Why there are so many wrong/poor technique tutorials on youtube?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by s6edge, Sep 9, 2019.

1. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

Why there are so many wrong/poor technique tutorials on youtube?

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

There is many factor for it.
    Like in a good will they just want to share their knowledge which they think its the right one.
    Or different coach have different approach based on his experience which makes the teaching might be different.

Ballschubser and Cheung like this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It's still early years in terms of how long people have put technique videos up, I see some newer channels, and some of the newer ones may be better, particularly where they don't disable comments!

But maybe point out where you think they are wrong. so there's a better chance that newer content creators don't repeat the mistakes of older ones.

#3 ralphz, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  4. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Because if you are good at something never do it for free!

kwun likes this.
  5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Not really the case, sometimes giving away free stuff is an advertising strategy some use nowadays. And it applies re youtube.

And there are some Good ones.

6. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Oops

#6 asadafgs, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  7. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

What is the purpose to make a video? Unless you can make money, most most people will not make one. Another component to this is how it takes time and effort to make a video. A good coach has a pretty booked schedule, and is also pretty tired as a result. Only unpopular coaches are going to make videos. Now this is not to knock on KC (not saying he's a bad coach, his situation is probably a large result of the crappy management at his club) , but he does not have many students. That's why he makes YouTube videos: make money and he has the time.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Passive income and promotion.

9. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

You would be suprised how many people do something unsalaried, for not even a single cent. Clubs in germany are based on unsalaried work (at least 98%, not regarding the larger professional clubs). E.g. the training of our clubs youth is supported by a lot of volunteers, investing several hours of their time each week. So, many people are willing to give something for (almost) nothing in return. Youtube is just a modern way to do it. Maybe they love what they are doing and they want to help others to feel the same love for their sport.

Simeon, michael5098, LenaicM and 5 others like this.
  10. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

What channels do you mean? There are many very good badminton videos on Youtube.

11. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Not all is greedy.
    I had no official coach but some good player around me kindly playing with me, teach some basic technique, giving advice here & there on my techique. Then few of my friend that also giving some advice & comment about me that i had improve up till this day. So i guest all of those people is my coach & never once they ask payment for what they give to me.

Same does to me right now. I know im not a pro nor even consider myself an advance player. But with all i got in my long experience, im willing to share it to anyone for free like some of my post here. Maybe my answer is not the best but at least it will be helpfull to other. Or maybe if my advice is bad, you all can counter me & enlighten me for what is good, so i gain more knowledge instead.

Even at my club there is 2 person whos under me. Its not like i got money from them or what, but they likely to ask for advice from me from the basic skill to racket choice. One of them even really love to mimic my style:)

Well, im blessed with many good people around me so that i become me today. So why not passing those blessing to others around me to:D. Trust me the blessing will never run out even when you share it. With my skill improved, playing with a coach, become friend with him, & eventually he give some tips to improve myself. So another bless for me:p

Simeon and Sumanth99 like this.
  12. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

People of my generation, often known as the 'millenials', look back nostalgically at the 'old youtube', before Google took over, before monetisation, before it was recognised for its sheer power of advertising.

Back then in the early growth of the internet, millions of people shared videos just because they felt like it. It was a place to volunteer your experiences, rather than a platform to make money. It was full of silly videos for creations sake, rather than to draw in viewers...before 'viral' was a word!

And now we get to the point where the first question people ask is "What's the point in making videos on youtube if there's no money to be made?". How times change...

On a personal note, I did notice my channel/account has been grouped as 'personal blog' type account, without me specifying as such. I'd never even viewed it as such, but there it is, a label/categorisation everything to enable more targeted adverts! Efficient, but scary.

Simeon, s_mair and Ballschubser like this.
  13. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Times didn't change... the quality of videos changed. A detailed tutorial video these days take a lot of time in terms of editing. You can do it for free, but at the end of the day you have to put food on the table somehow

14. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Which tutorials do you mean? I've seen plenty and most of them are pretty decent.

15. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Also asadafgs is asking that on a forum of all places. Forums cover a variety of subjects and have many people contributing at no charge.

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Maybe he has in mind things mentioned on the forum that you might have seen?

So have you not seen any discussion on the forum about any video on youtube that have something confusing or controversial or something people don't agree with?

Did you not see the recent thread mentioning an anna rice video on smashing, where one aspect of a video(about the ear), routinely causes confusion besides a criticism that the entire video(and bunch of them), that include talk about contact point, a shuttle isn't hit. That is not to say the whole video or whole video series is bad. But that's something obvious on the forum that you might have seen? (like, as a start)

Or really famously, there's the Lee Jai Bok smash technique that he never did when he was a Pro, but that he teaches on his videos. That's famously controversial. Among a group of badminton enthusiasts, or among some coaches, people know about that one. And it has been mentioned on the forum numerous times for years and has been mentioned in comment on those videos(where he hasn't disabled comments).

17. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Of course LJB or Rice can make a 'mistake' sometime but to say "so many wrong technique tutorials" seems to imply to me he went on youtube and find lots and lots of people teaching the wrong things. I went on youtube and find the tutorials there very decent and quite clear so I'm curious where the experience differ.

18. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Maybe you are interpreting him in a ridiculous way, while also slightly understating some things that have been critiqued..

In regard to you interpreting him in a ridiculous way. What's "lots and lots of people". Do you really expect him to mean "lots and lots of people". . What like a hall of people? All teaching badminton on youtube? He didn't say "lots and lots" or even "lots".

Many means a few or a substantial portion, or too more than he thinks there should be.

There is clearly enough for some regular or not rare discussion..

And in regard to you slightly understating things that have been critiqued. What you describe as "mistakes" can be described as bad/wrong technique. Certainly in the LJB smash case, many people(even lots and lots!), do describe it as bad/wrong technique. So "mistake" would be a really unclear way to describe it.. If you want to call it a mistake, then far clearer would be bad/wrong technique. In the Anna Rice smash video example re contact, one could be more charitable, and say it's a very problematic teaching technique with a problematic coaching cue, and/or one could reasonably say don't hit it like that/there, that's wrong, as some have, quite reasonably ..

And bear in mind that as has been mentioned here, compared to the Pros, we all have bad/wrong technique.

Does this mean that there aren't also decent/clear tutorials? no. He didn't say there weren't..And he didn't comment on the whole overall experience, only one aspect of it that he found.

And it doesn't mean that anybody is producing lots of wrong stuff. Or that you can't find a good amount of good stuff on youtube.. And so on.

Maybe you don't like somebody looking at only the negative(in a post/thread), and you want to stress the positive.

He only said there's 'too many' bad/wrong technques. A person can do well but feel they made *too many* mistakes. It depends on your standards!

19. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Well I mean if you say "why are there so many politicians that are corrupt", I'd assume you are saying a lot of politicians are corrupt. I think that's a rather normal interpretation.

Simeon likes this.
  20. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Well, he didn't say "so many", and "so many" is really ambiguous, like a feeling. Not clear whether you mean "a lot of".or "lots and lots". It means you're surprised by the number, but it's not clear what number you expected or how surprised you are. "so many" could be a huge number. One would have to hear the tone. Also you didn't say "so many".(whatever that would mean).

You are downplaying your previous exaggeration.. You said "lots and lots".

There's a spectrum. "too many" ---> "a lot of" ---> "lots" ----> "lots and lots"

One may differ over the middle two in that spectrum but it's blatantly obvious that there's a large gulf between "too many" and "lots and lots".

Also, he didn't refer to people, he referred to bad techniques.

A person could teach 25 techniques and let's say 5 are bad or controversial.. That doesn't mean the person is bad. His statement is not going after the person. So you are blowing what he said out of proportion in two ways.

Too many bad(or not good) techniques on youtube, is not lot and lots of bad people. And perhaps as if they're not producing much good, he didn't say such a thing.

To try to answer the question the OP asked though..

Almost anybody teaching a technique is often so far from what the pros do that people may find flaws.. And if a pro teaches a technique then what they say often doesn't match what they do 'cos teaching is different from doing and they might not be aware of what they are doing.

And it's sometimes hard to prove that a technique is good or bad.. The two people one thinking it's good, one thinking it's bad, are often not in the same room and willing to test it out..And sometimes something can work on some people and not on others, depending on what they are doing in response. It's tough.. It's often never as simple as people think or as people portray..

And the game develops, so a technique a person learnt and perfected over 20 years, might have shifted a bit to a different technique. Maybe Pros do a technique and it takes time to filter down to the point where those that aren't pros can do it reasonably well..

I'm sure that if you(OP) spent years learning to do net shots really well, and you put a video online, somebody will find something with it.. or maybe they'll overlook that your technique or instructions optimized for one thing and neglected something else... Look how people play, players make mistakes all the time and don't know why. It's very very hard even for full time coaches! Only a tiny percentage of badminton coaches ever play at a very high level.. And even then they can have really strange technique that isn't ideal, but that they learnt from their coach long ago. Or they could teach something newer that they haven't spent a decade perfecting.

Look at how many people play for years and years and don't even reach county level, let alone national level and let alone international level

So @SSSNT I think your reaction to the OP's post is a bit knee-jerk defensive.. I think the OP was fairly careful in just saying 'too many'. One needn't take his statement as a personal thing against anybody uploading youtube videos.

A youtube producer could easily turn round and say there are 'too many' keyboard warriors..

But with humbleness from both sides, recognising that there can be a good exchange of thoughts.. recognizing that there will often be something bad about a technique. And awareness that pointing that out will help to improve or understand it. I think that's good. I think it's good to give critics some leeway so they don't have to walk on eggshells.

But one can expect that there would be a lot of things that people can pick at, (which is kind of arguing that it may be bad technique on the some level)..I think that's ok for that to be out there. I think that's a better way of looking at it than an overly sensitive approach that is dissuaded from ever focussing on negatives.

Also the OP was simply asking a broad question, and I think one that can be interpreted charitably, in a reasonable way.