Adjustment from Double to Single

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Budi, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im double player & can said very rare to play single. The problem is my accuracy & precision shot is on the last line of double game. Going to single makes me losing many point coz my shot passing 1st line.

Its not that i would play single alot, but im thinking what to do if someone ask me to play single like today. I end up playing safe putting it to middle area only.

2. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

You already stated your own problem: accuracy and precision of shot.

In single game, you need to learn how to control your shot placement. You only need to make a shot difficult for your opponent to return. More importantly, you need stable footwork to deliver your control shots.

Practice high serve to the far end of single boundary will help to certain extent as well.

3. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

The progression is to learn singles and play it well before you even begin to learn doubles.

ralphz likes this.
  4. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

wow, to certain extent this statement is true assuming the OP has easy access to court space and have the time to re-learn his skills as single players.

However a lot of people were introduced to badminton starting with double game. It is not always possible to secure court space to play singles to start off with in a lot of communities. In additional, there is the cost component to have private dedicated single court to play and practice the fundamentals.

At the end of the day if you have infinite amount of time and money, hiring a coach and physical training can no doubt transition you to be a good single player.

ralphz likes this.
  5. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

I disagree with this. A lot of techniques simply don't transition well into doubles. Pacing, shot placement, footwork, positioning are quite different.

To answer OP, start with learning how to clear back court to back court with good technique, its the bare minimum for a singles games.

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I guess maybe there are two answers to this.. a)practise and b)calibration. Re practise, practise both if you want to play both. That practise may be done with somebody else or if need be then on your own self feeding and hitting the shuttle up the distance you want to hit it.

If you rarely play singles or rarely play doubles then you will likely struggle with the lines. 'cos a perfect shot in one is going to be out or a bit short in the other.

And re calibration, https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/calibrate You can use warm up shots to see if you need to hit it a bit further.. or a bit less. To calibrate. And even calibrate mid game. Adjusting if you see shots going out or short. If you are hitting it midcourt then you know you should hit it further, but not too far. This calibration can be done as you go.

7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I can tell you , that there is a lot more truth in that you should start with singles before starting with doubles.

I restarted badminton after an almost 30 years break. I want to concentrate on playing single, but I'm more or less forced to play a lot of doubles. Here is my opinion, why it is a bad idea to start with double:
    1. You play less shots, so you do not learn to even hit the shuttle and get it over the net as effectively as in singles.
    2. An experienced partner will fill in the gap, that is , you will not be aware that you are too slow.
    3. Footwork technique is by far more challenging in singles as in double where your partner just will in the gap and movement distances are often shorter.
    4. Singles will challenge your endurance more.
    5. Doubles are much faster, you will have a much harder time to catch up what is actually happening.
    6. Meta-game: doubles have some kind of meta game, that is formation and communication. As beginner you struggle to get to the shuttle and hit it over then net, yet you need to consider formation and need to communicate. Too much to learn at once.

For me as re-beginner, it would be much easier and better to actually learn badminton by playing singles and after getting the basics down, progress to play doubles and to learn the 'meta-game'.