How close am I to having Taufik's backhand?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Koozwad, Jul 13, 2019.

1. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Now this I would say would be a decent indicator of power generation technique, just as watching someone speed testing a shuttle correctly on the forehand side gives you a generally good indicator of their playing ability.

However, hitting backhand strokes from midcourt and hitting overhead backhand smashes/clears whilst practically throwing your whole body at it from the rearcourt are not such good indicators...

After all, would you be impressed if someone could do a forehand overhead clear if they were able to jump/scissor kick from the rear line? I think not, because it's really quite common!

2. Koozwad

Koozwad Regular Member

@Ballschubser
    Yeah I've heard about that before, and when analysing the video I noticed with most swings I would raise my foot slightly off the ground. I think the energy is literally coming from my toes and flowing all the way to my fingers. Maybe if everyone uses the kinetic chain they can all perform such backhands. I have never trained for it, I guess you just need to 'feel' every swing and keep trying to improve/optimise it.

@ralphz
    That backhand looks very nice though I question how it would compare if a bunch of people with strong backhands would perform them in the same hall. You would think from his arm speed his backhand isn't very powerful. Maybe the hall is warm? I have noticed when it's warm in the hall the shuttles fly much easier. It was also just one backhand in the video. I am a bit sceptical... While it's true I didn't stand behind the back line, I could easily hit the wall at the end of the hall. Often even cross court(from the middle). I have a lot of room for improvement though, but I think the foundation is good. By the way what do you mean with "Suppose somebody can self feed and do a backhand the length of the court."? Do you mean standing behind the baseline, throwing the shuttle up and doing a backhand clear baseline to baseline?

@DarkHiatus
    I will need to test that some time in a bigger hall. Do you know what the hall temperature is during big tournaments? If I test it when it's too cold I won't be doing myself any favours and if it's too warm I would be cheating. Of course a lot of variables will affect the backhand power. I always use arm speed as a good indicator of a powerful swing. The video I posted was by no means an attempt at simulating swings that could happen in a match, it was purely to test the power of the backhand. I actually made the video by request from someone. What I meant to say with my arm not 'magically changing' was that I can still use that 'whip' swing from any angle, and do so often. If I get the chance I will attempt a cross court clear baseline to baseline from the ground. I want to do it honestly though so it'd have to be the right temperature etc.

@SSSSNT
    Already working on muscle training(still at very early stages). I have heard from someone I know who has said the same thing about the racket that I should never limit my swing speed. That swing speed is very important and should never be limited by a racket. Not sure if I should go for head-light(even in singles) though. Maybe if someone is capable of swinging very fast they should make use of that and not limit it. What area would you recommend focusing on?

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

The shuttle you use varies on temperature. The speed of shuttle should be matched to the temperature and is able to be checked with the standard speed test (forehand stroke contacted behind the line) - see the rules of badminton or YouTube how to do it.

If you only have one speed of shuttle available, you'll just have to wait for the temperature to be correct, which can only be verified with the standardised speed test.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yeah that'd indicate power. Cross court even moreso. Whether self fed or not. And if self fed then you can do it whenever you want. (and i'm talking strictly power

And i'm just making a simple logical point about power generation shown by distance the shuttle travels. Obviously if you can hit it across a basketball court then that'd be even more impressive re power. I have not seen anybody do that.

And since you mention Taufik, I think a crucial point made in this thread was by DH in Post #10 first paragraph about being able to hit from low, cross court...........

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I partly agree. At pro level the lateral footwork in the backcourt is superb, efficient and fast. Partners in MD can trust blind, communicate well, have prettyless misunderstanding. For XD, when the guy need often cover 3 corners to help their lady, the backhand become more important. Also the tactic "Play to the backhand" will never work at such a level with the same advantages like in lower level doubles. But I diagree for the 3rd shot scenario or fast counter attacking while you attack. The backhand is in doubles also important and often played to neutralize a counter attack.

For us average joes, we sometimes face players whose game built is highly biased towards playing to the backhand. Flat and fast. When I have misunderstandings with my partner (rotation in attack) I'm highly forced to play the backhand often in doubles. In mixed doubles as well.

LenaicM likes this.
  6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
  7. Koozwad

Koozwad Regular Member

8. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I think that video cover pretty much what some of us tried to explain earlier in this thread in terms of what a real match situation backhand is and how different it is to the ones showcased in the videos posted so far.

Exercice #10 of the video is somehow similar to the OP except it's flat backhand drives which are fast and hit at net height. Again when in the mid court and the shuttle is high enough, better use a forehand stroke. But some good drills for everyone interested in improving their backhands.

ucantseeme likes this.