How much does the string/tension/stringing affect how well the racket play?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, May 12, 2019.

?

How much does the string/tension/stringing affect how well the racket play?

1. 10% - I use fishing lines at 10lbs tension

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 20%

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. 30%

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. 40%

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. 50% - equally important

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  6. 60%

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. 70%

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  8. 80%

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. 90%

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. 100% - The string is everythiing - i use the best string on steel rackets

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    It's probably easier to change a racket than a string. It takes a fair bit of transition.

Say if a recreational player have 6 different rackets, with different kinds of strings and tensions... That would be such a disaster with contrasting variables.

My recent trials with aerobite boost was badddd. It is now only just one session from being cut and buried.

The individual's preferred strings are like their favourite undies brands. :-D

2. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student
    Having used a training racket with stock strings, then restringing using my preferred string and tension has transformed it into something usable and enjoyable. From that perspective, the strings matter to me much more than the actual racket itself.

3. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It'll have to be the stringjob for me. A crisp stringjob by my preferred YY stringer or someone equally capable is of a lot more importance than the racket itself. In other words, it's an unpleasant experience to play with an unusual / unfamiliar stringbed. For example, 31lbs w/ bg66 / 80 on a cheap li-ning / yonex dg range racket is more than satisfactory if DZS / ZF2 etc. isn't an option that day. I will thoroughly enjoy playing with it and never dream of trading that setup with DZS / ZF2 at 24lbs with bg65.

A well done stringjob can transform a racket from a p.o.s to something straight out of a dream. Just changing a racket from a low end to a high end (if other variables like stringing, weight, etc. are same) to me is simply never in the same league.

SnowWhite and kwun like this.
  4. boby

boby Regular Member

i can feel the difference string for the feeling repulsion and hitting sound between bg80, bg66, bg66um, bg66f.

the tension is depends on the player level/style, the stringjob depends on stringer and string machine qualities.

IMO for medium to high end racket should have the right string, higher tension, good stringers and machine. to maximize the racket potentials.

intermediate and advance player should have an efforts to understand and apply this by the experiences of trial and errors.

almost same principles with musical instruments (guitar).

#24 boby, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  5. hm_andhika

hm_andhika Regular Member

Consultant and Technology Enthusiast
    It is equally important for me but it doesnt affect my game significantly, so I say 50%.

In 90s, I have to admit, I dont really care about the strings, basically any strings would be fine, as long as the tension in between 22-23lbs.
    Only after 2000s, I select BG65 or BG80 (use them for many years) and now I prefer BG66F.

However, my first preference is the handle size and grip type. next would be, racket weight/balance point and last would be a good string job with a preferred string.

6. ccmak

ccmak Regular Member

I chose 40%. Whilst string + tension would affect shot control and power to a certain extent, for me, I still think that the feel of a racket is more important. For me, it was much easier to find my preferred string and tension, much harder to find a racket that would connect with me. Certain rackets, no matter what string at which tension does not feel good to me - I am quite specific in that I want that crisp feeling when hitting the shuttle. If the racket does not feel good, it will bother me. I think this is psychological.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I lend my Duora10 w/ ZM62@28lbs to my wife. I think she liked the combo. but she kept asking me what racket it was instead of what string/tension it is.

the same racket with BG80 or BG66UM @ 24lbs don't feel so good.

boby likes this.
  8. boby

boby Regular Member

Probably many women will have same opinion if we lend them a civic type r with different rim size and tire specs. ;)

9. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I'm of the opinion that there is a strong correlation between racket make (weight, BP, technology/materials used and string make(technology/materials), tension and perhaps stringing techniques that produce different results. So, an aerobite for example, might be amazing when strung at 26/25, 4 knots on an AX88S but wouldn't be so when done in exactly the same manner on a Duora 10.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

kwun likes this.
  10. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I voted 80% because i prefer lousy rackets w/ good stringings than good rackets w/ so-so strings. I can adjust my swings but i can't adjust my tension (stringbed) on the court. Wkwkwk...

11. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Hi Junye...I Guess I'm a walking disaster then! My rackets are all different: brand, model, weight, material as well as string tension. I haven't played competition in over 30 years and am only playing recreationally, about twice weekly. Each racket thus play quite differently and 'feel' quite differently in my hands, but I do enjoy trying to derive the best performance from each in every game I play! I would prefer to focus on having as much fun and enjoyment from the game and worry less about the equipment and the technical stuff. To each his/her own I reckon...
    p.s. No slight or insult intended, just offering a different perspective on things...

12. Junye

Junye Regular Member

Evening Badminton Player.
    No no. Everyone is different.
    For the recreational leisure player what is most important is you enjoy your game. If you are enjoying your game, nothing else matters!

Wear your nice gear, select a racket you deem fit for each game. Your happiness is most important.

Cheers!

ubootsg and boby like this.