Help with Stroke Please!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mason, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I think my movement to all four corners are pretty crappy. And I do review all of my videos. Why do you think I shouldn’t post them here ?

2. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I didn't say you shouldn't post them, I said you should review them before posting them. Then you can add to the discussion - your worries or specific points of improvement etc.

If you say all 4 movements look crappy, you're going to get nowhere. The whole point of improvement is to focus on the biggest problems. Doesn't make sense to ask which strings you should use if you are a beginner that mishits half of your shuttles for example.

I'll just say it because I guess you're not going to look at it specifically. You've got a full forehand grip, shadowing a net shot on your deep backhand forecourt. It's not realistic at all. I mean, it's more realistic if you had just rushed in from the BH rearcourt, but most of he shadows you actually come from the FH forecourt, which makes it mega unlikely you'd have a forehand grip on the BH forecourt. Even IF you did this, the only shot you can play is a net shot, because even the straight lift is pretty difficult to get an angle for with a forehand grip.

Itl leadst to the idea that you're not visualising every movement properly and you're just doing it as variation. In other parts, you shadow a smash and follow up forwards, shadowing a kill - this is good. It's a realistic scenario. In most of the other times, it looks like you're just shadowing a shot, and then shadowing another completely unrelated shot. Especially in the rearcourt, it looks like your imagining playing a smash every time, but your recovery and next shot doesn't match.

Use your imagination more to make a 6-point footwork drill more realistic, otherwise it's not particularly helpful. If you are doing isolated footwork exercise for each of the corners, do several of them as a repetition (like you did for the BH rearcourt).

Obito and Mason like this.
  3. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I see what you are saying here. I need to make the shadowing more realistic , imagining real shots and then also use the proper grip and stroke for each of those shots. I like these suggestions and will try to implement them.

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Pretty good day at the club. I really focused on trying to do a scissor kick when I was in the back court attacking. It looks like I am getting there ...

5. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Today did not go so well with my stroke. I realized after watching this that my grip was wrong and also I was not using the proper starting position for my stroke. I still attempted to scissor jump for my rear court shots where I had more time. I also played 4 games of singles to start things off against better singles players and it really tested out my footwork. I clearly need a lot of work!

6. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I felt good with my shots today. I felt like most overhead shots I had the proper grip and I also felt like I moved around the court much smoother and faster. I tried to scissor kick jump on my back court shots with pretty good success

speCulatius likes this.
  7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Keep your racket and racket hand up in the ready position! You're getting lazy there.

I just had a quick glance at an nine month old video and you are so much lower, so much more stable, so much faster on court now, let alone the improvement in your shots, so keep going, just don't get lazy with the details. You know what you're working on, it didn't change, and it will not change for some time. You're still not involving your body enough and you need to revisit the details all the time.

Thanks for recording your progress all the time, I hope it can be inspiring for others.

Cheung, carltonpowerblade and Mason like this.
  8. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you ! Regarding your comment on not involving the lower body enough, can you be more specific or should I just continue with what I’m currently doing and it will work itself out?

9. speCulatius

I know it's been mentioned before and I know I mentioned it in a pm before, so I thought I didn't have to be.

You will not always use this, but you want to be able to do a 180 degrees turn in the scissor jump. The hip clearly leading.

You want your right leg going forward, not upward, therefore you don't want to be jumping backward (not too much at least). It might help to think of it as kicking your right foot forward?

These are things that have been mentioned before. Next steps would be to actively involved your chest and core to transfer the energy better, but forget about this for now. Another step would be quicker recovery, but you need to work on the other things first to have a chance to do these efficiently.

For now, focus on the details and maybe the two points I mentioned first. Forget about the rest for now.

Cheung, DarkHiatus and Mason like this.
  10. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok thank you, I’ll work on this

11. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Last night I played 4 singles games to start the night off and then doubles games after that. My overhead stroke and footwork felt off but the rest of my footwork was better.
    I was better with drives , and lifts from smashes and was able to get to Drops much faster

12. speCulatius

Just one quick SAFETY note: When lunging, make sure that the toes of your right foot are pointing in the direction of the lunge!

Cheung and darrengsaw like this.
  13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    ...and most importantly, land HEEL first!!

Cheung likes this.
  14. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Yes I need to work on landing heel first and I have a tendency not to have my toes pointing directly forward when I lunge.
    I unfortunate have poor dorsiflexion in my right ankle. That came from years of playing basketball with sprained ankles and not allowing my ankles to heel and just putting a brace on. I have been to countless physical therapists regarding this. It’s not an issue with my soft tissue in the back of my leg that’s restricting my range of motion. It’s My talus bone in the front of my foot/ankle that is actually preventing dorsiflexion to the proper degree.
    I have exercises that I do daily that help with the range of motion but I also need to “load” that range of motion so that my brain learns to use that extra range of motion under load. So whether that load is via weight lifting (lunges , squats loaded calf raises ) or even load when I do a badminton lunge, I am relearning to use the extra range of motion that I can get when I do my physical therapy. Unfortunately with the dynamic aspect of badminton by brain wants to revert back to not using a my extra range of motion and I’ll will end up not lunging completely strait because of it .

I am still working on it but I just wanted to give you a background of the reason why it’s happening.

Cheung likes this.
  15. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I do not normally play on Saturday’s but I did today
    Got in some good games and I felt like my movement and stoke was decent

16. speCulatius

7:24 You're jumping backward, yet you can move forward (almost) immediately after the stroke. Better kick through, but take care of turning your left foot more outward when landing. You have to jump backward, because you're not behind the shuttle despite having the time.

Your hip is still not leading, but I think you now know what I mean when I say that. Often, you're starting your stroke too late, so there's no chance for a leading hip.

On some strokes, your elbow is not leading either (you were right about that), leading to much less pronation.

Sounds like the same old story, but you're definitely on the right track.

Mason likes this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think much better than before. Whether you will be perfect is a bit difficult as you picked up the game as an older player.

Certainly if you were playing singles, it would be a different matter but you look to be coping ok in your games.

The big thing I would look at now is when you run backwards in a straight line such as at 1.08-9. You land fairly correctly on your left leg after hitting the shuttle but continue to go backwards and only stop moving backwards by placing your right leg backwards. The right leg should not step backwards to stop your momentum. Try to get the left leg back further to stop your backwards momentum.

Mason likes this.
  18. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Thank you both for the feedback. It’s very clear and specific and I can work on Those things

One thing that I’ve noticed for me is when I get a chance to do some footwork drills before the games are played it has a carry over to my games and becomes more
    Muscle memory during the games. The same thing if I get a chance to play 100+ overhead strokes as a warmup ,there is a huge carry over to the games
    Last night I didn’t get to do either, I just immediate played games even though I requested a warmup to the other players but they didn’t want to do it .... :(

19. Mason

Mason Regular Member

I played well today. The games felt good and my footwork and strokes looked decent. I’m getting my body right into my shots more so compared to months ago
    I was able to do 10 min of footwork practice before I started and about 10 min of warmup shots And also a couple hundred strokes in my garage last week which also helped

#579 Mason, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You have to stick that left leg much further behind you after you hit the shuttle on a smash or a clear especially when you are running backwards to get into position.

Mason likes this.