Daihatsu Yonex JAPAN Open 2019 : Round of 32 to FINAL (23-28 July)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You sure he even reached 16? lol

2. wade

wade Regular Member

We need more umpires like him :cool:

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

There are many actually and they are doing okay. The problem is usually that the umpires can't be heard at all with all the noises.
    Now that I am watching the replays, the umpires voice is loud and clear but when I was in the arena many times I couldn't even hear what the umpire was saying.

4. Martynas

Martynas Regular Member

if there would be much much more umpires like today then it would have not matter, funny thing if not good umpering which lead Kevin to concentrate just on the play instead of making some freaks show, they could have lost and 3rd game :D

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Why are 2 MDs scheduled as the last two matches even though one of them is JPN?

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good you pointed this out. I thought it's the tournament organizer's prerogative, don't think there's BWF guideline for it. I'm for fairness because only TV court 1 has Hawk-eye IRS.

7. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

People are quick to make excuses for him, but fact of the matter is that he's 22 and never did anything of note outside Istora. And the final last week was due in large part to a rather ridiculous draw.

8. minions

minions Regular Member

I won't call it "ridiculous" draw. It's just that he was "blessed" after some of the seeded players knocked out early and unfortunately, one of them is injured.

9. super-g

super-g Regular Member

He has beaten Axelsen outside of Istora and he was leading against Shi Yuqi last week. In my opinion Antonsen's best level is already at top-5 but he makes too many unforced errors.

10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I admit that I think Antonsen is good, at least he is DEN number 2, but the lead against SYQ was something like 7-6 in G1 and then SYQ retires injured so no conclusion can be made from that match according to me.

skhai91 and Justin L like this.
  11. minions

minions Regular Member

Country representatives in SF

6 - JPN
    5 - INA
    4 - CHN
    1 - IND, DEN, KOR, CAN, MAS

12. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I know he's not Indian.

I'd be gentle; hell, even not bother him if he didn't step on my lawn.

That post quality of his totally puts all tournament directors to shame and with the censorship on his signature, it reeks of smugness trying to tell the world he's something/somebody but being scared of being identified. Then what for tell the world? Shove it up his where the sun don't shine, and do the damn job! We don't need to know what he's in charge of!

And looking at his quoted reply with FOUR emojis, shows how much of a peabrain he is when it comes to actually conversing. Instead of an apology of sorts it becomes a troll comment. Be gentle? Hah!

For such a grown man to type this childishly, beyond comprehension.

13. Cunning Linguist

:confused::eek::D:D

esppy and Saru like this.
  14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Daihatsu Yonex Japan Open Day 4 Quarterfinal, 26/07/2019

Today was rather humid and it actually is raining pretty heavily the evening though it was hot and sunny in the afternoon. I guess Monsoon season is not over just yet.

Another day, another seat location but the same late arrival:D I might actually need to get there earlier tomorrow to secure myself a good seat as my tickets tomorrow will not guarantee me a good one. I got seated on the designated reserved area of the third floor between Court 2 and Court 1. Nice overall view to all courts.
    IMG_4143.JPG IMG_4137.JPG IMG_4138.JPG

As for the matches, I guess we all know how most of them turned out to be. Upsets have been created here and the biggest one of all for me personally was XD when Faizal/Widjaja defeated Zheng/Huang. They had a good start in G1 giving all their had and their best. Gloria for the first time I had ever seen her very active at the net and actually making her presence felt. Her height as the tallest player on court can no longer be dismissed even by the WR1. Another day in the office for both pairs coming in G2. Thought it was not going to be for the INA, but they proved me wrong as they were just as assertive and solid in their defense too. What a good day for Faizal/Widjaja.

On the other hand, the other top seeded CHN XD pair went straight to SF in 2 games. Without any difficulty, Wang/Huang took G1 as expected. In G2 Wang was obviously struggling and could not regain his good form as the GER slowly but persistently getting control of the game, but in the end Huang found her way at the front and the Chinese managed to scrape away with only 3 points lead. I hope it is not his injured back troubling him because Chan/Goh is not an easy opponent to face if he is not at his best.

The seeded THA pair was rather meek today and without Puava playing his best today, that left Jordan as the man of the match. Jordan/Oktav had it quite easily to win the match in straight games to set up an all INA XD semifinal tomorrow.

Tommy could not do much against Sai who had never been anything like "lazy" throughout the match in contrast of what I have heard a lot about him lol. Good coverage of the court, and more importantly he seems to know when and how to attack efficiently. Tommy was hardly seen going in on an attack that often.

CYF vs BO : A bit sluggish of CYF to my liking and it showed in the scoreline of the first two games. BO was on the other hand playing really well, but could no longer keep up in G3 when CYF finally gain her usual winning game.

Matsu/Naga vs Matsu/Shida : Tight first game but the key was probably in the mindset. Whoever made the less mistakes and had the courage to be bold, they would proceed further. I have not watched many of Matsu/Shida matches but I feel that they are not ready to join the top 10 just yet.

Li/Liu again prevailed over Endo/Wata. I was kinda of busy watching the other MD match on court 2 (on the other end of the arena) to pay much attention to G1 but what I could hear and tell from the local spectators reaction, it was really tight and intense. However, nothing of such repeated in G2 or G3. All went lopsided with the CHN dominating the whole matches with their attacking or with hitting the shuttles in downward directions. Endo/Wata could not get out of the pressure nor showed any effort to take control of the rally either. Because when they actually went on offense especially with Endo attacking from the back and Watanabe at the front intercepting, they had a higher chance to win the rally than just defending and hoping Li/Liu made a mistake which of course Li made from time to time. I suspect Endo might ran out of gas after the intensity of G1 but so was Li actually. I suppose Liu was a much better front player than .. Endo? ..Watanabe?

