Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Cute photo!

I was hoping that Matsui/Takeuchi would take it though, especially considering who they have taken on and beaten in this tournament. ... They really do seem to have problems fighting their own countrymen. :rolleyes:

Pcyl, jyeung and Michael V like this.
  2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I feel something new from Nishimoto, let's see how far he will go at Indonesia Open.

3. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

MatsuShida won convincingly against the Korean pair. In the 2nd game, they dropped in the 1st set 7-11, 12-12, and closed it at 21-15.

They are the only WD left in this tournament.
    Hope they can take on this opportunity :)

Pcyl likes this.
  4. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

@kurako do you know why Asuka Takahashi, Mizui, or Urushizaki don't play in any tournament? except Mizui, they are not student anymore right.

I think they should, to gain experiences, like Korean Singles do.

Pcyl likes this.
  5. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I also would like to see

1. Oie
    2. Mizui
    3. Asuka Takahashi

Play more in international tournaments.

They have potentials.

I was impressed by Oie. She moves shuttles fast. This means her racket skills and wrist power is really good. When she was leading Wang Zhi yi 17-15 , Wang suddenly increased her speed. As an attacker, Oie 's instinct was to attack back quickly. But because the shuttle was moving faster, Oie gets behind the shuttle a fraction of a second too late and keeps smashing the shuttle to the net.

Not an expert ... but Maybe, what she should have done when opponent suddenly increase speed is to patiently try to absorb and quickly adjust to the new speed first before continuing with her attacks. Oie's is a good attacker. With more experience, she can do really well.

Was hoping to see her play in USA open but she did not enter the competition.

Mizui is also a player with great skills. She must not let herself become over frustrated over a few mistakes during a match. Period of misfortune comes around sometimes and it goes. It is easy to forget that misfortune can also happen to the opponents. Just have to weather it out and keep focus on making adjustments on the spot.

Asuka Takahashi is not only a good player but she has physical advantage because she is tall. Enjoy watching her play a few times. She have to improve her stamina. If game goes to the third set, she becomes less accurate.

#1285 Pcyl, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  6. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Just finished watching Replay of Matsu/Shida ... Yes, very interesting this pair can over power the Koreans but Fukushima/hirata n Matsu/Taka pairs have trouble handling the Koreans.

But I do notice that Matsu/Shida are good attackers. Instead of just be contented to take attacks, they take a lot of initiatives to do the attacking. Have not been following them so much so I don't know about their consistency. Anyway, it is something they can work towards.

UKnowWho likes this.
  7. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Shida played well and Matsuyama's mistakes were matched by Kim's, so the end result was a win. I don't think Baek/Jung will do them the same favour, tbh. NM has to up her game for final, if they want to win the title.

8. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Just finished watching a replay of Ayumi Mine match. Another player i have not been following but from the way she played, something tells me she will be improving much just from the training she gets in that match. She fought from behind with a good Korean player who seems to specialize in steep drop shots taken from a very high point.

Sim Yu Jin is quite amazing because almost all her steep drop shots could pass over the net. She must have a very good sense of how to apply the correct angles. Ayumi had no choice but to run all over the court. Perhaps due to good training or some other reasons, it looks like Ayumi's stamina is in a very good shape and she was willing to do what it takes. With mental strength, physical shape and good skills, Ayumi managed to come from behind and win the match. If a player plays like this, he or she can only get better and better whether win or loose. Congratulation Ayumi! Hope Mizui Hirari picks up something from the way Ayumi played this match.

#1288 Pcyl, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    UKnowWho likes this.
  9. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

Mine is a defensive player, and rarely can kill the shuttle with smash (less power)

Tomorrow her opponent is Wang Zhiyi, i think it will be a long long match, Wang is defensive player too....let's see

Pcyl likes this.
  10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Actually, none of them are students. Mizui joined NTT-East (the same corporate team as Momota) this April after graduating from High School.

As the US Open is a Super 300 tournament, the Nippon Badminton Association (NBA) will only generally allow the top-ranked players in the B Team participate; i.e., as far as WS is concerned, Kawakami and Mine.

