want to remove the original grip since it will lose its stickiness.

2. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    No. The cushion wrap is to thin and soft and gets ripped very easily. I think it won't even last one game.
    Why don't you want to use an overgrip?
    If the original grip is uncomfortable for you it is no shame to replace it.

3. frostcone

frostcone Regular Member

I prefer the feel of the original grip and an overgrip would change the balance. How about double sided tape with the original grip reapplied? So cushion wrap -> original grip with double sided tape? The grip is still like new.

4. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Well technically everything that you put on The handle to make it thicker will change the balance.
    But I think one overgrip doesn't make a noticable difference.
    Since the original grip will be used up and needs replacement in the future you can just as well start now searching for a new grip that you like.
    If you really want to recycle the original grip you can try the following:
    1 carefully remove original grip
    2 use cushion wrap to get thicker grip
    3 cover the cushion wrap with one layer of electric tape (you can skip this if you don't mind replacing the cushion wrap each time you change the grip)
    4 put on old grip
    5 fix the end with electric tape or a small drop off glue (the grip will probably still be sticky enough and it won't come loose if the end is tight)

Depending on the brand the original grip may not come off the handle without damage so there is some sort of risk.