Is grunting, yelling and screaming during play considered not good for Badminton?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by chris-ccc, Jan 4, 2010.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well if you can do it within the limit of the rule, go ahead.
    Its a mind game. ;)
    Try to use funny grunts to put off your opponent if you really want to try it out... if you have voice like monica seles or sharapova, that will be good. ;)

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Tennis players who grunt during points might be getting an advantage over opponents

From what I see, some quiet players do get annoyed when playing against players who grunt. Therefore, these quiet players will begin losing concentration.

My question is; Should grunting be used in Badminton as one of the tactics to win a match?

If the answer is YES; then our future Badminton matches could evolve into noisy events in years to come.

3. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    NO.

Grunting durnig the play is simply banned by the BWF rules

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Grunting durnig the play is simply banned by the BWF

From the BWF Laws of Badminton, I could not find that grunting during play is banned.

Perhaps I have not received the latest issue of the BWF Laws of Badminton. The latest one that I have received was issued on 25-May-2010;
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14915

5. jagoholmes

jagoholmes New Member

personal trainer
    It's definitely off putting when you play against someone who does make a lot of noise during play, especially noisy doubles when you're lining up for smash and you hear one of your opponents shouting something to their partner. But hey I guess that part is just doubles Badminton.

Jago
    http://www.badmintontrainingtips.com

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

13.4.5 forbids you from deliberately distracting your opponent - its up to the umpire to decide when that is the case, although I've never seen one call a fault for grunting or screaming, or Nova Widianto would never have won a game :D

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's usually the partner being yelled at, who is in trouble

But in games of Doubles, players need to communicate with partners. :):):)

When you are lining up for a smash and you hear your opponent shouting to his/her partner, it is best to smash at the partner. It's usually the partner being yelled at, who is in trouble. ;););)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope to have for less grunting, yelling and screaming when we play Badminton

True. It's up to the umpire to decide if the grunting is used for deliberately distracting your opponent. It is why I created this thread. Go back to Post #1 and read the 2 links.

Personally, I hope to have for less grunting, yelling and screaming when we play Badminton.

9. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

Probably the real reason for grunting is the ooomph one gets (maybe a 5% power surge).

However, I honestly think it is more applicable to tennis than badminton.

I thought tennis has become more and more of a power game, on the other hand (as always), badminton requires speed for court coverage in triple quick time.

Therefore, the grunting in baddy I would associate more with an injury masked under a grunt that becomes habit forming.

With tennis, pain will be associated more with grimace (not the agonizing defeat kind of grimace) and grunting is a form of leverage to crank that lever (power) a notch up!

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Grunting to produce a power surge is common in many sports

Grunting to produce a power surge is common in many sports. like in Karate, Weight Lifting, Hammer Throwing, etc, etc, ......

So for Badminton, I would expect a grunt when a player is smashing as hard as he/she can.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    time for players to have an ipod next to it and auto grunt for them. lol. ;)

12. Glocker

Glocker Regular Member

Does this count as distracting? I was watching a mixed doubles match, and it was decidedly loopsided at 16-7. The losing team scored a point and finally got a chance to serve again; this time it was the guy's serve. He looked at his partner and said "8 points to go," in clear voice that his receiver could hear. He then made a great serve and I think it kinda unnerved his receiver (who's the male of the opposing mixed doubles). After winning the point, he announced again "7 more to go," before getting into his serve posture. He counted down the remaining points just before his every serve; would you believe he won 8 points in a row?
    They went on to win the match!

Does this count as a sort of mental game as well and if it is should there be disallowed?

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

There is nothing wrong with that type of comment to his partner. It wasn't a distraction during the rally, and if it wasn't done with rude gestures , one could just call it encouraging his partner.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, I think that while i CAN be a bit unnerving/annoying for the opposing team, it's perfectly legal, and I cant find anything wrong with it. Just like Fidget said, it's a way of motivating himself/his partner. Much much better than players complaining about how lucky their opponents are after rallys, which is within the rules as well (as long as they dont insult them).

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I tend to grunt at times as well, but thats when I have to move very fast and do a very big step. When pushing with the hind leg, I kinda grunt. It just happens, probably due to tensing up the torso to retain balance. Sometimes I grunt when smashing, but thats very quiet - I always breathe out, and it just results in a small noise, but nothing that could really distract. Yelling on the other hand is not really something that comes naturally - so Sharapova and Widianto annoy the hell outta me :D

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Match between our 2 Tennis Scream Queens

In about 36 hours' time, Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka will be playing at our 2012 Australian Open (Tennis) Womens Singles Final match here in Melbourne, Australia.

There is so much talk about this final match between the 2 Tennis Scream Queens, Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka (here in our Melbourne news) that it reminded me of this thread.

This match will be televised worldwide. Let's have a watch :D:D:D and have a laugh at this noisy match.

My question is: Will the louder screamer win? :D:D:D

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/scream-queens-to-contest-open-final-20120126-1qji2.html

#56 chris-ccc, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  17. phili

phili Regular Member

Once had an opponent who started shouting at 1-0 in my favour 2 or 3 rallies later he totally lost it. Those two games were just lovely...
    This excessive shouting really got on my nerves it was pretty hard to keep my cool.

18. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I have been known to grunt during matches and usually it is when I have to exert a lot of force ie smash harder than usual or lunge for those hard to reach shots. I am quite self conscious of this but luckily i'm not in the category of a few "womens tennis players." but rather it's a short, sharp "Agh"

A friend of mine mentioned to me that your breathing technique can play a part in your stamina and energy levels during matches. He explained that grunting is a way of expelling air and told me to trying smashing holding my breath instead and sure enough, I got tired very quickly.

19. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

Screaming at every single point in your favor.
    Screaming at your opponent's mistakes.
    I find it frustrating and I am absolutely baffled that such behavior is not punished by yellow and red cards.

Cameron01, kwun and Cheung like this.
  20. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I play with a woman who is very high level. When she wins a point she has a high pitch "someone is being murdered" kinda scream. Everyone knows it and is used to it, and she only does it in high stakes or close games. It's kinda her thing and the crowd always laughs when she does it.

In fact, it's almost an insult if she doesn't scream during your game because it means she has no pressure and she isn't trying hard to win. She'll never yell when playing people at a lower level than her. So really, when you play with her you HOPE for a scream! Hahah.

LenaicM likes this.