YONEX Aerus 2 vs Aerus 3 vs SHB03Z vs Eclipsion X vs Eclipsion Z

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by VeritasC&E, Sep 3, 2019.

1. VeritasC&E

VeritasC&E Regular Member

I have to buy a new pair of shoes very soon, and I am hesitating between these 4 options.

I already have two pairs of SHB03Z which I find super. Side support is important for me. So are grip and light weight.

I'm wondering which is the best of these 4 shoes.

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think it would be better to not spam the forum with numerous new threads but instead consolidate all questions of a particular type into one thread. For example, you opened three threads about these shoes. I would only recommend aerus if you don't need much support in any direction as aerus is the worst at that, it's made to be light. 03Z and Eclipsion Z are for people with wide feet. If you want one for normal feet and good cushioning you should try 65Z or Comfort Z.

Super85 likes this.
  3. VeritasC&E

After doing quite a lot of reading I ended up opting for the Aerus 3 (new, all red version), which I should soon receive.

If it may help others, hereafter was my rationale:

• I did not opt for Eclipsion X as it does not have all the technologies of the Eclipsion Z, and so it wasn't clear if it would really be an upgrade over the 03Z. For anyone with a low / mid quality shoe looking for an upgrade, this may however seem to be quite a good introduction into the higher Yonex range. Reviews are very positive.
    • I did not opt for the Eclipsion Z (though it would have been the perfect choice for me if it were a true successor to the 03Z) because apparently the ankle support is inferior to the 03Z, which is a deal-breaker for me (a shame since they did it perfectly on the 03Z and developed these as a successor to the 03Z). I loved the design though.

• I did not opt for the Aerus 2 because they fail on cushioning, and because Yonex apparently actually succeeded (on this model!) at producing an improvement better in every way (except, arguably, design).
    • I did not opt for the 03Z as I already have 2 pairs of them in acceptable shape and because one of the other models (Aerus 3) seems to have been quite a good work from Yonex, allowing me to complement the 03Z with a design suiting different needs.

The Aerus 3 will be the lightest shoes I've ever used, but at the cost of lower ankle support and maybe lower durability vs the 03Z, I'll see how that turns out. Worst case I'll either send them back or keep them for competitions while using the 03Z for trainings (thus minimising the risk of injury).

I'm a bit saddened at the apparently failed attempt to produce a favourable successor to the 03Z. My next shoes (hopefully) will be a true successor to it (maybe Eclipsion Z II? ^^). I have 3 pairs of shoes to wear out now, so I'll wait out the upgrade patiently

4. Swaraj Lakshman

Swaraj Lakshman Regular Member

Hi there, why didn't you consider 65Z ? It is around the same price range and overall a great shoe but may not be as light as Aerus.
    65Z2 also seems to be a worthy upgrade,will post the reviews soon.

VeritasC&E likes this.
  5. VeritasC&E

They would need to be clearly better than either 03Z or Aerus 3. I look forward to reading your reviews!

6. Swaraj Lakshman

Swaraj Lakshman Regular Member

Hi all,

Its been a more than a week since i have been playing with 65Z2 and 65X2 WIDE, so thought of sharing my thoughts.

Comparisions:-

Both are "Made in Vietnam" (the ones i received)

65Z2 -Size 29.5cms or UK11 (bought from e78-excellent service)
    65X2 Wide -Size 28.5cms or UK10 (bought from sportsuncle-excellent service,international shipping available.)

Having slightly Wide feet, if i am fortunate to get the Wider model i can settle for 28.5cms or UK10 if not, i have to opt for a size higher and the extra room does not bother me much.

Right from the time you put them on,

65Z2 does feel more premium(comfortable)perhaps its the tongue of the shoe which is having comparatively more cushion.
    65X2 Wide feels more snug fit to me(as my size is 28.5cms)

It is interesting to note bottom of the insoles . If you see the pic below , you shall see one has SHBCFZW mentioned and other has YB-70-1 mentioned on it. Not much of a difference between the two in terms of playing.

Overall the i prefer the colour of 65 X2 Wide (it truly looks great)

Absence of Power Graphite Plate in 65X2 Wide didn't bother me.

If you tend to play for a longer time, the less cushioning of 65X2 at the tongue of the shoe may seem as an issue for a few.

EDIT:forgot to mention,compared to 65z this shoe somehow feels better (i do not know why)

Will update after a months use.

WP_20190921_13_00_37_Pro.jpg WP_20190921_13_00_39_Pro.jpg WP_20190921_13_00_58_Pro.jpg WP_20190921_13_01_38_Pro.jpg WP_20190921_13_02_50_Pro.jpg WP_20190928_15_16_20_Pro.jpg WP_20190921_13_03_11_Pro.jpg WP_20190928_15_20_00_Pro.jpg WP_20190928_15_29_46_Pro (2).jpg WP_20190928_15_24_48_Pro.jpg

VeritasC&E likes this.