Badminton Specific Exercises and Workouts

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by speCulatius, Apr 12, 2019.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Watched a few minutes of your game. It seems your shot choices have problems. When you're out of position, while your opponent is centralized (due to your previous shot), you play a cross-court drop. This presents a footwork/speed challenge immediately. And you smash when you're behind first doubles line. A simple block to front court immediately causes you problem. Also, repeated play of X-court nets may not be the best.

buibui2 and LenaicM like this.
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Thanks for taking the time to give these valuable advices. I was trying too hard to attack at some point as I was mainly recording and using that opportunity to record my progresses on the attacking side so I definitely smashed when unnecessary sometimes in that video, I usually play a bit safer than that with longer rallies but yes even when I focus better on my game and shot choices I still don’t manage to choose the right shots most of the time I agree with you. Something else I have to work harder on :eek::)

3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Let's get back to topic...

Since the footwork interval training video seems to be rather popular, I took the effort to pay attention to some more detail resulting in two videos (both with the almighty Don, thanks a lot), one with more complex exercises made for intervals of 30 seconds (exercise time==rest time). You can add this to a throughout warmup, especially when you're not used to the motions or add it at the end of your training session to work on your stamina.

... and one workout with rather simple exercises that should be done at full speed for an interval of 7 to 10 seconds (exercise time<=rest time) and a break of fixed 10 seconds. This workout only takes around five minutes and should be done at the beginning of your training session (but after warming up properly, of course) to train speed endurance...

As always, In happy about every hit of the like button, every subscription, and every comment, especially on YouTube.

Borkya, ucantseeme and s_mair like this.
  4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I really love these videos. No 10 minutes monologs of a narcistic guy, just the exercise and good music. I got really angry when I find a 20 minutes video of a special mobility, stretch or whatever and you see 19 minutes a guy who reports about his day and so on and you can't even skip to the exercise because it's sneaky hidden inside. Keep on going. I love this "kurz und knackig".:)

buibui2, SimonCarter, Cheung and 3 others like this.
  5. speCulatius

Thanks a lot for that! It's so much more motivation when I know there's people who appreciate it.

There will be a video with me talking next week, because I don't see a better way to talk about some basics for foam rolling. So I promise, next week will be about foam rolling.

Until then, I just uploaded two videos, one very short one that I should have done before doing the first Plyometrics video:

and another plyometric workout

Has anyone ever watched until (s)he read the quote of the day?

Cheung, ucantseeme and s_mair like this.
  6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Great video again. I'm keen to see the foam rolling. If I can make a wish: an arm, shoulder, wrist mobility, stretch, strengthing whatever would be great. ;)

carltonpowerblade likes this.
  7. speCulatius

That's in my head only so far... footage for some theory and the legs is (hopefully) complete (some pictures to put in still missing, but that's not a big deal). I'll start editing tonight... after checking with a physio more than once before actually starting to film. The only thing she complained about was the shape of my drawn patella, so I just erased that. :D

Arms are connected to shoulder, that's connected to the back, the chest,.... I'm not sure how I'll handle that, but there'll be something. I'm just worried about the back, because I don't want anyone to start rolling their spine. If with shoulder you mean deltoid muscle, that's quite easy: just lean against a wall and roll it, a smaller roll will yield more pressure, rotate your body slightly to roll the entire muscle.

Strengthening as injury prevention (core, shoulder, ....) is another topic that I didn't dare to think about in more detail yet, but it's on my list (literally written down)...

There's more ideas, but at the moment I cannot promise anything, because it really is a lot of work.... and I stopped trying to be perfect long before I released the first video. ):

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I've followed your videos over the past weeks during my home workouts and I really, really like them. Favorites are the plyometrics and the stamina intervall clips, but the box jump video is still waiting to be tested. ;)

Previously, I've basically made my own workout program "on the fly" which was working well too. Good thing about following a given programm is that there is that little bit of extra motivation when you're basically dead meat already and the guy in the clip still keeps on going for another excersise. So this definitely helped a lot to push myself that one step further compared to when I'm basically following a self-defined program.

