Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    The coaches have done a great job on Shi Yuqi. He displays Good courtcraft, a lot of deceptive shot making,and clever smashes. He is also early to the shuttle and anticipates well. They should pass this onto the juniors, especially the 15 year olds

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-06-24/doc-ihytcitk7268757.shtml

At the just concluded China National Individual Badminton Championships ending on 23rd June 2019 held in Ruichang county, jiujiang city, Jiangxi province, the following emerged champions in their respective categories:-

MS Sun Feixiang triumphed over Gao Zhengze
    WS Zhou Meng prevailed against her fellow teammate (name not stated, I suspect it's Wei Yaxin)
    WD Chen Mingchun/Gao Ziyao won in three sets (opponents name unstated)
    MD Wang Sijie/Tao Jianqi scored a come-from-behind victory
    XD Tao Jianqi/Ni Bowen beat Xiao Shicheng/Zheng Xuhui after three grueling sets.

Altogether there were 27 teams across the nation and 627 participants including 32 national team members contesting the championships over eight days. The tournament is touted to be the strongest and largest national individual badminton championship in history to date (though most of the national elite players are usually absent).

CLELY likes this.
  3. antssantss

Retired
    Surprised that Sun Feixiang still leading the Pack. What happened to Weng Hongyang and Li Shifeng? But glad that ZZ is catching up. Disappointed that there are still no new talents

4. antssantss

Retired
    Thanks for the results Justin

Cheung likes this.
  5. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Did lin guipu participate in this??

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No idea, no other names were mentioned in that report other than the podium finishers.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

He took part but lost to Zhou Ze Qi in last sixteen, looking at below MS draw.
    [​IMG]

8. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

Can u translate the name by the number??

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

TOP HALF
    1. Li Shi Feng
    2. Tian Hou Wei
    3. Xu Yi Ming
    4. Sun Fei Xiang
    5. Zhao Wei Yi
    6. Wu Xin
    7. Zhou Ze Qi
    8. Lin Gui Pu

BOTTOM HALF
    9. Liu Shu Min
    10. Liu Liang
    11. Ren Cheng Ming
    12. Gao Zheng Ze
    13. Pang Yu Cai
    14. Zhao Jun Peng
    15. Gu Jun Feng
    16. Bai Yu Peng

Zhou ZQ is bronze medalist alongside with Zhao Jun Peng, I assume Lin GP lost to him at last 16.

Justin L, antssantss and djake like this.
  10. antssantss

Retired
    Some juniors like liu liang, weng hongyang, liu haicho and a few others not there. But glad the finalists managed to beat the "veterans".

11. Banuka

Banuka Regular Member

I think sun feixiang has improved a lot.

12. antssantss

Retired
    First round of the Canadian Open saw all the Junior MS advancing. Lei Lanxi (LLX) surprisingly beat Minoru Koga, quite a good Japanese junior who won the 2019 Swedish Open, defeating Loh Kean Yew! And LLX lost the first set too.
    Looking at the performances of the juniors I must say they have improved themselves. LLX kept his concentration well to win. I wonder whether MK was under the weather, as he looked a spent force.
    Li Shifeng beat Brian Yang ,quite a good junior but inconsistent. LS doesn't have a killer smash and I think this will tell on him in future. Liu Haicho who has a good smash, showed he is ready in this tournament. Lets see how he fares with Zhou Zeqi tomorrow. We will also see the rest of the juniors including Ren Pengbo tomorrow. Looking forward to Weng Hongyang rematch against Lakshya Sen and Sun Feixiang's match as well.

Justin L likes this.
  13. antssantss

Retired
    Poor Lakshya Sen. He doesn't like playing Weng Hong Yang. Its one of those things where WHY is his nemesis. But LS was too impatient and made so many mistakes,forced or unforced.
    I couldn't find Li Shifeng and Lei Lanxis matches , but looking at the others, I must say WHY impresses by his great lifts under pressure. He also has a strong smash and good deception. For me he is the best of the juniors currently, followed by Sun Feixiang and then Liu Haicho. But if LHC can cut down his simple errors and improve his lifts under pressure I think he can be very good. SF played his usual patient and clever game against an increasingly confident Kan Chao Yu who was getting stronger as the game wore on.
    Congratulations to the juniors. Glad LHC overcame ZZQ and quite convincingly too.
    Tomorrow will be their biggest test, as the opponents are no pushovers. But LSF will meet LHC which will be interesting. I am hoping LHC will prevail.

