getting strong for training camp

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by magnusce, Jun 16, 2019.

1. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

hello,

in end july i am signed up for a badminton training camp to improve in badminton.

and i fear that im not in good enough shape like the other players, im not fat or overweight, i just get tired quickly and i feel im very weak in my legs.

do you guys have any advice for how i can build strong legs, and get in good shape in about a month? obviously i dont expect to be like momota in one month, that takes years, but any exercises or training to help build muscle?

2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

First of all, one month (and that's all you got before decreasing the load slightly just before training camp) is not enough to really get fit, and even less to grow muscles, at least not if you're interested in
    Second, you have to goals at the same time
    • getting stamina/speed endurance
    • getting strong
    and that doesn't make it any easier.

That's the bad news, but there's good news as well: There's still a lot that you can do and that will help, that means working on your fitness, training intermuscular and intramuscular coordination, .... but before I suggest something, please let me know how fit you are at the moment, if you have any issues/diseases/(small) injuries/etc. and what you have done so far, what your weekly schedule is until the training camp that you have to build around and how much time you have left each week/day. The more details, the better.

As one important note, always listen to your body, no matter what I (and others) suggest.

3. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

yea thats what i figured, one month is not going to make me superman momota strong, but i dont think the other guys in the training camp are neither, i just want to get a bit more fit so im more ready for the training and can train more effectively.

in terms of the other questions, i think i can run about 5 minutes on end before im out of breath and have to stop, 10 minutes max, i dont have any injuries/diseases, im young 18 year old, so my body is fine i think, im really not flexible tho, but thats something im working on, my schedule is pretty open right now as i got a little break from school to study for a exam in 3 weeks, but i can study in the evening so i have all day free pretty much.

thanks for the respond :)

4. speCulatius

That's not a lot, assuming you're trying to run for a long time and not for pace. That makes it three basic aims
    • build up some basic stamina
    • get some speed endurance
    • work on your flexibility/mobility
    • work on your core
    • get some more power out of your legs
    • throw in some full body workout to get you ready for the high intensity of a training camp...
    I split it up even more, so now it's six different aims to go for. I hope you're motivated to work hard, to push the limits, but since you're young, make sure you're not too motivated. Trust your body, but also listen to it carefully. Be careful when doing training for strength and at full speed. Don't overdo it. For stamina training, just slow down the pace and keep going. For the rest, going too far will set you back more than you can achieve, so start slowly, learn where you are right now, learn what your body can handle and what might be too much. Stop before it's too much.

Your body is not used to training more than a few times a week, so make sure to eat properly. Your body's demand for Vitamin C and proteins will be higher than before, but there's no need to exaggerate the protein intake. Make sure to eat lots of vegetables. Eat healthy food and you'll be fine.
    Also take care of your hydration. Drink a lot, but let go of alcohol for this time. The training will be a big load on your body already, no need to make that worse (and take away your progress) by drinking alcohol. 1/3 apple juice, 2/3 of water is a great drink for these weeks. ;)
    Don't eat less than 2 (3 if possible) hours before each workout.
    I already do have some ideas for a plan, but for this Monday (today!) please start with two workouts:

Morning Workout
    • do some (slow) running, maybe add some of these as a first step of warm-up for a few minutes
    • followed by some loosening up (swinging legs, ankle, knee, ... mobility)
    • followed by a variation of this interval training, but you do not do one legged exercises, just make them one time with both legs, you do it all at a slow pace, because you do not get any breaks. You do each exercise for 20 seconds, followed by running (without moving) for 10 seconds
    • followed by this workout, skip the finisher and maybe the tuck jumps, but go for speed
    • rest for at least 3 minutes and up to five minutes
    • repeat the interval workout, the pace will be slower than the first time, but do it as fast as you still can
    • finish with some slow running (almost walking) for a few (~5) minutes, but no stretching after this workout; foam rolling as a cool down with little pressure would be alright, even recommended
    This is less than one hour, but it's intense!

Now, use your time to really re-hydrate, eat properly. If you want to and feel like it, you can very very slightly warm up again, do some mobility exercises, and stretching after one to two hours after this workout, but that's only if it makes you feel better.

Afternoon Workout
    Again, this doesn't take a long time, the intensity should be much lower than the first one, it's better to do the exercises slower and then repeat the workout, but you really need some discipline not to go too fast for that.

This leaves you with enough time during the day to take care of healthy nutrition, studying and giving some feedback about how you felt after each workout and in between. I hope it helps and sorry for all the links to my channel, but that's pretty much what I made these videos for.
    Depending on your feedback, I might adapt some planning, so that's quite important and don't be afraid to tell details. The more details, the better.
    Also, do you have access to any kind of equipment? Any weights? Rubber bands? Anything?

