inversion when double pulling the last crosses

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by flyingcords, Sep 2, 2019.

1. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Lately I tried to change two things in the process of stringing the last crosses when stringing the crosses from bottom to the top. Instead of pulling the last cross at the end before tying off, I double pull the last two crosses by pulling the last but one cross and I tie off at the closest shared hole instead of tying off at the top of the frame.
    My purpose and guess is to prevent frame deformation by not pulling directly the last cross at the top of the frame. And tying off at the first closest top shared hole seems neater to me. (I obviously tie off on a main string not cross)
    Please tell me if it's a bad idea or not. I'm pretty happy with the result, so far ...

#1 flyingcords, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    stradrider likes this.
  2. vkwok

vkwok Regular Member

I think no problem with it as LN stringing team will also do that to players racket, to put one more string on the top preventing them snapping it so quickly

3. vkwok

vkwok Regular Member

Correction, what I mean is you string the last , and the second last, then you double pull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. flyingcords

Yes , that's what I do.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. that's what I do too. it is a sound method. the last string didn't get direct tension but that is a short string so it is like doing proportional stringing.

6. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

that's what I do too, I didn't know it's good practice... I do that because my machine doesn't allow me to clamp the last cross. I'm happy to learn.

thank you

7. Nologicone

Nologicone New Member

Hi everyone,

May I be educated on why tying off the last cross string on another cross string is a bad idea?

BTW, likewise I have done the same to pull the last 2 cross strings when on rackets with 22 cross strings due to the space limitation on a Klippermate :) I did panicked the first time I encounter this situation at midnight, ha ha! Stringing is fun!

Thanks!

8. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I too make my knot on the cross of the last shareholes. At first i did the knot on the main but i find it more pleasant to look at the cross, maybe due to the fact that the string from the same direction of the cross. I dont think its wrong.

9. flyingcords

Please, the experts of the forum :D, tell us if we do wrong when we tie off at the closest shared hole instead of tying off at the top ! And please explain us why tying-off on a main or a cross is different.o_O

#9 flyingcords, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  10. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I am no expert, but from what I saw there are two ideas going around regarding tying knots.

First, usually Yonex try to follow this thought, and this is why they tie the upper knot at fifth and not the sixth grommet at the top... I think :rolleyes:. There are 2 kind of shared grommets depending how the strings go in. If they are going from the same side than the grommet is open or if they they are coming from opposite directions than they cross and the grommet is than closed (since the strings intersect). The second type is the one where the second string usually harder to get into and you have to use string mover, awl or whatever you use..The closed shared grommet (not to mistake with blocked one, which is not shared) is theoretically better one to use for knots as there is less chance of the knot slipping into the grommet. A lot of other manufacturers don't care about that, I think, because if you make the knot bulky enough than it will stay put.

Another thought is that if you are using the knot on one of the center mains you would than make that string stiffer and less flexible and than it might affect the feeling in the sweet spot or even break. As opposed of tying somewhere on the side. So a lot of "guru" stringers that do their own thing actually use the method as in OP where you double pull the last two crosses and than tie at the closest shared grommet on the side. If you tie the knot on the cross there and not the main - I would not think it would be optimal as these are crosses that undergo extreme stress if the strings are hit above the sweet spot. That is very common and often result in string breakage.

There is another thought that I heard (and I am not sure I can agree with it) is that it is too much stress to tie at the shared grommets as there will be 3 strings going into it and will be too much stress on the grommet and the racket frame... I think if the grommet is large enough (the ones we talk about usually are) and if it does not intersect with the strings involved in the sweet spot - it would not suffer from the extra stress that usual on knots that are at the sweet spot strings (especially 5th on top). Therefore the danger is not higher there even there is stress from 3 strings, in my opinion...

What do you guys think?

#10 stradrider, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  11. Nologicone

Nologicone New Member

Thanks for the insight! So far this is the 1st time I tie the last cross on another cross string as I'm just trying to find the closest share hole to minimize tension lost and like fanfaron, it does look good though after I did it :D

Anyways, this is my own racket and I will see if it affects the durability of the strings. I DO mis-hit a lot but yet to break strings strung at 26/28lb.

Cheers!

stradrider likes this.