Daihatsu Yonex JAPAN Open 2019 : Round of 32 to FINAL (23-28 July)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Can Kevin/Gideon repeat RickyRexy Heroic JapanOpen Hattrick.. 1995-1997.

2. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

Just watched it again, I think in this case you can hear the umpire called out li? Li was saying something to Kevin and Kevin just responded... I know Kevin does unnecessary gestures sometimes, but this time it was provoked

Yoji likes this.
  3. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

4. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

I dont understand why li/liu tries to provoke Kevin?? Would be better if they play a calm game.. And don't let Kevin be on fire..

5. minions

minions Regular Member

Player representatives in Final

4 - JPN, INA
    1 - CHN, KOR

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

:eek::eek:
    You're right.
    JPN has WS, INA has MD.
    Interestingly in MS it will be INA vs JPN.

7. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

What do you mean by provoke kevin ? I don't see li/liu doing anything honestly.

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's just in their nature. They do it to everyone.

9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's a shame Steen wasn't there during minions matches.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

WS : I think judging by their performances so far in this tournament, Yamaguchi will take the title.
    WD : Kim/Kong has been pretty strong and solid all the way, Matsu/Naga needs to not mess up for them to win.
    MS : Momota has slight advantage over Christie.
    XD: Wang/Huang and Wang/Huang only:D
    MD : All depends on the players form tomorrow. Usually against Ahsan/Hendra, Kevin never lets his guard down. But we'll see. Personally I hope minions win and defend their title.

11. mart333

mart333 Regular Member

Read my previous post? And watch the match again. You can see that Kevin put his hands on his ears then the camera pan out to li shouting something. The umpire also called out his name to warn him. As tv viewer I don't know which one happen first.. Li shouting or Kevin put his hands on ear? Anyone can interpret it either way. Points before that shows that they are also shouting while hitting and giving smirks..
    Again what actually happen on court, only the players and umpire knows..we can only see and guess

twawawau likes this.
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

the way I see it is Li annoyed with Kevin acrobatic shot Point 12, then Li shouts and Kevin smirks, Kevin get the next point like he always do and gets the last laugh.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Aaah, now I finally see what everyone was talking about. Just watched the video on Youtube. No wonder I didn't see it happened because it was off court and we couldn't see it if not for the camera close up.

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINAL (11.30am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...9735B1-3F77-4524-854E-9B06E10D1527&d=20190728

upload_2019-7-27_18-22-2.png

THE UNSTOPPABLE AKANE

World number two Akane Yamaguchi has buried heartbreaking defeat in Sudirman Cup to score back to back final in BWF top-tier Tour, she knocks out Chen Yu Fei convincingly, 21-15 / 21-15. The Chinese looks struggling along the match, lack accuracy, reckless netshot, poor defense, overall is no match to balance her opponent excellent and steady condition. Yamaguchi will face arch rival Nozomi Okuhara, despite negative head to heads stats, the younger Japanese is favoured to reclaim her 2013 title considering the modest performance by Okuhara who halts inspiring Michelle Li, 21-12 / 21-18. The Canadian refused to give up in second game instead maintain her resistance to follow long rallies and pushing Okuhara into the baseline then moving forward to front area to kill the shuttlecock.

THE DANGEROUS CHALLENGERS
    World Champions Matsumoto/Nagahara should be extra alert to Kim/Kong combination, known with fast furious attacking style who surprise Japanese WD squad frequently. The Koreans beating their last two opponents easily including established pair Polii/Rahayu also Chen QC/Jia YF at previous round. The giant-killers Li WM/Zheng Y can't repeat their stellar feat to stem Korean formula, 16-21 / 11-21. MatsuNaga edge past the Olympic Champions Matsutomo/Takahashi, interesting part happened in second game when TakaMatsu closed the gap, 9-18 trailing behind to 19-21, what a great comeback despite fail at the end.

A DECENT FINAL
    It may not be a dream final based on seeding position but offering exciting duel to watch between reigning World Champion, All England, Japan Open and World number one Kento Momota versus Asian Games Champion Jonatan Christie. The Japanese ace is favoured to extend his title but Christie produced sterling display to knock out Momota in Kuala Lumpur last April that might be repeated again tomorrow. Momota gets tough time to down Sai Praneeth in opening game then the Indian losing patience and starting to make a string of unforced errors in second game. Christie bombards Jan O Jorgensen with hard smashes, the Danish veteran practically couldn't do too much with a predictable ending.