One word of caution though - be extra careful when it comes to doing the one-legged excersises. If you're not yet used to doing those, it's very easy to overdo it and cause some overstress in the ankle/calf region. At least that's what's happened to me the day after I got through the one-legged-square-jump excersises. So if you're starting with the routines, I would go easy with all the one-legged stuff and increase them once you've built up the basics.

#28 s_mair, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  9. speCulatius

For all my videos: When something hurts, don't do it. It might be you're doing something wrong of your body needs some preparation for these exercises.
    For the one legged plyometric jumps, you can start with jumping from one leg and landing on both, for example, for the stamina video that @s_mair talked about, you can either start doing it with both legs or do only haft the exercises one legged, switching directions after halft of the interval.
    Foam Rolling should not hurt either. You will feel the pressure, but no harsh, sharp pain! When rolling the front of your calves, it might be close to pain at the beginning, because that muscle often is overused, but you can adjust the pressure. Make sure to not roll on ligaments, bands, bones, and especially not the spine, and always listen to your body.

Sorry for the delay, but last night, I finally uploaded a Foam Rolling video for the legs that can be used as part of a warm up or as a cool down, with only slight differences (mentioned in the video). Therefore, all exercises are stable and the pressure can be controlled. It's only the legs so far and it's already five minutes, so like mentioned before, the shoulders are planned, but not as easy as I though.... I do not show rolling the outside of the calves, but mention how it can be done. For me that just doesn't have any effect, so I guess I forgot about it when recording... my personal routine. :D I sometimes use a smaller ball and less pressure to work on that area, that seems to work better for me.

Yeah... and that changed now. The above video stands on its own, I really tried to make it that way, but that way it already ended up around 5 minutes and if someone is interested in why I do certain things a certain way, the other video I made is a start. It doesn't cover everything, but again I tried to keep it short and just give some examples. After it was done, I didn't want to upload it, so I won't link it here, but you'll find it on my channel if you want to! Sorry for the audio quality.

Again, I appreciate questions and discussions here, but especially for these videos, it might be of more value to have the discussion as comments on YouTube.

SimonCarter and ucantseeme like this.
  10. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Really? Not the spine? You mean vertically along your spine or horizontally up and down your back. And why not? I've never heard this before so I'm curious!

speCulatius likes this.
  11. speCulatius

You want to roll muscles. Foam rolling is all about muscles/fascia inside and surrounding muscles, the spine is not a muscle. You can roll the muscles next to your spine and in your back, that's fine. Rolling on the spine itself is useless at best. I honestly don't know what's the worst that could happen when putting your entire weight (especially if someone is overweight) on one small spot of the spine.
    Many exercises will say that it's rolling the spine, but often there is some details shown, which will help to roll on the muscles instead. A good indicator is (as always) pain. When there's pain, there will be a reason for it. We're not completely fragile bodies, but whenever you do foam rolling, remember that it's about muscles. I don't want to scare anyone, but I don't want my videos to cause pain, so I'll try to point out the details that are important, like the "IT-Band exercise [sic!]". Rolling on the iliotibial tract will most likely not cause any damage, but not change anything either, rolling the muscles surrounding it, including the gluteal muscles, is what you want to do instead, just turning your leg slightly is a detail many will miss, so I tried to point that out.

endFX likes this.
  12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I have a question for the rolling of the front of the calves. Would you say I shouldn't roll over the patella tendon? I normally roll additional over the patella tendon beside the sides of the front calv. It's a bit tough, but I discovered that it helps me. Is it wrong to do this, or do you don't include it because it is a warmup/cooldown routine and not recovery for issues?

I also roll in a different way for cool down/recovery. For warm up I would roll up and down the area in one movement like you do. For recovery I roll isolated on small areas in short movements to find trigger points and pay attention on them. Is this wrong or just a different way? The towards/ away from the heart is very helpful, I never thought about that. Thanks!

