Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    I dont think hawk eye for net faults would be necessary, it could be resolved by video evidence which a person like third umpire could refer to and give his decision, and I don't think setting up another umpire for a match would cost much(in comparison to the application of the tech) . As for any disputes the final decision would rest on the third umpire. I think players would accept the decisions that are correct(they would also be having their look on the video evidence simultaneously).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2. mohans

mohans Regular Member

English teachers may use this sentence for a classical example of contradiction.

Btw, thanks for the 4K image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baddie lover likes this.
  3. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I think you should watch the highlights of that match again. Anyways, let's move on and enjoy tomorrow's finals.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Maybe you should take a look at the rules. You can only contact the shuttle once it's on your side, you're not allowed to block or otherwise influence it on your opponent's side. Your own comment is a contradiction in itself - if the shuttle was never going over, he couldn't have killed it legally.
    Personally I'd lean on the attacker's side of things here, generally speaking, and I think that's usually how umpires go about it too - you want to punish blatant faults, not disincentivize attacking play.
    In this particular case it looks illegal from the picture, and your description is definitely that of an illegal kill.

Baddie lover likes this.
  5. skhai91

skhai91 Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, with SYQ out of the picture from an injury (hope he gets well soon) and CL's currently horrible form, all of a sudden LD's Tokyo OG qualification quest suddenly seem so possible.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

buibui2 likes this.
  6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Indeed. LD himself has to take all precaution to keep himself in good form, injury free and illness free.

7. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

What if Lu Guangzu ends up being picked up again over him :D:D

8. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

With ranking lower than LD? I'll make sure Zhang Jun will never set his finger on BK anymore lol

#11968 yuquall, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Very poor result from LD failing to defeat Jorgensen in round 1

buibui2 likes this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Yeah, it seems that he was too flattered by his 12-6 lead in the decider that it resulted in shocking collapse of form.

I had LD 70-30 against this version of Jorgensen before the match but LD proved once again that he simply isn't good enough at this stage of his career.

Very poor performance.

11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

At last it's the time of the year. After that "shocking" Round 1 exit last week in Japan Open to JOJ, I wonder if LD had enough preparation for WC. Not going to expect that much, but I hope he could make it to SF at least :D:D:p

12. minions

minions Regular Member

Well,he has to get past KM for that.

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yupe, that's what I meant;)

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't forget, for the WC, the MS have to play six matches in as many days, not the usual five as in all the other championships.

Does Lin Dan have the stamina for it? In the 2017 Glasgow WC, Lin Dan was more or less a spent force in the final versus Axelsen. At that time, Lin Dan was two months shy of age 34. Now, at Basel, he is nearing 36, the grand old daddy of badminton, the oldest candidate in the tournament.

I mean, Father Time spares no one. Besides, the old hand and living legend is slated to meet the WR1 and reigning world champion, Momota, in the 3rd round, even if he succeeds in clearing the first two hurdles, namely, Nguyen Tien Minh, no pushover, in R1 and , probably, Prannoy in R2.

Clearly, the odds are against Lin Dan , he certainly has his work cut out for him just trying to make it to the quarterfinals. While I've no doubt about his motivation, unmatched experience, consummate technical skills knowledge, understanding and anticipation ability but, undeniably, his 'advanced age' in badminton terms and accompanying,much weakened physical condition doesn't bode well for him.

That said, Lin Dan being Lin Dan, and if his totally unexpected capturing of the MAS Open this April is any indication, I won't entirely rule out the possibility of his causing any upsets along the way but, still, I simply can't imagine him winning the title - it is a long shot, wishful thinking, admittedly.

Realistically and biologically speaking, Lin Dan at his current age has declined about 10 per cent both in strength/power and in stamina/endurance as compared with what he was before when he turned 30 or thereabouts.

At most, I would only say, it's not impossible but highly improbable for him to medal at Basel. We, Lin Dan's fans, can only dream and wish him the very best. Mind over matter ? JiaYou !

15. Pagz

Pagz Regular Member

He isn't the oldest candidate by a long shot. Not even in MS, where his first round opponent, Nguyen Tien Minh, is 8 months older than him (and arguably fitter).

