Help needed; Why racket had broken?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Bkmz, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Bkmz

Bkmz Regular Member

Strung my racket (Victor LightFighter 7500) with BG-66 UM, 12.5 kg.

No issues with stringing. Later at night heard a loud noise, was wondering through sleep wtf was that. Discovered a "surprise" in the morning.

The question is:
    - Was the frame broken as a result of snapped string?
    - Or the string snapped because the frame got broken?

Thanks)

PS> My theory is that the racket didn't forgive me for being lazy on mains, I tend to do 4 by 4 (string 4 to right, then 4 to left). This is why it's cracked and that's why the string got broken. Anyways, would be awesome if somebody confirms.

Attached Files:

2. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

No stringer, so just guessing for fun, my theory is:

I think, that the string broked first, then the frame. The horizontal and vertical string will generate a symmetrically force pointing inward. Due to a broken string at the left side, the forces got asymmetrically and the frame broked at the weakest spot. One reason, many people cut the strings once a single string breaks, to avoid asymmetrically forces damaging the frame.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I almost stopped reading after the word "Lightfighter". Those things seem to break only by looking at them. I guess that the string snapped and then the frame collapsed. What caused the string to snap, that's might be another topic for discussion. I don't see the 4/4 rhythm on the mains being the main culprit for the breakage.

4. Bkmz

Bkmz Regular Member

Eh, what are the options? It's light and HH and ultra-stiff) The good point is that they cost 100 eur, which is great for that kind of situations.

5. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I don't know... at 12.5 kg? May be...??

However, I would rather guess that it was already a little cracked there from before... Do you have a habit of tapping the racket on the floor when loosing a point? ;). That is where it usually breaks when people do it...

s_mair likes this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I don't care about other options, all I'm saying is that the Lighfighters are extremely fragile frames due to the lack of material. And if you search through the forum just a bit, you'll find others who have made the same experience with Lightfighter rackets. So imo, you can stop spending more thoughts about the reason for the breakage - it's that bloody fragile frame that is to blame.

speCulatius and stradrider like this.
  7. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

That's the second reason why I stay away from these light racquets, lack of ... durability !
    And first reason : lack of EDIT heaviness in smashes. I only swear by good old heavy 3U racquets.

#7 flyingcords, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

How is that being lazy? Don't you have to rotate the racket more often compared to doing them evenly? And I'd always give the string a little bit of time with the correct tension to lengthen a little bit. That's at least the few seconds it takes to pull the other string through the holes.

Anyway, my bet is on strings breaking first, too, otherwise the string would have snapped where the racket broke.

I used to play with LF rackets. Power is not a problem for me with lighter rackets, funnily my defense suffered due to the messed up timing. When three of them broke within three weeks (one of them a brand new replacement on the first stringjob), all at the same three spots without a clash or a mishit, I wasn't too sad about it. Interestingly, one of the three points where they broke was exactly the same like yours. So I blame the racket as well.

9. aqua26

aqua26 Regular Member

Sports Shop Owner
    Yes the string Broke as a result of snapped String.

There are few more aspects.
    1. How many times you have strung the racket.
    2. What was the previous stringing tensions.
    3. Where did the previous string snapped.
    4. Is there any grommet issue.
    5. & Many more aspects.

As you can see the racket is broken at the last string which holds the tension on the left side, Which clearly shows the racket broke because string snapped.

10. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

I guess the vertical string was moved (pulled with a string mover?) to help start the first bottom horizontal. It can be easy to over-stretch the string.
    Or, if the grommet is old there could be a rough edge or split.
    Or, a combination of both.

Do you have a picture of the bottom left grommets where the string probably snapped?

11. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

As you can see the broken strings are not equal in length. One string is about 15 cm shorter than another. Looks like it was not broken at the grommet but about 6-7 cm above it. For me it which indicates a mishit as the reason of breakage...

12. Ouchie

Ouchie Regular Member

There is less string to the left to release tension compared to the right side. Plus some shared holes to retain tension.
    I have suffered broken strings around the outer sides and the string always looks like that afterwards, despite the break initially being near or inside the grommet.

It does depend on the pattern, though.

#12 Ouchie, Sep 30, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  13. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I've had a Lightfighter break during stringing (haribito). Luckily the guy got a replacement from Victor. Since then I only string them using standard 2 piece, bottom-up pattern for added safety!