Shuttle dragging service fault

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Karlos, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Karlos

Karlos Regular Member

Hello!

We played some doubles with our new friends this monday and we stumbled upon a disagreement - one of them warned my partner, that her service might not work with other players (would be called a fault, but he didn't mind). He said that she is "dragging" the shuttle a little bit forwards just before hitting it with the racket - to explain it better, in the serve motion she moves the shuttle a little bit more in front of her and they said that it is not allowed to "drag" the shuttle this way. I said that I don't know of any rule that would said that this would be a fault (I know the rules quite well, or at least I hope so), but then again they were ~50yo players and I have been playing only for a year and a half, so how could I know more right? :)

So I wanted to know for sure, because I am quite certain that when I watch pro players serve, they often drag the shuttle this way (for example when they flick serve, they often move the shuttle a little bit upwards during the serve motion).

Only way I can think of this being a fault would be if the shuttle was on the string bed all the time during the drag? Like if you literally drag the shuttle with the racket head (but that was not the case, I cannot imagine serving that way - no control)

Thanks!

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Not a fault.

Look at how some people do forehand high serves in singles. The shuttle can get thrown forwards for those.

stradrider likes this.
  3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

There are no rules regarding the shuttle hand during the service.

You can ask the players to show you that rule, or at least mention the number. I used to bring a small booklet with printed rules for that reason. Nowadays, it should not be hard to find a smartphone or other electronic device, on which you can simple access the official badminton laws from anywhere in the world.

4. Carbonex_7

Carbonex_7 Regular Member

I have played with a player who move the shuttle in a circle, no movement of the racket only the shuttle is moving, before serve, so intimidating but I think it is legal.

5. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Will it be possible to post the said serve action(s)? -- the drag, and the circle.
    It would greatly help everyone, not only to highlight the action, but also cross reference it with the appropriate laws.