Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

"I certainly believe the Earth is flat. " - What ??? I rest my case on this. Anyway, my analogy about Flat Earthers is to emphasize Loh's denialism. Excuse me, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. The Earth is Flat ???

As for your point about the kind marathoner who helped the sick during the race, at most we can say he has great sportsmanship,altruistic and suchlike, not great marathoner if he didn't win anything great, as simple as that. Don't confuse yourself. Would you call Lin Dan great for helping to attend to LCW who suffered severe leg cramp at the Guangzhou 2013 WC if he failed to capture a single (major) title ?

It's manifestly obvious you've not been following all his posts and arguments about Lin Dan, and mentioned only his last post that I took issue with. Otherwise, it would be outright clear to you what he is up to and driving at. No wonder you said my "statements against him are so rash and critical that you fail to see the mildness in his statements meaning no harm." You are too quick to pass judgement without being aware of the entire story that led to this latest spat (or are you aware?). By the way, I wasn't the only one 'guilty' of criticising him in that manner.

"Loh stated clearly in terms of Olympic medals "?- who on Earth measures GOAT on Olympic medals of any colour alone, and you buy that ? How many OG medals did Roger Federer won to be regarded as GOAT, ignoring all his Grand Slams ? Is this argument tenable?

Everybody knows full well Lin Dan is GOAT in MS badminton, who is talking about doubles players ? Isn't singles discipline widely considered the blue riband event in every sport? How do you compare singles with doubles in terms of achievement to determine who is the overall GOAT - is there even such a comparison ? Anybody cares to compare Roger Federer with any of the doubles greats? Exactly, singles and doubles ARE NOT EQUAL. Besides, one person's effort and two person's as a pair are not the same (yes, apples and oranges) or you might even want to go so far as to equate individual sports with team sports.

It's evident Loh has run out of ammunition to attack Lin Dan and used that measurement as a cop-out, that's why I simply ignore his qualification about Olympic medals, as if gold,silver and bronze all carry the same weight. In fact,I called his bluff, and you (maybe not) naively fell for it.

True, every age has its Great Players but we are talking about GOAT, that is Greatest of All Time, not any particular time in history. I've debunked Loh's interpretation before , not once but at least twice . Get the definition right, for goodness' sake. Even past greats like Xiong Guobao, just to name one, for example, openly acknowledged Lin Dan as The GOAT. Just as well, LCW , your one of the all-time greats, concurred when he declared "there is only one Lin Dan". Enough said.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    First and foremost, that "poster" has been too personal and tried to attack me indiscriminately at every opportunity. I don't need to engage myself with such an egoistic and unreasonable person.

I maintain again that the Greatest of ALL time will have to take into consideration players of the Past, Present and Future. And I think there were, and will be, great players of their time too, whether past or future. Such players of the past and even of the present are normally included in the BWF Hall of Fame. So LD does not have sole monopoly of that title. Before someone starts to cite the opinion of others, let it be known that this is my personal opinion only. I do not have to agree with others, even great players of the past who have lost to LD. Suffice to say that It's a pity that at his age now, LD, has been losing to unheralded players, even to Singapore's lowly-ranked LKY at the Thailand Masters in January this year:

"On Sunday (Jan 13), Singapore's Loh Kean Yew, world No. 125, claimed the biggest scalp of them all when he beat Chinese badminton legend and world No. 13 Lin Dan 21-19, 21-18 in a pulsating match that lasted 46 minutes."
    (https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...se-legend-lin-dan-to-claim-thai-masters-title)

And I also think that just winning medals does not make a player great. His behaviour, especially when he is playing in court should be taken into account. And here I feel LD is lacking for his ugly incidents as mentioned in my earlier post, particularly for physically striking his coach.

In this regard, LCW has gained my respect for his professional behaviour and sportsmanship, despite his unfortunate doping charge, which was officially stated by BWF that he had no intention to cheat. Just that he was administered an illegal drug at the wrong time.

Perhaps the most remarkable achievement about LCW is his consistency, which has been reported in Wikipedia as:

"As a singles player, Lee was ranked first worldwide for 349 weeks (more than 6 1/2 years), these including 199-week streak from 21 August 2008 to 14 June 2012."
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Chong_Wei)

May Datuk LCW enjoy a happy retirement with his family.