I hope this helps and I'm awaiting your feedback!

5. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

thanks for the respond!

this is a really cool message, i will definitely be trying these exercises this week.
    today i got a chiropractic appointment (for the neck) so i probably shouldn't workout today,

during last week i had been doing the exercises in this video:

and then i rested 2 minutes
    then i did lunges and squats 3x 20 each
    then i rested 2 minutes
    and then i jogged 5 minutes
    finished off with 5-10 minutes skipping
    and then stretches

i feel my footwork is faster and my body has gotten stronger already, so i cant wait to try your suggestions!

i dont have any weights or foam roller, but i do have a rubberband and a yoga ball and yoga mat.
    and ive only drunk alcoholic once or twice (i didn't like it lol), so thats should be no problem.

thanks again for your respond, and thank you for the workout plan/exercises! i appreciate it :)

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  6. speCulatius

I did not know this video! Basically the same I was suggesting. That's a great start certainly. How often did you do this? Daily? Every other day? Once a week?

So you do stretching as your regular cool down?
    Looks like you're doing yoga as well?
    No need for a foam roller or weights.
    Many 18 year olds in Germany drink, so I just wanted to make sure.

All of this makes me confident that I don't have to go easy on you. ;)

Ask your chiropractor about it. I don't know what it's about, but it might be no issue at all.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That is nick. He is another badminton forum member. I think not playing internationally anymore.

8. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

yea i did that routine every day last week except for monday, i haven't tried to workout twice in one day tho, but i'll probably try that tomorrow.
    they have had a good effect i feel, yesterday i did footwork patterns on a court and i felt much faster and i could keep going for longer.

i do stretch after every workout
    i dont do yoga but my mama used to, so she has the equipment, that she let me use whenever i wanted to.

im very eager to get good at badminton so im ready to work hard these next couple of weeks.

9. speCulatius

Have you tried my suggestions today? Any thoughts?

Did you notice getting slower at some points? When? How did you feel right after each workout? What about one hour later? I'd like to help more, but I need some information to do so...

10. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

hi

i did the first workout you posted, and it was pretty good, it had more advanced drills than the exercises from the video i posted, i did some footwork patterns drills afterwards, and i felt quite fast and more explosive,

i went home and ate some fruits and drank lots of water and tea

i didnt do the afternoon workout, as i had other things to do, and didn't understand why
    can you tell me the advantages/benefits of working out twice a day?

thanks for the help and good suggestions :)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you are 18, you can get somewhat stronger in a month. so i'd recommend keep at it.

if you can, also do some cardio like either running, biking, or some HIIT.

i'd say no need to taper for the training camp. 18yrs old can take lots of abuse.

you are out of breath during run probably because you are trying to sprint too fast. try a much easier pace. try to do 3 miles / 5 km twice a week for now. run 1km, walk for 30 seconds, then run another km. repeat. soon u will find out that you can go on for more than 1 km before walking. and soon u will be able to go non-stop.

12. speCulatius

Thumbs up for this.
    There's several reasons:
    • A training camp will not have only one session a day and I'm one of the guys that believe that the body adapts to the usage of it, this includes at recovery at least to some point. It's shown that trained people recover quicker, so there are changes. So why not prepare for the camp with more than one workout a day? You said you have the time ;)
    • You can train at much higher intensity than training the same time in one session.
    • It's easier to fit in all your goals.
    • and....
    Don't worry, training once a day will still yield great results! I've prepared (tired and not knowing you) two suggestions, one for one workout a day, one with two workouts a day.
    I agree, but overall, running is overrated for badminton players [my opinion]. It's included in my suggestions, but some basic stamina will also be build by the other workouts.

When I say break, it means that it's better when you keep moving/walking around.

The Rest Day does not mean that you're not allowed to move, walking, bicycling with low intensity, ... is all fine.

Don't stretch muscles that have been used a lot just before.

Plyometrics I/II, Stability, Complete Warm Up Routine, Stamina Interval Training, Speed Interval Training.... all refers to my channel, because it's just easier for me. The Rasmussen Drill should be known (otherwise just put it in the YouTube search), it doesn't even need to be on court, since you don't need to go the full distance anyway. I've attached the 5 minute plank workout by Darebee and if you need more help for strength training, either have a look at darebee.com or just ask again. For the workout with one training/day, it sais "Core Strength" on day 4, you can just do the five minute plank again or do other exercises. After the rest day, just start over with day 1. You could add On Court Footwork pattern to the morning workout of day 3 of the 2 workouts/day schedule, just in between the two Interval Trainings. Overall, it's suggestions and not the one and only truth. I did think about this, I did think about what to do and when to do it to address everything that we talked about earlier, but it's late and I cannot promise I didn't oversee anything. Please tell me what you think about it.