speCulatius likes this.
  13. speCulatius

First of all, a cool down is to assist recovery, so that's not a big difference. The patella tendon is quite strong, so I don't think it will do a whole lot, but stretching slightly. How do you feel that it helps you? I've had issues with my patella tendon before, and I felt that it just felt nice to apply some pressure on it. I don't need that anymore after starting to do the lunge stability exercises regularly and some of those before each match at tournaments, that's why I ask in what way you feel that it helps you. I don't think it will harm you, but I would always recommend to not roll on joints, tendons, ....
    If you have issues with your patella tendon, strengthening the stability of your knee can help, improving footwork can help, ... applying pressure on a tendon will most likely just stretch the attached muscles slightly.
    You don't see it, but I'm only applying pressure when rolling towards the heart in that video (I just tried to keep the speed the same, because it can be done the other way around as a warm up). This is to assist recovery by getting the used intercellular liquids (not only blood) out of the muscle. What you do can be done to trigger muscles to relax, but it's not to assist recovery directly. You need more pressure at the correct (most tense) accurate point (-> massage ball might help instead of a roll) and you keep at the same spot (maybe with very very slight movements) for 45 to 90 seconds. I would only see that as an addition to the rolling like I say in the videos. I shortly mention it in the narcissistic monologue video. It's not wrong, but it serves a different purpose.
    My suggestion would be to roll the entire muscle towards the heart after exercise and then add your way if you feel like (some of) your muscles are still tense. If you have the time, I could just wait a few hours or until the next day to see if they still are tense, then roll away from your heart, then trigger the muscles. Just an idea.
    Other than that, I think (I don't have any prove of that, it's just an opinion/believe) that the brain is much underestimated for recovery. It's not only your body that want's to recover, but also your brain and I really don't know if there is any research on a relation between both. So a routine to signal your mind that exercise is over is helpful. The blood flow for recovery will be active anyway, so if you want to stick to your method, because your mind is conditioned to it, that's fine. I didn't find any research on how big of an effect that yields, but it's more anecdotal evidence and experience of physios. What I say in the videos is checked (over a looong lunch) with a very good friend who is a physio and actually learned it twice, in China and in Germany and this is what they learn and even if there is no evidence, it makes sense to me that you don't want to work against the flow that you want to increase. There's other things where I disagree with her and what is taught, because there's research indicating something very different (I'm trying to avoid saying that what is taught is proven wrong).

Thanks for this discussion! I hope it helps!

ucantseeme likes this.
  14. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    I'm using foam rolls after sport to relax the muscles, mostly calfs. Your videos are really helpful for that and showed me more areas to roll on that I didn't know before.
    The lunge warm up videos are great too. Appreciate it and waiting for more.;)

speCulatius likes this.
  15. speCulatius

After a long break, finally a new video...

Famous drill. Old drill. New Video and a suggestion to use it as interval training.

Hope I'll get back to one video a week again from August.

16. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Nice video, thank you!

speCulatius likes this.
  17. speCulatius

100 Subscribers! Wow! I didn't think I'd get there, but thanks to all of you, for subscribing, watching, giving feedback and everything else. I guess that means it's time for some fun...

... and thanks @s_mair for 'letting' me borrow the design. For all who don't know what I mean, have a look at his more recent videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx5j4vxLd0P7ZfwdvVuBnvQ

Don't worry, there's more exercises coming up.

Ballschubser, endFX and s_mair like this.
  18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I think we both know who created that splatter effect in the beginning.
    So yeah, I'm fine with you "borrowing" it back.

Apart from that, big congrats for the 100 subscribers. Doesn't surprise me that much tbh since your clips are really valuable resources to inspire your own training plan. And speaking of it - I'll hold you personally responsible if my performance will suck at beginning of the upcoming season. I'm currently putting together my season preparation workouts pretty much exclusively using the stuff you show in your clips.

You know how it is - with great power comes great responsibility.

Ballschubser, Cheung and speCulatius like this.
  19. speCulatius

I'm waiting for you sharing your preseason playlist. ;)

Speaking of
    I recently came back from a four weeks training camp. Is anyone interested in the plan I had for them? Not sure how to put that in a video though.

s_mair likes this.
  20. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

Hello
    It was a full time training camp? If that is the case you should be in incredible form ahah

That could be interesting but would require a lot of work to apply to myself as I would need to pick up what is required for me I can train full time (still had no vacation time this summer :'( )

Keep up the good work I use some of your exercise to keep myself in shape. Mainly jumps and high velocity stuff

speCulatius likes this.