What are the problems with light rackets? (Below 75 grams)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by SSSSNT, Jul 15, 2019.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

A friend of mine just bought Astrox 22. It's a 70 grams racket. He's an intermediate-advanced player. Before, he uses a 3U BS12.

I've borrowed the racket for a quick match, seems okay. Feels fast and I can deliver decent smashes/clear even though I had timing issues. Perhaps need more time to be fully comfortable.

I asked him what he thinks about that racket. He said it feels noticeably easier on the elbow/shoulder and he feels it's really fast. When I play against him, I don't really see a decrease in his smashing/clearing/drive power. I feel he's slightly faster than usual in his reaction. Although, he did miss some easy shots. Perhaps because of the same timing issues I had.

I'm thinking of buying the same racket if it really is easier on the elbow/shoulder while delivering a good performance. Have you guys tried a really light racket? What has been your experience?

2. Radu Popeanu

Radu Popeanu New Member

Almost the same as your friend. Less pressure on my elbow. I can accelerate faster, therefore my smashes improved, as well as my drives. But you will need some time to get used with the racket. Overall, a good experience for me. I am using LiNing Windstorm 72

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ngcantrong and SSSSNT like this.
  3. llrr

llrr Regular Member

There's nothing inherently wrong with super light racquets (>5U) but since F=ma, then you need much faster swing speed to generate the same power. It's up to each individual to find the balance between racquet specs, their own strength, technique, etc.

SSSSNT likes this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

At least you can try your friend racket. If you feel good then it will be good for you.

But if you look for more complicated way, well...
    Imagine a 2 ball with the same size & weight then try hitting both to each other head to head on the same speed. Both ball will bounce back equally.
    Try switch 1 with bigger ball or more weight & do the same. At the same speed both, bigger ball will push the smaller ball more.
    On badminton it also like that. When string hit the bird, both object will bounce back each other altering its energy. Lighter one will need more speed to push the bird while heavier gain more push from its weight momentum.

In simple, heavier racket give more push but require more arm power to swing.
    While light racket need more speed to equalize the push but as its light its easier to swing faster which makes u face timing issue.

SSSSNT likes this.
  5. pughon

pughon Regular Member

My Yonex Astrox 22

Attached Files:

SSSSNT likes this.
  6. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

:eek: How old was it? The stencil ink looks untouched.

7. pughon

pughon Regular Member

4 or 5 games. It clashed only once in the first game, not too strong (two blue chips).
    I am not a hard hitter.
    In last game, during smashes, I felt strange and when I looked at the frame, it started to bend :(

8. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

Sickening. Gutted for you.

9. pughon

pughon Regular Member

IMO, everyone has optimum racket head weight and whole weight.

I am a front player with not so strong arm, so I am fond of light weight rackets. I am a little good at back hand net kill and over net block but I can't do that with heavy rackets.

One more thing I noticed that, with head heavy racket, I used forearm muscles more, as I have little elbow pain. When I moved to light weight rackets, I used upper arm and shoulder muscles more.

Hope you can choose suitable racket. But make sure you have enough head weight for clears (or suitable string/tension)

#9 pughon, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    SSSSNT likes this.