#2453 antssantss, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Justin L, Baddie lover and Cheung like this.
  14. antssantss

Retired
    Back to the drawing board for the Junior MS squad. My 2 picks were disappointing, i.e. Liu Haicho and Weng Hongyang. WHY didn't play intelligently against R. Ouseph. You need a strong attack and deception as LHC did in the Scottish Open. Instead WHY kept lifting to RO's forehand and suffered many smashes down the line. He lost the plot so to speak.
    LHC needs to be fitter so that he can use his smashes to pressurise his opponent. He kept using too many tricky shots to win points but it didn't work. Both of them still not there and appear to be in WIP mode. Lei lan Xi played well but made too many errors against a more experienced Koki Watanabe. Sun Feixiang played quite well but Sourabh Verma is a very tough opponent. Ren Pengbo has not been the same since his ankle injury and daren't jump smash anymore. He hasn't been able to adjust his game to be menacing as he used to be.
    Although their opponents were tougher I must say in summary, more work needs to be done to bring them up a level or two.. I don't know whether its more exposure or something else. I remember Shi Yuqi used to disappoint as well, so they maybe at this stage, i.e. disappointing, ;):) .
    On to next weeks US Open.
    BTW I hope Gao Zhenze is not injured as he deserves to be here.
    And lastly best of luck to Li Shifeng against Sourabh Verma, a tough call indeed.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Shi YQ needs not too long time for his effort to be established player, post Rio 2016 he grabbed three titles when he was 20 years old at that time, INA Masters, back to back French Open (Superseries), Bitburger Open (GP Gold). No wonder, he's China golden boy now, the best hopeful for Tokyo 2020.
    How about his compatriots? Sorry to say none of them could carve impressive/significant result so far including Lu Guang Zu. Need longer time? Maybe or maybe not, Tian, Wang, Du are really good examples that showing some players failed to be star players, many factors that contributing it, technical and non technical skill.

US Open Super 300 is tougher since most of CHN back ups will crawling from qualification round, the line-up isn't too much different with the ongoing CAN Open.

16. antssantss

Retired
    I tend to agree with you and feel that they should concentrate on the 15 to 17 year olds. But there isn't much choice as these juniors were neglected when they were younger. So they are starting later.
    Most of them have won a minor tournament so thats not bad. The CBA needs to work on the younger ones and send them out.They took so long to let the veterans go and persisted with ZZQ and Huang Yuxiang. I feel your potential should be spotted when you are 16 to 18 and by 20 if you haven't shown your talent, new players should be encouraged to take over. I believe that the younger ones should be coached by a different team and go out as an independent group. The top three of this group will be slowly exposed to play against the seniors so as not to give them a mental disadvantage.
    The Asian junior championships will be on soon. Hopefully Liu Liang and company have been working out as there are some good juniors taking part.

17. antssantss

Retired
    What a surprise, Li Shifeng beat S. Verma who is ranked very much higher. I didn't expect this at all. But LSF played very well indeed. A clinical and controlled game with power and clever placements. Now I understand why the coaches favour him and Sun Feixiang and not my picks, Liu Haicho and Weng Hong Yang. And at only 19 years he is a good prospect for the future. His next opponen, Koki Watanabe will be a good test for him. I wish him all the best. If he continues to play like he did I think he will do well. I didn't like his game earlier as he was not playing intelligently, had no power and made silly mistakes. But all this changed today. I am glad to be proven wrong. The coaches are doing the right thing with the juniors. Congratulations.
    And Wang Zhiyi beating Natsuki Oei was also a surprise. WZ is mentally strong as she was down 12 - 8 in the 3rd game but came through to win 21- 17.

Justin L likes this.
  18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Don't know whether CBA has appraisal program for those underperformers, wasting time and expenses without any specific target, taking part so many tournaments (more than 10 in 12 months) with being early round casualty frequently:rolleyes:

19. antssantss

Retired
    Yes totally agree. They are also bad in not letting the 12 to 15 year olds take part in overseas tournaments. I see Malaysians and Indonesians have many youngsters in these tournaments. Its a weakness in the programme. If they are concerned about the youngsters safety then hold tournaments in China and invite other nations to take part. But there is no better experience than going abroad.

20. antssantss

Retired
    Wow what a talented player Wang Zhiyi is. Kim Hyo Min has been a very good player since junior days but today she was surprised by some of the shots played by WZY ! Her control of the lengths to every part of the court, even under pressure was what won her the match. KHM tried her best to break WZY's rhythm by varying her shots but errors resulted.
    But she will have to play her very best to beat the young Korean An Se Young. Its a difficult match and I think the korean youngster is the firm favourite I am afraid.
    I can't seem to find the Li Shinning v Koki Watanabe replay. Anyone can help?