On the other side of the arena, a great match between former WC Ahsan/Hendra and Ko/Shin. Quite a shame it was not on court 1. Much better quality than that of Kamura/Sonoda vs Rankireddy/Shetty in my opinion.

Last but not the least of (my) day, minions vs Chia/Soh. One entertaining match it has been. It is really hard to tell whether I was happy or upset with the rubber sets. One part of me was happy to have all the exciting exhibition show and minions victory, but the other part of me was kind of upset with how it ended up one game too many:rolleyes:. Should have been a straight two games with minions at the top of their game. Instead, all the arena was treated to a full entertaining display by Kevin showing off his extraordinary and unorthodox play (and not to forget, attitude:D:p).

I am praying for a peaceful match tomorrow between minions vs Li/Liu. Amen.

nilesh123, ebcd, RoarRa and 5 others like this.
  15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

SEMIFINAL | 10.00am => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...9735B1-3F77-4524-854E-9B06E10D1527&d=20190727
    • Kento Momota-Anthony Ginting "MomoGi" showdown presents fascinating and impressive exhibition by both players who have similar style of play, the Japanese had chance to complete the match into two straight-games instead dragging into rubber games. In deciding game, the Indonesian still delivering pressure and bringing world champion into tight game, but Momota has forte to keep focus at crucial stages and he did well to pull off, 21-15 in 89 minutes battle. Defending champion will take on tricky Indian test Sai Praneeth who beat Tommy Sugiarto convincingly, 21-12 / 21-15. Head to head stats between these two semifinalists hang on the balance, 2-2. Strong contender Jonatan Christie outplays the below par Anders Antonsen who performs out of expectation, being error-proned and sluggish, very contrast feat with last week INA Open. Christie is favoured to book final ticket against the surprising Danish veteran Jan O Jorgensen.
    • The underdog Michelle Li stuns clear favourite world number one Tai Tzu Ying in very close games, the Canadian could balance her opponent high quality shots with amazing effort to retrieve and anticipate shuttlecock from corner to corner as the Taiwanese quite frustrating how to handle the circumstances. Li will meet another notable foe, Nozomi Okuhara who's pushed into the limit by Nitchaon Jindapol to display stunning showcase with her well-improved cross court net shots and excellent placement that trouble Okuhara. A rematch of Sudirman Cup final will set up Akane Yamaguchi versus Chen Yufei , the former once again beat Pusarla Sindhu in similar fashion meawhile Chen eliminates Busanan Ongbanrungphan in three games.
    • Indonesian hotshots Gideon/Sukamuljo and Ahsan/Setiawan keep the winning momentum until semifinal, the Minions will up against familiar opponents Li JH/Liu YC, interesting to wait how the Chinese pair respond this time after crushing defeat last week. The All England champs have local favourites Kamura/Sonoda who don't play at their best so far, the Indonesian veterans play tiring matches in last two rounds and likely another tough contest tomorrow.
    • China promising hopefuls, Li WM/Zheng Yu shock current top-ranked Fukushima/Hirota who have not enough time to analyse the Chinese gameplan with their relentless sharp attacking shots and fast interception, 21-16 / 21-14. Li/Zheng will face Korean combination Kim SY/Kong HY, the winner of this tie facing Japanese prominent pair on finale, either Matsumoto/Nagahara or Matsutomo/Takahashi.
    • A very huge upset for mixed doubles when Faizal/Widjaja found the answer to edge past the mighty duo Zheng/Huang, 21-17 / 15-21 / 21-19. Apparently the Chinese didn't perform as solid as they used to, especially Zheng Si Wei. Contrary with the Indonesians who demontrates outstanding form, their defense and counter attack really suprising the Chinese. All INA semifinals as Jordan/Oktavianti also prevail against more fancied rivals Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai. A heavy burden relies on Wang/Huang to keep China chance alive, they will face Chan PS/Goh LY, a rerun of INA open semifinal.
    LIVE TV COVERAGE
    upload_2019-7-26_19-29-21.png

#715 CLELY, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  16. Cunning Linguist

Hold your horses! You're not suggesting that CYF wins on stamina on a regular basis, are you? Heresy! I firmly belive he's won 6 out of 8 three game matches against Intanon because he's more talented! :D

Ah, don't worry. They won't besmirch the top ten with their non-readiness anytime soon. B team members don't get to go to the big tournaments, don't get to accumulate experience against the best and, of course, also don't get to rack up the big points. They're about to stay where they are (or drop), even though they're better than Tanayone, Stoevas, and the Thai pair, which makes them kind of ready to be perfectly honest.

kurako likes this.
  17. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    Missed the Minions match live today and just now finished watching the full natch again in Hotstar. Some ridiculous shots in front of the court by Kevin. Truly an alien from Area 51

Play hard. Train harder.

wade and Baddie lover like this.
  18. minions

minions Regular Member

It's Oktavianti. Debby Susanto has retired. :)

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Of course your belief was wrong, because CYF is a she, not a he:D:D :p

Haha well I am not sure about their skill as you probably know about it much better than I do. I was thinking about how they lost the G1, 3 out of 4 rallies were their own mistakes and indecisiveness at critical time. Matsu/Naga (this time) were bolder and kind of more ruthless in their approach compared to Matsu/Shida when it mattered.

20. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Hopefully not an all Indonesia MD final again... Too short of a match I fear again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.