Even in the Canada Open (World Tour 100), Mizui, Oie, and Koga Minoru participated on a self-financed basis, with the permission (but not financial support) of the NBA. They were able to play only because their employer, NTT-East, paid for them to do so.

Unfortunately, the employers of Takahashi Asuka and Urushizaki Mako, i.e., Yonex and San-in Godo Bank, respectively, do not appear quite as generous, ... hence, they have fewer opportunities to experience the international stage.

I agree; the more the NBA invests in these players, the better for the future of Japanese badminton. This applies equally to talented players, such as Naraoka, Oie, and Matsui/Takeuchi (MD) who, for some unknown reason, are not even on the national team. But, currently, I don't think that too much attention is being paid to second-tier players (for want of a better word). The only thing on the mind of the NBA is "Tokyo 2020".

visor, jyeung and Pcyl like this.
  11. UKnowWho

UKnowWho Regular Member

MatsuShida won with 3 games againts China pair. The first game, they lost a little strange, leading 19-15 and losing 19-21. In game 2 and 3, they won convincingly. Shida's defense was good, compared to Matsuyama, who still had many unforced error.

Tomorrow they will fight Baek / Jung again, i think they have chance, depending on the Matsuyama's game ;)

12. Cunning Linguist

I'll be damned. Thank god the Koreans were well pummeled at the end and made grave errors themselves. Another meltdown was already on the way. :D

#1292 Cunning Linguist, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  13. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Meanwhile at the Russian Open, 18-year-old high school student, Naraoka Kodai, has defeated the No. 1 seed, Subhankar Dey, and advanced to the QF. :)

14. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeay, all JPN WD Final is happening again. I think this is the first time it happens this year. Although JPN team doesn't do great in Indonesia Open as a whole, it is nice that all JPN Final can happen again. Time to restore the domination, JPN WD!

Michael V likes this.
  15. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

With the World Championships just around the corner, it just occurred to me how much is actually at stake for the JPN WD pairs. An automatic invite to the World Tour Finals, aka no need to slug it out at lower tier World Tour events is such a huge advantage! Also winning WC with 13000 points plus automatically getting at least 6600 points at WTF (since let’s face it, none of the JPN WD are finishing at the bottom of the group anyway) is a big big big boost to Olympic qualification. I’d even daresay that if a JPN WD pair wins at Basel, it’s close to impossible for that pair to not qualify for the Olympics.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

The WD's performance at the WC is largely going to be determined by who is the fittest and strongest. ... Or, in an even more negative light, who is going to survive as far as Basel without sustaining an injury.

Just to elucidate, here is the schedule of Japan's A Team for the next month:

July 16 - 21: Indonesia Open
    July 23 - 28: Japan Open
    July 29 - August 5: Thailand Open
    August 8 - 15: National Training Camp
    August 15 - 27: World Championships

I would be surprised if anyone managed to perform according to expectations.

Pcyl and Michael V like this.
  17. Cunning Linguist

Crazy. I don't think you'll find a single person in the world outside of the NBA (and probably quite a few inside as well) who thinks the team needs to play the freaking Thailand Open.:rolleyes:

Then again, I looked at the schedules for China, Korea and Indonesia and they are all on board for the tournaments in Japan and Thailand as well. And I don't presume they'll just get a week off ahead of the WC, either. It looks like it's going to be the same intense month for everyone (minus Denmark).

#1297 Cunning Linguist, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Cheung likes this.
  18. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I am not so sure. I think that some team members from other countries are being more selective. Christie and Ginting, for example, have opted out of Thailand.

And, that national training camp...!!

Michael V likes this.
  19. Cunning Linguist

Maybe they'll skip sprints up hill this time and just do a lot of massages, relaxing, and team building. :D

Michael V, Cheung and kurako like this.
  20. Yulius

Yulius Regular Member

Is the 4 spots for WD in A Team only because of the Olympic? Are we expecting 4 spots again for next year and then back to 3 spots the year after?