CHINA LONE RANGERS
    Mixed doubles crown always belong to China in BWF major tournaments, the overwhelming favourites Zheng/Huang crashed out for the first time in quarterfinal here but China still has Wang/Huang as last hopeful to avoid titleless in this Summer OG venue. The world number two seems extra motivated and energized, very sharp with super speed how they handle opponents en route to final, destroying Rio OG silver medalists Chan/Goh, 21-10 / 21-6 at semis. In all INA semifinal affairs Jordan/Oktavianti beat Faizal/Widjaja, unfortunately for the latter after their sensational win over world champion couldn't maintain consistency. Against all odds for Indonesians to break the jinx, creating maiden victory in their sixth attempt.

INDONESIANS PART 2
    The repetitive saga between two prominent pairs occurs in Tokyo to affirm Indonesia hegemony in men's doubles category, a major boost for the imminent Basel world meet. Gideon/Sukamuljo have more complexion semifinal contest to tame Li JH/Liu YC whom they beat easily last week at home soil, this time Chinese twin towers applying different strategy at the opening game with aggressive mood but the Minions bounce back swiftly in second game and third game despite the World Champions trying to fight back, some easy mistakes by the Chinese at crucial stages avoid them to enter final round, 21-16 / 11-21 / 18-21. Ahsan/Setiawan experience relatively comfortable atmosphere to eliminate the off-form Kamura/Sonoda, 22-20 / 21-10. A hat-trick mission for Minions to emulate their predecessor legendary pair Ricky/Rexy (1995-1997).

15. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

anyways i think king of errors PraMel gonna be extending their runner-up records tomorrow....

16. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Daihatsu Yonex Japan Open Day 5 Semifinal, 27/07/2019

Again and again I was not able to get there earlier than I planned. Problematic start of the day and started off a bit later than 10 to the Arena. When I got there the queue had emptied out, but when I entered inside? It was almost full.. could only get myself a seat at the furthest side of the arena away from Court 1. Actually I could see the backstage from where I sat down, so not too bad (let's try to see things from the bright side for once) :p I could peek and got a glimpse of players face and their warming up before coming out of the stage. Can you guess who they are? :D
    IMG_4184.JPG IMG_4163.JPG IMG_4192.JPG IMG_4208.JPG IMG_4232.JPG

Semifinal day started quite according to script. All went quite slow for me personally. So I took some time to walk around the hall.
    There are some booths or spots where you can take a picture with real size stands and no surprise that all of them were the Japanese players. You could line up and the staff will help you taking the picture of you surrounded by your favorite players and feeling like you are in the team with them.
    IMG_4239.JPG

Another photo spot is the poster of Team Japan with an over-sized racket for you to hold:)
    IMG_4240.JPG

Further inside you will find the stringer machine, strings, shoes, rackets and shoes display.
    IMG_4241.JPG

And when you thought you have seen everything, there are two little men glaring at you with a racket each in their hand asking you for a fight:D:D
    IMG_4188.JPG

Many other more stuff to see and do there I supposed but unfortunately I did not stop at every one of them. There was some "lucky draw" for some lucky people but I do not know what the prize are. If you are lucky enough (no idea how to enter and it was closed anyway) with the draw you could attend to a meet and greet with the players. It was empty the time I saw it but it was written at the top stand that the star players would have been Fukushima and Higashino.

Nothing much to say about the matches. The only things that certain were that Yamaguchi was in excellent form and also Kim/Kong was really feisty and strong (including their screams).

Match of the day is no other but Marcus/Kevin vs Li/Liu. What a fantastic match to close the otherwise just another day.

All the best to the finalists tomorrow.

ebcd, KRRacing, samkool and 1 other person like this.
  17. Biglever

Biglever Regular Member

Engineer
    Depends on the viewer's point. If you are a fan he looks cool and flamboyant. For others he looks like a wanker.

Play hard. Train harder.

18. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes, and Li/Liu could look like two little adorable kittens too. Very lovable.

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well, today it looked like Li that intimidated Kevin. He doesnt look like in good mood thinking he will romp home after 7-3 lead in G2.

Kevin did what Kevin did to win match while Li just wants to win over Kevin, imo.

twawawau likes this.
  20. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

On Kevin's antic, haters gonna hate. This is not some moral education show, its sport.

I watched the match again, at G3 9-12 point when Li smashed and KevMarcus failed to defense, Li ran near to net and shouted, which provoked Kevin caused Kevin response with a smile instead acknowledging Li's shout. and Li couldnt helped but smile too before serve at 10-12

From what i saw with my own eyes when attending SG open in April, Li shout was loud and annoying too, for real.

#920 twawawau, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.