Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Hmm.. I have always thought it was Li the weak link of the two. Liu is definitely the weaker in terms of attacking power, but never the weak link. It has always been Li whom the opponents usually target most of the time, too.

2. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

It's safe to say that Liu Yuchen is in top 5 or even top 3 front court player in the world right now. just need his partner to be more consistent.

3. juzzi

juzzi New Member

What's a "natural doubles player"? I know that FHF and CY started their training as singles players before they were paired.

4. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Players who play instinctively with spatial awareness. They are very creative in returns and can spot the oppositions "weaknesses". Examples are Han Cengkai, Yuta Watanabe, Hendra Setiawan and even Lui Yuchen.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I think the best example in CHN team of a natural double player would be Zhang Nan. The only thing he lack is just smashing power and good partner at the moment.

6. juzzi

juzzi New Member

I thought you said LYC wasn't a natural doubles player. If he developed his ability over time is he really a "natural"?

7. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

LYC is definitely the more creative of the two. I feel that whenever if Li Jinhui jumps to attack, 95% of the time it's gonna go down full power with minimal angle. Seldom disguised drop shots or angled smashes. Good idea but will wear him down.

8. antssantss

Retired
    Yes he wasnt, but as i said i was surprised and it looks like it can be turned around. The one we would wish to turn around is Zhao Haodong. And yes Zhang Nan is a great example. Sorry I missed him our

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I wouldn't go that far. Even in his early days FHF was a beast, just had weaknesses in some areas. LYC has weaknesses he'll never address FHF did his. He'll have his time, but I don't think he's going to enjoy sustained success the way really talented players did (LYD, FHF, HS,...). Let's see.

10. antssantss

Retired
    Yes he wasnt, but as i said i was surprised and it looks like it can be turned around. The one we would wish to turn around is Zhao Haodong. And yes Zhang Nan is a great example. Sorry I missed him out. Thanks

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Then clearly your definition of natural is lacking. Something natural isn't learned. If you mean tactically astute, that can be learned, improved over time, but something natural is innate.
    I do agree that he is not a naturally great player, just like he's not a very gifted athlete (compared to a lot of his team mates, he isn't even athletic at all). I wouldn't declare him natural, gifted, or anything - but from how he improved and how effective he is, I would guess that he's a hard worker even by Chinese players' standards. Obviously he has some gift or ability, or he wouldnt be able to play at this level at all, but compared to other elite players he is very much on the hard work and training side of things rather than the natural ability and grace side :D pretty much the complete opposite of players like TTY, KSS or HS

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    or most of the top Indonesians. R/R, Tony/Candra/Halim/Sigit. Those are great players playing in a golden era.

yuquall likes this.
  13. antssantss

Retired
    If I may put it another way, a natural doubles player is one who takes to this category with enjoyment and finesse, without hesitation and fear and with confidence. You may call it tactically astute.
    In a way they are naturally suited to that type of game. Anyway its good that over time one can learn to achieve the confidence needed to play in a court wuth 4 players and limited space.
    Thanks for your clarification. If I misuse the word natural my apologies.

14. antssantss

Retired
    At the Crown Australian Open, of the two Chinese MS players only Sun Feixiang proceeded to the next round overcoming Koki Watanabe in three sets. This is their 5th h2h and SF has won all. But this time it was tougher. Ren Pengbo on the other hand lost easily in straight sets to June Wei Cheam. Was it because JWC has improved or RP was not well?

15. antssantss

Retired
    Great, June Wei Cheam and Sun Feixiang will meet at the next round.

16. antssantss

Retired
    June Wei Cheam now has a 2-0 H2h record against Sun Feixiang. And in this meeting it was in two sets.They last played in 2014 when he went down in 3 sets. So JWC has progressed. Sadly China's MS has lost. Back to the drawing board. Wonder when we can see them again?

17. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I think sun feixiang got exhausted by the tough match with koki watanabe who is a much better player than june wei cheam.

18. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

As predicted june wei cheam lost to wan tzu wei. Probably sun feixiang lost to him because he got exhausted by the match with koki watanabe. He has to improve his stamina at least to play 3 matches a day because he has to play qualification rounds due to his lower world ranking.

19. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Current zhan jun's management is doing a great job. They are sending juniors & second team players for internaitional tournaments to gain much needed experience and to increase their rankings.They seem to be have big plans for di zijian & wan chan, specially for di zijian.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, that's what Sun Feixiang must do, be able to handle two to three matches a day for the qualification round(s) if he is to progress to the main draw.