Let's get to the schedules for....
    ... ONE training session a day
    1perDay_Training.PNG
    ... TWO sessions a day
    2perDay_Training.PNG
    Feel free to ask questions or just try it. I wanted to explain more, but it's too late now and I wanted to get it to you as soon as possible and I don't know if I could have done it tomorrow.

I hope you like it and I hope you try it.

Edit to add it:
    Stop the plan 3 to 4 days before the camp, only doing some running and full body stretching (at least once) during these last days.

Another one:
    This playlist should include all the Videos from my channel that I'm referring to.

Attached Files:

#12 speCulatius, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  13. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

oh wow this is really cool! i will defiantly try this today, and tomorrow i'll try the two sessions
    ill let you know how it goes,

many thanks for the good advice and knowledge! it looks like youve spend alot of time on this, i really appreciate it!

speCulatius likes this.
  14. speCulatius

You can obviously combine two workout days and one workout days in one schedule... I hope I did this not only for you, but maybe also for others searching for something like this.

Don't forget a rest day in between, that's one important message of this. Some low gear (high frequency), low intensity is something that might be nice on a rest day.

I did not give you any specific workouts for strength on purpose, because that highly depends on you. It's important to not overdo it. Avoid getting sore muscles from it. I like the Plank Workout, but maybe you need to put some breaks in, that's fine, but all the Plyometrics work your core more than you might think now.
    Please include some rotator cuff and shoulder exercises when doing the full/upper body strength.
    For leg strengths, different squad variations (going all the way down) and some one legged stand ups (sitting down, standing up with one leg) are always good.

Always be careful with one footed exercises, especially then you're not used to it.

I'll try to be quiet now and wait for your thoughts.

15. magnusce

magnusce Regular Member

hello
    sorry i didnt write yesterday.

@speCulatius
    wednesday i did the one training session and it was good! i did some lunges and squats after the rasmussen drill aswell,

thursday i did the plyometrics and stamina interval twice and the 5 min plank once, and then later i ran 5 times 4 minutes, and the running felt very good, it is much better than when i only did running a day, i would pace my self too fast like @kwun said, and the plank workout was so hard! i can still feel it in my abs today.

i did find the recovery time hard to time, like i felt there wasnt much time to eat, and didnt know what time i should be doing the afternoon workout. and do you know how to stretch the abs? still sore :(

thank you for the great workout suggestions, they are really cool and easy to follow, no excuses cuz the plan is so simple and nicely setup! thanks :)

Cheung likes this.
  16. speCulatius

You should eat within one hour after the first workout if possible, two hours is still acceptable, because within that period the body is prepared to fill up the reserves used just before. After around two hours, it takes much longer.

The reason why you should not eat (no real meals at least) just before training is that after a meal, blood is directed towards the stomach, thus less blood is available for the muscles. Depending on the meal, this lasts for around 2 hours or more. This leaves you with around a 3 1/2 hours break between the workouts, as a minimum, I'd say, but it can be longer if that works better for you. You can eat some more then. I'm not sure how to help with this, maybe you just need to get used to it?

DO NOT STRETCH SORE MUSCLES. Sore muscles are a result of micro traumata inside the muscle. This damage can be increased by stretching it further.

What stretches the abs? Well everything that extends the muscles, so all stretching exercises that involve twisting the upper body, leaning to one side, leaning to the back, everything that actively uses the back muscles,... I do not have a stretching video yet (I'll get there, I just don't know when), but I'm sure you can either find something online (YouTube/DAREBEE/Google) or ask your mom about some yoga exercises that do the trick. I'm sure there's plenty.

The five minute plank is tough, that's true, but these exercises yield results pretty quickly. Maybe just take halft of the time for now, or 2/3 and a 30 to 60 seconds break after each 2 exercises. You do not want to get sore muscles. Maybe even only take half of the time and a break in between. You can always adapt workouts to your abilities.

For all workouts, push your limits, but don't go further.

You're very welcome.

Cheung likes this.
  17. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Great! I see it's useful to me. I will practice it tomorrow.

18. speCulatius

I created a playlist with all the videos from my channel that I mentioned, so not everybody has to search for everything by himself. At the moment, that's not a big deal, but if I manage to get a new video every week, it might get annoying.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.