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OK, I stand corrected, NTM is older by a few months, not by much. So what, both are over the hill, at 35 and 36 , any significant difference as far as the rest of the younger contenders are concerned?

Frankly, I'm not sure if NTM is arguably fitter, not that it matters as almost nobody gives both oldies more than an outside chance of progressing beyond the early rounds, even though between them, Lin Dan, at least, has the MAS Open S750 title to show for this year. Their age difference is, to me, cold comfort.

That aside, if either of them can cause a huge upset getting past Momota, I'd be the first to jump for joy. Dream on.

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

NTM couldn't have won vs Momota in his prime, let alone now. I'll guess LD can win it comfortably - NTM's style should fit his current play style perfectly (pure retrieving, no attacking danger whatsoever)

Justin L likes this.
  18. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Another BWF Lin Dan profile. Good watch ;).

buibui2, GingerCorslette and Justin L like this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's over for Lin Dan, not just for the Basel WC but, I'd go so far as to say, for the Tokyo OG and the remainder of his playing career as well, whatever his well-intentioned legacy (which is no longer about winning titles).

I mean, if that is Lin Dan's best form at the world championships, how much better can we expect him to be at the Olympics, given his age? Granted the quadrennial Olympics is even more prestigious than the annual world champs, the two major events aren't far apart in status for the professional athletes, as such we have every reason to expect Lin Dan to prepare himself well and do better than a second round finish instead of losing to an opponent who is not counted among the favourites,or who's neither a hotshot nor an up-and-comer in fine form.

I repeat what I've said before, every aspect of Lin Dan's current game is down about 10 percent, significantly his speed and power; the only thing he's gained is deeper knowledge, greater experience and better anticipation but, still, without the requisite strength/power and stamina/endurance, that is, minus the essential physicality, he is just not able to translate his remarkable technical skills into winners as often as needed. That is a serious drawback for badminton at the highest level, no two ways about it.

To quote Morten Frost's words, said yesterday in the Lin Dan vs Nguyen Tien Minh match in response to Gill Clark's comments on Lin Dan's many early exits and in reference to the one she watched him played and lost at the Japan Masters - yes, Lin Dan was often let down by his fitness or lack thereof but never ever by his skills. I fully agree and that sums up Lin Dan's form in recent years and , for sure, going forward.

Personally, I'd rather Lin Dan not go to Tokyo 2020 and have Chen Long or even Lu Guangzu get a crack at the Olympics, in addition to Shi Yuqi, of course. Since even if Lin Dan scrapes through for a ticket to Tokyo2020, he is realistically not going to be one of the podium finishers, esp when even bronze calls for a playoff, so why not give his fellow teammates a chance instead. After all, Lin Dan already has it all in abundance as far as badminton is concerned, and, not only that, his phenomenal records look safe for a few decades at least - nothing to prove, nothing to gain if he is just only going to appear at the Olympics for the fifth time but, very likely, without any medals this time. Whereas for either Chen Long , a better prospect, in my opinion, or Lu Guangzu, the latter in particular, it meant the world to them.

To put it another way, if Lin Dan's performance so far demonstrated an outside chance of medalling, I'd be the first to clamour for his journey to Tokyo but, as it is, I see no point for CBA to waste a precious opportunity for someone else to gain valuable experience on the world's highest stage and for the sake of national glory more than individual honour as well as for the future development of the sport in the nation. That's just my opinion.

#11979 Justin L, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    fnd80 likes this.
  20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Actually the chance to shine in Olympic Games is over when Lin couldn't get any medal in Rio 2016. He JUST wants to fulfill personal ambition to participate 5th Olympic Games (if qualified) but standing on podium at least clinching bronze medal, it's mission impossible considering his age and current performance.

The main problem for China MS is lacking of good young talents, red code alert for Thomas Cup campaign next year. CBA only hopes the dragon a.k.a. Chen Long will regain back his finest form as soon as possible. Lu Guang Zu, sorry to say have a feeling this guy can't develop more, typical Huang YX, Zhou ZQ, Zhao JP, etc. China needs smart & creative player instead of robotic style who always depending on strong physical fitness and endurance.

buibui2, Cheung, Saru and 2 others like this.