Searching for strings that are fitting my game

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Knörbel, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Knörbel

Knörbel New Member

Hello everybody.

I´m searching for strings that are fitting my playstyle.
    It is the second time I will change the strings of one of my rackets (1/3).
    I guess I would categorize myself as an intermidiate amateur without experience in clubs, teams, tournaments.
    My game has two components:
    1. Smashing, whenever possible, to set my opponent under pressure
    2. trying to hunt my opponent and set him up for a final strike.
    It´s the second time in 3 Years of playing intense, that one of my three rackets needs to be restrung. So I guess my technique is OK.

The problem is, that I don´t know what tension my rackets are set up with. Last time I just went into the store and told them, what my playstyle is and they did their job.

Now I want to dig a little bit deeper.
    What tension would you mention, what diameter, what exact string?

Thanks for any reply!

Knörbel

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

How often do you play? It's very rare to have a string last for years. It means that you've been using very durable strings and very low tensions. Anything you specify for the next restring might feel completely different to what you're used to.

3. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Depending on where you are located and the accessibility to a proper stringer, if you are playing regularly especially tournaments and club level, i would suggest you restring at least every 3 months to see if it helps in your game. Do not think there is any string that can last and retain its properties in regular play perhaps 10hrs a month for more than 3 months. So if you last strung years ago, i would suggest a change of practice. If you have access to Yonex strings, you can give BG65 (0.7mm) a try as it is a durable benchmark with the bare minimum required and slowly progress to other strings like BG80 (high repulsion, hard feeling, 0.68mm), NBG98 (high repulsion medium feeling 0.66mm), BG66 Ultimax /Force (soft-medium feeling, 0.65mm) and find the one you best like. BG65 can last pretty long and the thinner gauges tend to be less durable.

4. Knörbel

Knörbel New Member

Twice a week for 1-1,5 hours. It´s a hobby for me, but gets passion more and more.
    I have to confess, that I killed two rackets before. Just to be honest.
    I mostly played the stock strings.
    My rackets at the moment are:
    Carlton Powerblade Superlight (oldest Racket with second string setup)
    Talbot Torro Isoforce 1011.8 (highest Tension due to impact sound)
    Oliver Phantom X9 (relatively new but low tension compared to the others. This is the racket I want a new setup for!)

Even with the highest tension (in my case the talbot torro) I have to reduce the power of my clears.

This said, I think in theory more tension could solve Issue this and give me other advantages too?

Knörbel

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

A lot of things make me think, that this
    is just a lie, but that doesn't matter, you're still allowed to enjoy strings.

Since you're from Germany, where are you from? There might be a place close to you that I (or one of the other German members) can recommend.

I'd say, just go with BG65 for now, I think you will like it and tension wise, considering
    I'd say, stick to tensions around 10 Kilo.

Rob3rt likes this.
  6. Knörbel

Knörbel New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I live in Mönchengladbach.

7. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

That seems to be difficult. The people from Rheydt have Han as a stringer. He lives in Düsseldorf, but picks up their rackets when there are some. I'm just gonna quote the second part of the answer that I got
    If you're interested in a stringer in Düsseldorf, drop me a PM, otherwise I don't know who else I could ask. Sorry.

8. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I guest its something that you yourself need to experiment with. Each person have different preference.
    On every thread here about racket or string, there will always hate & love.

So you might want to experiment from 1 string to other string & try different tension.

Maybe you can do this.
    Choose 1 string (let say BG80P) with 24lbs. Play with it till 3-4month. Then restring with the same string but with different tension. If you feel underpowered or unable to hit consistenly then try 22lbs, if you feel it to bouncy or you enjoy it then try 26lbs.
    Again after 3-4 month, restring & move to other string with repeat pattern.

But as you are beginner as you said, i recomend to avoid thin string unless you dont mind to restring often.

9. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Are you playing with feathers or plastic?

I would recommend a maximum of 10,5kg, better 10kg for plastic in germany. At the latest in winter you get problems with a harder string.

With the Yonex BG65 you do nothing wrong and is a significant upgrade to the factory strings. Thinner strings sometimes break very quickly and plastic breaks strings even faster.

10. Knörbel

Knörbel New Member

We are playing with feather shuttles. I have been to a local store, that has dedicated equipment for racket sports (i.e. tabletennis, Tennis, Squash and Badminton) and talked to the owner. He plays Badminton in a club and made the same statement as you guys here.
    10 kg with Yonex BG65s should be a good starting point. From this he would go +- 0,5kg everytime I experience any problems until I feel comfortable withe the tension. He would not reduce the string diameter in my particular case, due to the overall durabilty/playability balance of 0,7mm strings.

Have to wait until Saturday to test the new setup.

Besides the shop had several Badminton Rackets in stock and I could swing some of them. The shop owner recommended 3 Rackets and the one I liked most was the Babolat X-Act 85XF. It had a great overall feeling. Headheavy, midflex. 10kg stock tension with 0,7mm strings, etc. He made me a special offer for this racket, so I wanted to find out if Babolat is a good/known brand (I know, that the tennis rackets are good, but Badminton???) and if the particular X-Act 85XF is a good choice.

Searched the Internet and did not get a final result.

Can anyone say something about Babolat oreven the X-Act 85XF?

Thanks for the replies!

11. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I own babolat long ago & its quite good actually. To bad mine broken due to heavy clash with my friend. Its known brand, tho here in my place its kinda hard to find. Idk how i could find mine before, i guest its just a fate:D

12. Eix82

Eix82 Regular Member

From my personal experience, you can try first at lower tensions, but when you try to up the tension, jump more than 0,5kg and try to find the highest you're comfortable at. From the general suggestions I also started low and tried to slowly advance the tension and kept founding that with every increase it felt better, until I hit my limit at about 12,5Kg (that's the number I ask from the stringer, it drops with time), over that and I don't play as well (the smaller sweetspot starts to become noticable), but lower than that and I can feel the accuracy (and even power) drop. And I'd consider myself a relative begginner or maybe low end of intermediate but definitely not a good player (no formal training whatsoever), though I personally do tend to favour accuracy (like netshots and dropshots) over powerful smashes. So I would suggest to try to find that highest limit you're comfortable at, because that's where the best feeling lives and the bigger the jumps, the faster you discover where that upper limit is (and then step the tension down a bit until you feel great playing with it). Though higher tensions do come with a cost in durabilty, especially if you're a hard hitter. So you'll have to weigh the importance of feeling vs durability to you personally.

#12 Eix82, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    regularAl likes this.
  13. Knörbel

Knörbel New Member

I now own the babolat x-act and am quiet happy with it. I set it up with bg65 AT 10.5 kg and my precision has increased clearly.

My next step is to increase the tension to 11kg and to get 0.66-0.69er strings. But until the next string change I am good for now...

Thanks for the recommendations.

Gesendet von meinem MI 8 mit Tapatalk