Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I just hope they don’t follow the path of TTY, didn’t win a major when the rest of the field was weak, then suddenly found out she could no longer dominate. The rest of MD can’t stay this weak forever.

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

After watching the minions vs Choi/Seo match again, I just noticed that Kevin in G3 has become somewhat like Hendra. No expression whatsoever even though they won or lost the rally. No celebration winning a point no frown no scowl when losing one, just being cool even his body language. Was he transforming to a Hendra?:D:D:D

3. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's hard to say. It's not that minions didn't try or chose not to play major. They just couldn't be in form playing in majors somehow, always performing below par for some reasons. Nerves I guess.
    And it takes two to win a double match, makes it more complicated.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Amazing how much discussion goes on about this pair who didn't get to the final...:D

5. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Lose once, no big deal; Twice, doubts start to creep in; Three times, you have to wonder how much longer the window remains open. Given Marcus’ age, it is entirely possible the pair will no longer be if they didn’t win OC

rhoder and Cheung like this.
  6. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

major every year
    marvin is not too interested
    compare with ag which is every four years
    marvin win it

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

What are you talking. This is the strongest era in MD, every matches in top 20 is so competitive. Even Minions cant get away with it. Just look at what HokiKoba has done as these 3 days as well AhsanRian 2 years ago. We love upsets dont we?

If LCW and LD keeps winning , i can also attribute to the rest of the field 3-20 being weak (and honestly its more obvious than domination of Minions and longer too). It can also means it is weak Era. But even so if this is what you think the 3-20 in MD is so much more exciting than the 3-20 in MS of the past. So saying MD in weak era is a misjudgment. Its 1 of the most exciting eras , to me. Every match is so much more watchable than XD or WD matches.

I think it is attributed to more players playing MD now.

#4507 Yoji, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  8. tepokbulu

tepokbulu Regular Member

md weak era?
    china still can't produce fucai replacement in weak era?

9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Small correction. "Who didn't get to the R16" should be there instead of finals.
    Indonesian fans are obsessed with Kevin.

10. minions

minions Regular Member

Well, @Cheung is not wrong, although yours are more accurate.

You are right, INA fans do obsessed with Kevin. But, they are obsessed with Jojo even more. After Jojo's AG gold medal, his popularity is skyrocketed, to the point that he has more IG followers than Kevin.

11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

If MD is weak, then what is WD or XD?

dont know what people thinking sometimes.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Win or lose they are still much loved (or hated):D

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I suspect Jojo's popularity has little to do with his skills:p:p:p:p

14. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Yeah they didn't even get to round 3, that's even worse compared to their 2 previous WCs.
    Agree Indonesian fans are obsessed with Kevin, but that's understandable. Indonesia waited 10 years to have another amazing front count player, after hendra.
    (I hope we won't wait another 10 years to have the next one).

And since you brought this up, I'm just wondering what/how non-indonesians think about Kevin? Do you guys think the fans overrate him (too much)? And how do you rate Gideon's role in this pairing? Haha I hope this won't be too out of topic. I've had a discussion with a friend recently about minions. My friend is non indonesian, he's an amateur player. & he has quite opposite opinion (with Indonesian) to some extent about this pairing. It's interesting to know what 'outsiders' think

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Your friend's opinion, is it more technical or behavioral? I'm curious to know.

16. ma.ria

ma.ria Regular Member

Technical. He can live with Kevin's antics behaviours. Moreover, minions are one of his favorite pairings.

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i did a video review of every service timing during the infamous match:

kevin - 1-3 seconds, marcus - 2-4 seconds
    seo sj - 2-4 seconds, choi sg - 4.50-5 seconds consistently (last 2 points of the match were 6 seconds)

game) service turns - points scored

choi
    1) 4 - 10, 2) 6 - 12, 3) 6 - 12
    16 turns of serve scoring 34 of their 60 total pts - 56% of their total.

kevin
    1) 5 - 12, 2) 6 - 8, 3) 6 - 14
    17 turns of serve scoring 34 of their 56 pts - 61% of their total.

korea scored 2.1 pts when it was choi's turn to serve.
    indo scored 2.0 pts when it was kevin's turn to serve.

3 players have a 2 second differential in serve timing.
    1 player has a consistent 0.5 second differential, with a 1.5 second max differential.

in any case neither side seemed to object to any service timing. kev/marcus stood ready for everything. they were never caught leaning off balance one way or the other as players tend to do when expecting a serve from a particular players rhythm. koreans scored a point on choi's serves as often as the indo's scored on kevin's serve. kevins' serve is more of an advantage to indo than choi's is to korea.

my opinion:

korea played great defense and showed excellent court awareness. choi played the game of his life up front. they made it to the 1/4's which is farther than most observers likely expected at this point of their partnership. i still believe they're underrated and will be medal contenders come tokyo 2020.

indo made more uncharacteristic mistakes than what is normal for them. marcus cannot get out of his own head. for now i still regard them as the favorite to win any given tournament, but i'm not surprised when they flame out of a major. funny how that is, eh?

ebcd likes this.
  18. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

I said the rest of MD is weak which I think is quite obvious when there is no clear #2 behind the minions. From the same logic, the rest of XD behind Zheng/Huang is even weaker than MD. Can’t say the same for WD, where no pair is dominating.

Having no clear #2 of coz means it’s the best chance for the strong #1. Using tennis as an example, how many majors did Federer win before Nadal emerges? How many after?

I do think the minions are wasting chances big time right now. If you don’t feel the same way, I doubt you are true fans of them :p

19. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

And it doesn’t really matter to me how strong the MD is right now comparing to the past. Only the # of wins matter after all said and done. Minions already got that going for them in terms of SS wins. I just hope they win more majors and not end up in the same category as LYD or TTY.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Who else does Korea have for medal contenders?:cool:

Interesting statistics of serve points.
    I bet many of the points Choi's serve points were from Marcus?:p

If Marcus can do something about his 'head' and play like his normal (consistent) self, they should be fine. His face expression and body language in that match was quite frustrating and annoying to watch beside Choi's delayed serves and receiving.

Perhaps now that they had lost major (minus AG) 3 times, they could revert to their challenger mode like before maybe?