Grip Powder / Grip Liquid - The Ultimate Product

Discussion in 'Grip' started by VeritasC&E, Jun 17, 2019.

1. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

I'm always looking for improvement and having sweaty hands I've achieved a huge evolution almost a year ago while switching to towel grip and starting to use grip powder. My smashes are more powerful (I didn't realise that the grip had an effect on this nor that I could smash so much harder than I did at the time) and I have better control on quick movements during the match (and less annoyance from micro-slips). I also don't have any more shoulder and wrist pain (though this last aspect may be due to conjunction with several other factors).

I've tried different towel grips and settled for the best of all of those I've tried, and I later improved by switching shuttles (I now exclusively use A+300 & AS50, and I'm fully satisfied with them, except with the durability of the AS50, which could be a bit better for the price).

In any case, I'd now like to find the ultimate solution in terms of grip powder / liquid. I've tried the original grip powder from Yonex (good enough), then the grip powder from Victor (equally good enough), and the new Grip Powder 2 from Yonex (it's good and it's definitely an improvement over the first version, but I feel there is still room left for the optimal solution). I haven't tried any liquid grip powder so far and I'd like to try the best ones that you guys recommend, along with any powder you find better than the Grip Powder 2 from Yonex?

It would be interesting for us to try to commonly find out which is the absolute best / ultimate solution out there, so if you have any experience with good/great grip powders and liquids, please share them alongside with your thoughts on the topic!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How many of the same racquets do you have?

3. VeritasC&E

3 ZFIIs in 3U and 1 in 4U. I'm already swapping but it would be more efficient to swap less (especially since they each have slightly different tensions and string age, so they are never really equal to each other, and I'd like to remain free to chose based on the session and opponent and not be forced to play with more than maybe 2 each time I play). I also must say I feel a bit guilty for our planet throwing away 1-2 grips each session (it's mostly cotton but if possible I'd still want to make choices that don't further increase my towel grip turnover).

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    String all at the same time.

Don't pick strings and racquet according to the opponent.

Have a fourth 3U racquet.

Switch around all four racquets as required

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the best solution to sweaty hands for me is to use a wrist sweatband. that cuts down more than half the sweat from reaching the grip and no powder will be able to achieve that.

VeritasC&E likes this.
  6. VeritasC&E

I totally agree, I forgot to mention the use of a sweatband on my right wrist (which I started doing before even using towel grip). As you say, it makes a huge difference in that most of the sweat that reaches the hand/palm does not originate from the hand/palm itself (for me personally, I would assess that without a sweatband >80% of the sweat that would reach my hand would originate from my arm and not the hand itself). However, in summer my sweatband tends to get soaked quite quickly (also because I use it to dry my forehead not to get salt in my eyes while playing). In any case: Sweatbands, even though not part of the grip/hand directly, are as you say a big component of having the perfect hand-to-grip conditions.

kwun likes this.
  7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I don't know any "ultimate" powder grip. I can't even feel the differences between that yonex powder thing #1 or #2.

However I used to sweat much more than I do today since I train off-court 3 times a week for a year and a half now , dropped 6kgs, eat healthier (and less meat) and don't drink alcohol.

Sweating means thermoregulating. Proper water intake will help. Wearing breathable clothing too. Most importantly how much efforts it takes our body to move from A to B will influence how much we need to thermoregulate. Carrying extra pounds or being undertrained ask for a greater effort thus resulting in more sweat. I have no idea about your training routine, diet or weight so I don't assume anything but may be that's something that could help too.

Cheung likes this.
  8. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Just my idea: buy 3 rackets and carry on a hair-dryer. ^-^

the best grip is the dry cloth grip, made of the fluffy towel.

The old towel which was used 30-50 times is the best grip in the world to me.

Not the one that people sell on shop, it's quite soft to me.

#8 terrynguyen121988, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  9. snowandlights

snowandlights Regular Member

Climbing Chalk! much much cheaper than grip powder, and better.

10. VeritasC&E

Do you have a specific one to recommend for me to try out? Which is the "absolute best"?

snowandlights likes this.
  11. snowandlights

It’s all pretty much just powdered magnesium carbonate. There’s not much difference between any brads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. snowandlights

It’s all pretty much just powdered magnesium carbonate. There’s not much difference between any brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Back in the day when I was more seriously into climbing, I tried a lot of different chalks and I found "Metolius Super Chalk" to be the winner. And make sure to order it as a "sock" (https://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Sup...limbing+chalk&qid=1562591401&s=gateway&sr=8-4) since else it will be impossible to handle inside your bag. I can't tell if you feel any difference on a badminton grip between different brands though to be honest. I know that some climbers are completey obsessed about liquid chalk (https://dmmclimbing.com/Products/Chalk-Bags/Chalk) but I've never used it myself.

14. VeritasC&E

I'll try them out!

15. dickography

dickography Regular Member