Very inaccurate tension in Pro's Pro Challenger X

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by SugarRuy, Jul 23, 2019.

1. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

I bought a Pros Pro Challenger X stringing machine about 1 month ago. I was considering the choice between this one and Penta Premium Stringer 3600, but finally I bought this one.

I know it is a new model and might have some problems, but I never expected that it will have so much problems.

The first problem is its tension bar arrow. When I received this machine, the arrow sign to indicate the horizontal position is way off the position it supposes to be. That's not big deal, I just moved the sign sticker so it works.

The second one is the clamp base. It comes with two clamp bases. However, one of them is very tighten, but one of them is very very very loosen. When the first time I tried to string my racket with it, the loosen one didn't work at all even I locked it. So, I found there is some loosen screws below it, and I just tighten it and it works. Again, not a big deal.

Last but not least, the tension is very very very inaccurate. I played with 24-26 or 25-27(Yonex 2 strings 4 knots) string. But at the last two times, I both put 25 27 on my racket but the result is only about 20 lbs. Today, after a calibration using a luggage weight scale, I used the 14.5kg on the main and 16kg on the cross. Finally, I got a 24 lbs tension string! If I am not too bad in math, the tension is supposed to be 32 - 35 lbs, which is a crazy tension for me!

It has another problems not influencing the tension, so I don't write them down because it is too long to write. I am really really really regret about my decision:(

Do you have the similar experience in the Pro's Pro machine?

2. Badtech

Badtech New Member

Pro´s Pro are the cheapes machines on the market and has the lowest available Quality. So what do you expect??

3. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    What machine did you use before?
    Pros pro are maybe not the best quality but you can make them work with some effort.

If the luggage scale shows that you set the weight to your desired tension it means your loosing tension while stringing.
    There could be million reasons for this, especially if your new to stringing.
    Slipping clamps, clamp bases, string gripper or flaws in the stringing procedure for example.
    I'd suggest to start with some test pulling without a racket and watch for slipping string or moving clamps.

4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Penta 3600 had been a solid choice without trouble. Sorry for your bad experience with Pro's Pro, but they are the brother of Eagnas. I would return it, asap and get your money back. Otherwise let them fix all issues and sell it. You will never get happy with a Pro's Pro.

5. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

What I expected is only that it can work... But it didn't work at all if I didn't repair it even it was new.

6. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

Thanks. This is my first machine. I am new to stringing, but I am not complaining the tension I put in my rackets. I am just talking about the bad quality of my Pro's pro machine...

I adjusted it so there is no moving clamps and slipping string. And just now, I calibrate it again so I I know that there is about 30% deviation. By setting 16KG, I only get about 28.0lbs.

I made a lot of efforts, and finally it works...

BTW, do you think it is worth to upgrade it with a 2086 head?

7. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

There are other problems I met when the machine was new:
    1. The whole racket base is too hard to rotate. I forced to rotate on it and it gave me some metal pieces... I found that it is because of no oil. I used WD-40 and repaired it.
    2. The screw fixing the ratchet was loosen when I used it... Just using my auto repairing tools to fix it.
    3. One of the two auto unlocked clamp base doesn't work. The another one will be unlocked once the clamp touch the base, but the bad one requires me putting force on it...
    4. The string gripper is often slipping for no reason...

It is like a collection for mechanism problems... I learn a lot by fixing it.

8. endFX

endFX Regular Member

Badminton tryhard
    Get rid of the ratchet. It is annoying and causing inconsistency because in some cases it prevents the tensioner from moving freely. You can see the bar drop (or raise) when you release it.

I also wouldn't trust the scale on the bar and always calibrate tension with a luggage scale.

If the string is not slipping then check the mounting of the racket. Does the racket move to the side when tensioning or releasing the string?
    The pros pro side supports/arms are pretty bad for badminton.

How do you measure the tension on the racket after stringing?
    Maybe the stringer who did your rackets before produced higher tensions then intended. Or he used pre-stretch. Maybe you just need some more time to get used to stringing. My first string jobs felt pretty loose too.
    All this can make a difference in feel of the tension but honestly the difference between 14,5/16kg set and 24lbs as result is huge.

On a sidenote it is always the same with stuff from China. It mostly looks good on paper and on the outside but it is lacking the needed quality at all important parts.
    (I'm talking about the real cheap stuff. I'm aware that they also can produce premium products).

