Offensive racquet (frequent tendonitis)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Serial42, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

Hello,

I'm french player and I bought 2 years ago a Babolat X-Feel Essential Metricflex racket, with a rope Nanogy 99 or BG 66 Force roped to 11kg.

I have an offensive game, the power of smash remains my strong point and that's what it does my game.

Or, since I play with this racket, I have tendonitis (repeated tendonitis in forearm medial side). Despite several physical therapy sessions, rest etc ... It remains present, I can not do more than one training per week otherwise it triggers, forcing me to stop...

I have the impression that it's not a really tendonitis, but rather a tension of the muscles of the arm, too tense which causes the pain at a certain time of game.

So, I wonder if it does not come from the weight of the racket because I did not have this problem before. I would like to have less strength in the arm but is oriented offensive.

On the forum, I see a lot of contradictory things about the weight of the racket. Some say it must be since the racket is lighter (that's what I currently have). It is thought that a heavy racket is needed to bring less power to the arm.

Before, I had an old Yonex MP28 (3U). I don't know if it was a header weight but I didn't suffer.

I am a little lost and I would like your opinion :)

Thank you

#1 Serial42, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    buibui2 likes this.
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

What's your job? Working with a computer a lot? Did your habits charge to using the mouse more? Do you use your had for anything? What about your technique?

The Babolat X-Feel Essential is not the easiest racket with its smaller head, but it's far from extreme in any other way, specs wise. Sure it could be one cause, but I highly doubt it's the only one. Did the physio not try to find out where it might come from? Did anything else change around the same time when you switched to that racket?

3. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

The physio didn't find anything, just inflammation. If I should describe it, it's a golfer elbow.

I work in computing since 6-7 years ^^ So I use a mouse every time in my work and a little at home.
    I don't have any pain when I'm on my computer.

My technique can be much more perfectible. I hit a lot and I tend to want to quickly finish the point.
    More I hit a lot, more the pain comes quickly, but it's frustrating because it's my game :(

I don't remember that anything else change around the same time.

It looks like tendinitis that never wants to disappear, despite a rest of 6 months...
    I use elbow support, but no changes.

#3 Serial42, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    lower your tension
    or more likely, get a more flexible racquet

5. speCulatius

So it's not really - or at least not only - the forearm...? That gives even more possible reasons. From the way you sleep (using bent arm as a pillow) over your technique and working with a computer (mouse, touchpad) to holding a smartphone.

Try to avoid these things that might have a negative impact, maybe work on your technique and maybe try a softer racket that dampens vibrations. Lowering the tension might help as well.
    Massage your arm, probably no need to be overly gentle or have somebody do it. A massage ball with spikes might help.

Which racket did you use before and why did you get the new one?

6. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

I really feel that the pain is a golfer elbow but it can radiate all the forearm if I insist too much.

I had a very old Yonex Muscle Power 28.
    I took little level and I wanted a new racket who was going in this direction.

So, what can you advise me as configuration (racket, string) to match my game and reduce pain ?

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    rest the tendon first, and then do some strength training.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My physio worked on my leg, core and back muscle imbalance to reduce the tendinitis in my arm...

9. speCulatius

That's a good suggestion, also try to find out what really causes it. You want to be able to tackle the cause and not only work against the symptoms.

From the rackets I've tried recently (only Adidas, sorry for that), either Wucht P2 (easy power) or Überschall F2 (softer head might help, head weight is not much less) might make you happy. Staying with Babolat might not be too easy. The Satelite Essential should be easier on your elbow, but my Satelite Blast does vibrate kinda strange on some mishits, so I'm not so sure. I really don't know the other rackets by them. Anything not to stiff should be fine (Yonex AX77, AX6, Li Ning... no idea, but there'll be a few), but I'm not so sure your racket really is the problem.

Rest, massage, strengthening.... until you know where it might come from.

10. BalajiSethuraman

BalajiSethuraman Regular Member

As kuwn said rest the tendons first, then go in front of a mirror and do ur smash dry swing or ask one of your friends to take a video of ur smash swing and see/compare it with the correct way of smash swing. I suspect ur locking ur elbow and shoulder too much thereby your forearm is stressed too much. See if your pronation is correct.

Because u were using a relatively littler racket earlier the issue didn’t surface. Now that the heavy racket required more energy to swing the stressed muscle call for help!!!

Remember there is something called muscle memory. It will not change from rackets to rackets. Once u move to heavy rackets the muscle will tell u..

Again it up to u to either change ur racket or find the root cause and correct it. One important thing to remember is the badminton Rackets manufactures does not make heavy rackets well built person and lighter racket for puny person..for smash force velocity is very important and for higher velocity “mass” is pivotal.. that’s why they make heavy rackets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

I had a video when I was in tournament last year : https://www.bcrg.fr/2018/06/03/resultats-double-tour-roannais-2018/
    From 1:47 (i'm the boy with black shirt and yellow logo club), you can see several smashes and even in slow motion.

Okay, I think I'll do some strength training.

And I had my racket since 2 years, and for me, it's time to change too because I feel too much vibrations and not very appropriate now.
    In addition, my shot is good but I have more difficulties in the game fast flat.
    I would like to keep my good shot too if it's possible, feel less vibrations for my arm.
    I play exclusively doubles (mens or mixtes) and I cover most often the bottom of the field.

12. BalajiSethuraman

Gone through the video, there were 2 black dresses person I assume ur the right handed person. So I think ur definitely locking ur elbow thereby giving more stress to the forearm.

Take a look at the above videos. They never lock the elbow..

With respect to vibration, just reduce ur string tension to 23 or 24

13. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

No, I think you confuse. If you block video at 1:47, I'm the young boy on the center.
    And you can see one of my smash in slow motion at 2:50.

14. BalajiSethuraman

Ur the one with black band on the right hand and with bearded right? If yes then I am not confused

15. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

It's right, okay ^^

16. BalajiSethuraman

To me ur locking ur elbow which puts pressure on ur forearm. Use a lighter racket and practice the correct way for sometime, then check the same with your older heavy racket to see if the issue is gone..

Thanks

17. Serial42

Serial42 Regular Member

Okay.

When you said racket lighter, you means to use racket with neutral balance ? Or keep head heavy racket with flexible shaft ?

18. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I had a long struggle with my nerve ulnaris. Some people are very tight in the area. It took me at least 2 years to cure. I did frequent nerve glides, cut down my playing to more quality games and trained my technique, stopped weight training, reduced my tension by around 2kg and even then I went through a long time to cure it.

The change to a heavier and a bit more flexible racket made me enjoying badminton again. The usage of a lighter racket made it much more worse. With a light racket you will accelarate it more to get some power out of it. A heavier racket will work better. A smooth and loose swing will bring some Power and make the follow through more natural. A light racket will worsen it.

Had you some numb or tinkling sensation feeling in your pinky? I visited a bunch of doctors and got different diagnosis. From tennis/golfers elbow, to tendonitis. IMO you should see a doctor. If you don't get the help you want got to the next and the next. Did you had a MRT of this area? IMO you should make various appointments with doctors. We can just guess, but can't help you.

speCulatius and BalajiSethuraman like this.
  19. BalajiSethuraman

Correct.. see the doc first cure urself before u star again to play longer

20. BalajiSethuraman

Nope. No head heavy rackets if u have problems with tendons. Headlight rackets are better but see doc first