3. utufop

utufop Regular Member

I thought you understood my sarcasm regarding the flat Earth well. Anyway, about your "definition" of Greatest of All Time. You say that assuming no one will ever surpass Lin Dan's achievements. In that regard I am sure that you cannot predict the future if a junior will ever exceed Lin Dan's achievements. Before Lin Dan was even born, players like Han Jian, Liem Swie King, Morten Frost have already been winning titles. Surely someone back then wouldn't have called Lin Dan the greatest of all time? Similarly even ourselves(not sure about you) in the future might perhaps call Kento Momota the Greatest of All Time if he exceeds Lin Dan's achievements. You cannot deny the history and the possible future so don't talk about a definite term like Greatest of All Time without including a timestamp.

Secondly, I don't know why you feel that the achievements of a doubles player isn't on par with the achievements of a singles player. Both singles and doubles have their respective skillset challenges in badminton. By putting a singles player in doubles, he/she may not achieve the same success and vice versa. A singles player may have insane court coverage like both LD and LCW with their efficient footwork. However, when it comes to reaction speed which is key for the high paced doubles, I daresay a doubles player like Kevin Sanjaya outpaces them. So based on how a professional player effectively uses his/her unique advantageous skillsets in whichever event(MS,MD,WS,WD,XD) to achieve their best possible result, I daresay that a badminton doubles player's achievement is just as great as a badminton singles player's achievement.

Loh likes this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Point one, obviously , you still didn't get the meaning of all-time right, go check it up, or ask Loh to whom I've explained twice before.

Oops, I was wrong, Loh is still just as confused or insists on his own definition (not found in any dictionary) - all-time includes the future?

Point two, up to you, it's your personal opinion.

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

So only if people in the past said that 20 years later this player was the greatest, only then he will be crowned the "greatest off all time" 20 years later? I see. Makes a lot of sense.

6. utufop

utufop Regular Member

Can't really understand what you mean. To put it in simpler terms, what I simply meant in my previous post is that perhaps someone in the future might exceed what Lin Dan has achieved. In that regard will Lin Dan still be GOAT? No he won't. But at the moment, undeniably his achievements are nothing short of incredible and it will be miraculous if anyone ever exceeds that. But we cannot rule out this possibility because time goes on.

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

When that happens, that player will be the GOAT. What's the point of having " of all time" in the dictionary if we can never use it. LD became the GOAT because he has simply exceeded everyone else in terms of achievements and others, regardless his personality (to some people's preference), for now.

AlanY and j4ckie like this.
  8. utufop

utufop Regular Member

Yes this is what I mean. Thank you.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton Hall of Fame
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badminton_Hall_of_Fame

The Badminton Hall of Fame honors players who have shown exceptional skill at badminton, all-time great coaches and referees, and other major contributors to the game.

There is also a USA Badminton Hall of Fame[1] and a Badminton Canada's Hall of Fame.[2]

Membes
    The inaugural members 1996 were Colonel S S C Dolby Apd, Sir George Alan Thomas, Betty Uber and Herbert Scheele. From 1996 to 2009 60 persons were elected to the Badminton Hall of Fame.

Name Nationality Inducted in

S.S.C Dolby [​IMG] England 1996
    George Alan Thomas [​IMG] England 1996
    Betty Uber [​IMG] England 1996
    Herbert Scheele [​IMG] England 1996
    Tonny Ahm [​IMG] Denmark 1997
    Frank Devlin [​IMG] Ireland 1997
    David G. Freeman [​IMG] United States 1997
    Rudy Hartono Kurniawan [​IMG] Indonesia 1997
    Erland Kops [​IMG] Denmark 1997
    John McCallum [​IMG] Ireland 1997
    Stellan Mohlin [​IMG] Sweden 1997
    Ralph Nichols [​IMG] England 1997
    Craig Reedie [​IMG] Scotland 1997
    Eddy Choong [​IMG] Malaysia 1997
    Judy Hashman [​IMG] United States/[​IMG] England 1997
    **** Sudirman [​IMG] Indonesia 1997
    Finn Kobberø [​IMG] Denmark 1997
    David E. L. Choong [​IMG] Malaysia 1998

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @Loh

Please keep on topic.

trizzforce likes this.
  14. WhiteStringJunkie

WhiteStringJunkie Regular Member

There is a reason why I silenced some of these individuals on here.
    The ignorance of these people, though. Unbelievable.

15. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

#14337 ownz.uno, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
  17. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

He's actually the poster guy for Astrox 99 before his sickness :)

18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Technically he used a repainted one for the final tournament (I think).

Patrick Park Li likes this.