After all if you found the setup that gets you proper results your good to go. I personally would investigate further and see if there are ways to improve it.

SnowWhite and flyingcords like this.
  9. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I agree. This ratchet is a no no. Just disable it.

10. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

I will check the mounting next time but I think it's okay so far.

I measure the tension by both APP(RacketMeter) and my own feeling. In the before, I usually went to a store which uses a high end electric machine, so I am pretty familiar with the feeling. :D

I calibrated the tension with a luggage scale. For my machine, 14kg is about 24lbs, 15kg is about 26lbs, 16kg is about 28lbs. My calibration is not very accurate but I think it should work. Last night, I stringed a 15kg/16kg in my racket with LN 2 knots pattern. The result is pretty good for a 26lbs string!

I am still learning to string. Thanks for your advise.

11. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

I want to do that but couldn't find a way to disable it. The best I can do is replacing it with a 2086 head.:(

It is appreciated if you could give me instruction about it...

12. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

If you string 16kg and get 28lbs out, just make your own new scale. The weight just seems to be a bit too light.

Of course that's not nice, but it's not a big problem for correct stringing.

13. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

To disable the rachet you can push it down and it should stay there. Tbh I don't think the rachet is your problem and it just sounds like the calibration on the original scales are off.

You sort of made it sound like you was pulling 16kg (actual) and was only getting 11kg in the finished string job.

Also another argument that the rachet doesn't really matter, if the tensioner bar is not perfectly straight it doesn't affect the tension pulled that much. Yes it's off, but it's quite small. You can probably test this yourself with the luggage scales. There was a whole physics thread on angles and tension pulled using drop weight which sort of explained it (theoretically).

Sent from my MI 8 using Tapatalk

14. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

Okay. I am back to report some updates of my machine.

1. The tension is good right now. I disassembled the Tension Bar Drum and the Ratchet System with clutch using wrenchs and assembled then again. Then they became loose which enables that the drum rotates freely without the ratchet. It was caused by the incorrect torque of the bolts when assembling it in factory (I guess).

What it was: The drum was hard to rotate using hands force. The tension was way off(set 16kg to get 28lbs).

2. One Clamp Base was adjusted by a 3mm allen key using method in https://www.pros-pro.com/media/wysiwyg/PDF/anleitungen/EN_Challenger.pdf . Now it is good.

What it was: One of the clamp bases could not move when unlocked when the two bolts under it were tightened. The another one is good under the same setting. I also think it was caused by the inconsistent torque of bolts when assembling it.

3. The Liner String Gripper is pretty slipery. It can not hold strings at the most of time. Not solved now.

Temporary solution: Inserting a folded, small piece of paper between the gripper, and making sure to put strings on paper. So that, the strings could grip with paper and paper can grip with gripper's metal and no slip exists. What paper I am using? I am using the chewing gum wrappers from my favorite Juicy Fruit gum.;)

Conclusion: If you want to learn a lot of mechinal knowledge and have lots of tools, you can buy it. Otherwise, DO NOT buy the product if you just want to do stringing:mad:. Thankfully, my seller is pretty nice to help me resolve all the issues:cool:. I am still waiting the seller's response of the slipery gripper.

BTW, I am still a newbie... Didn't string any rackets from Nov 2019 until yesterday. I am restarting.

kwun likes this.
  15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Is there some sort of limiter on the gripper movement? My WISE came with a grub screw that stopped the grippers from closing all the way, so I just took it out.

16. SugarRuy

SugarRuy New Member

Hi Mark,

TBH, I am not too sure about it. I also disassembled the gripper and tried to find out.

There are 3 bolts related to the gripper.

One of them is on the drum to control the distance between the gripper and the drum. It is to make sure the gripper not touching the drum. I adjusted it but the slipping still exists.

The other two are on the gripper to hold the gripper parts together. I would say that they do nothing with the adjustment. But I still unscrewed them and then I disassembled and assembled the gripper. It turns out that I just wasted some time and did nothing.

Just wondering, how long (in minutes) do you need to finish a racket with the wise 2086? Will 2086 save much stringing time comparing the drop weight? Thanks.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you should save at least 15 min using a WISE vs drop weight.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A WISE will be at least 10 mins faster than a dropweight if you use the fastest speed setting.