Can't get used to Astrox 77 (3U)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by chanchan93, Jun 2, 2019.

1. chanchan93

chanchan93 New Member

Hi there, I have been using the Voltric Z force 2 (3U G5) and I find it good to play with despite being head heavy and stiff. I play both doubles and singles. I was gonna get either an Arcsaber 11 or a Victor Brave Sword 12 last year as I wanted something lighter to play in doubles. A friend of mine told me to look into Astrox 77, as it was the newest series at the time. I waited for abit and decided to get it this year. So my Astrox 77 is also a 3U G5 version. And for some reason I couldn't get used to it at all. Flat drives were good for me as it seems more responsive compared to the VZF2. However, when it comes to smashes and clears during the game, I feel my shots weren't as powerful and my timing were off. At times, I feel that my Astrox 77 is heavier than my VZF2. I thought it was probably due to the length differences of the shaft as Astrox 77 have a longer shaft compared to the VZF2...would that be the case or I simply just haven't got used to it? I find it ironic that a lot of reviewers says Astrox 77 is a 'user friendly' racket, and most players find it easy to get used to, where I actually struggle to play with it. Any suggestion guys?

2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Well you must've heard by this time about the newer astroxes 88S, 88D and 99, all available in 3U and 4U weights. From what i gathered, 4U 99 seems to be a new favored choice for doubles play, although much good feedbacks are also in for the 88S and 88D 3Us. I personally enjoy the 88 S&D 3Us, mizuno jpx tld ES and Apacs AVP. Altho among these, frankly, i can't tell which one might suit you best having been with the VTZF2 for sometime and given your preference for smash and clear centric racket.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

#2 badmintony, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    chanchan93 likes this.
  3. chanchan93

chanchan93 New Member

Thank you for your reply! Yes I regretted not getting the 88 S or D ones. Perhaps I could look into a 4 U version to see the difference. I am actually interested in Mizuno rackets as well. Is the Mizuno JPX limited edition suitable for doubles? Thanks!

4. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    How long have u been playing with the Astrox 77? When I started using it it felt weird. I was told is generator system at work flexing at some specific places and the weight balance. To me is just some gimmick.

But after abt 12 games...I begin to adapt to it.....later I cant go back to my unusual racket and it has become my main racket.

Mine is 27Lbs. Maybe the strings type and tension is not suitable for ur play style? I ever had issue b4....bit the bullet cut the relatively new strings and re do. Mine is a 4U. But since u came from a VF2....which to me is a sledgehammer....this should be like even balance to u.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

chanchan93 likes this.
  5. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Anytime

If you're gonna try anyone of the AX88 siblings, you might as well consider the 3U weights, especially for the 88S.

As far as my experience with the AX88 rackets in 3U is concerned, they're not that difficult to wield in fast exchanges, intercepts, defense and smashes from both are enough for me, though i can confirm other's experience that the 88D has more beef in it. But it'd be ideal if there's any way you can try both weights of these AX siblings, so you can best judge for yourself which one might suit you best.

As for the JPX Ltd EXTRA STIFF ( kind of hard to acquire as most of this ltd version are in STIFF version only) i find a little more drag with this racket compared to the AX88 siblings, but still quite negligible for my game. Smash with this one is without question for me one that i enjoy a lot. The only caveat here, again, as far as my experience is concerned is to find the right match of string and tension. For the 3 racket models discussed here, so far what is working nicely for me are yonex aerosonic and zymax 66 firepower both at 26lbs.

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

chanchan93 likes this.
  6. chanchan93

chanchan93 New Member

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for your reply! I had the racket for about 3 months, but total on court times probably about 5- 7 games? I think my biggest issue is I lack the patience to slowly get use to the racket, and after a few frustrated shorts during the game, i quickly switch back to my VZF2.

I restring mine at 27 lbs too with BG 80 for both my VZF2 and Astrox 77. Yet I find it abit difficult to handle...my friends also said the same thing! They said if i can get used to the VZF2, surely I can manage the Astrox 77...maybe I just need to spend more time with it?

7. chanchan93

chanchan93 New Member

Thank you so much! I will surely look into the Astrox 88 series if i have the chance :) Your comment really helped me alot! Again thank you so much :)

badmintony likes this.
  8. denny sunarwoto

denny sunarwoto New Member

Since the AX88 siblings released, I always enjoy playing with AX 88D. It definitely improves smashing power for the back court player, but I dont think it will suits best for front court player. I'm currently using AX88D 4U with BG80 26 lbs.

9. duchoainguyen

duchoainguyen Regular Member

Thanks for your reply! I had the racket for about 3 months, but total on court times probably about 5- 7 games? I think my biggest issue is I lack the patience to slowly get use to the racket, and after a few frustrated shorts during the game, i quickly switch back to my VZF2.

I restring mine at 27 lbs too with BG 80 for both my VZF2 and Astrox 77. Yet I find it abit difficult to handle...my friends also said the same thing! They said if i can get used to the VZF2, surely I can manage the Astrox 77...maybe I just need to spend more time with it?[/QUOTE]

Changing rackets can be relatively easy for some but a massive challenge for others, a friend of mine can just pick up a racket and flow with it while I need several sessions (not just games) to adjust if I change from one racket to another. Your playing style and most importantly you skills also contribute significantly to how quick you adapt as well.

I still think you should give your Astrox 77 another go, maybe having a practice session where you just fully focus on adjust your timing instead of playing games. I think you will find the racket very nice to play with when you get used to it :)

chanchan93 likes this.
  10. ErikaT

ErikaT Regular Member

TRADE FINANCE
    I have a the 77 4U for almost 1 year now. I can tell you that the 77 is no where near the zforce 2. The 88s 4U is better and closer to zforce 2 even though there is still a gap, at least to me