Astrox 66 4U compared to Astrox 77 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Swat, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Swat

Swat Regular Member

If you have used the ax66 4U and the ax77 4U, how do they compare in terms of stiffness, balance point and handling? Haven't seen any reviews on the 66, so if you know any relevant reviews, please post links.
    Thanks!

2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Because of your post I got curious about AX66. Upon checking its specs online, I found some consistent descriptions of its flex as Hi-Flex, similar to my AX2 altho heavier than the latter which is 5U. Personally, I like the AX2 despite its supposedly non-NAMD design but there are occasions when I feel that it is somewhat a tad lightweight to be exciting to use. So, if AX66 is heavier than AX2 in that it is 4U and with a NAMD, then I'm certainly interested to be able to try this out also.

3. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Yes, the 66 is supposed to be hi-flex. But some (incuding Badminton Racket Review) says it's actually stiff, which is confusing.
    For me, the 4U 77 plays as expected by the specs (medium), so I would like to know if the 66 feels more flexible but equally head heavy.

4. badmintony

Badminton racket review's flex test is very manual just like many other reviews. If the declared flex of the racket was based on a machine from the factory that manufactured it, I'd believe the latter more.

5. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Yes, I don’t know how they came to that conclusion, haven’t seen the details. But, like you, I wouldn’t rely on that :)

6. HARSHA M

HARSHA M Regular Member

AX.PNG

first to make things clear, i haven't used both of these rackets.
    But from the yonex catalog i can say that AX 77 is stiffer and head heavy as compared to AX66.(i think AX66 is the least head heavy among the astrox series)
    NAMD is an interesting material, its used in stiffer shafts on 99/88 to hi-flex ones on 66. yonex says the shaft is made of H.M.GRAPHITE/Namd,so its a composite of both. i think thats how they achieve the range of stiffness.
    here is a quote from yonex:
    "In high performance racquets, it is common to combine nanomaterials with resin that connects Graphite fibers, but in Namd, nanomaterials are directly adhered to the graphite fibers and the degree of adhesion between Graphite fibers and resin is greatly increased. This major improvement produces a shaft that flexes and stores energy, delivering explosive force on impact with the shuttle."

7. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Thanks, I just don't think those charts are very useful, though they give a very rough hint about the racket.
    For instance, I would put the 77 where the 7 is and 88D where the 9 is (in reference to 88S). But, that is my experience :)

8. badmintony

Hmm. If this matrix is reliable, i'd just stick to my AX2 then

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

9. badmintony

Hmm. If this matrix is reliable, i'd just stick to my AX2 then

Now i'm just wondering; badmintonbay specifies AX5fx as W73 BP305 and AX2 W78 BP310. Why is the AX5fx above the AX2 then? I wonder which one is more reliable

10. Swat

Swat Regular Member

Anyone tried both 66 and 77?