how to improve defence position in doubles

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chevy75, Sep 22, 2019.

1. chevy75

chevy75 Regular Member

hey guys,

I recorded some videos of my doubles play and ive noticed that my defence position is incorrect. My hips tend to face too much to the side instead of forward facing the opponent. My question is this. How do I go about correcting this? At the moment I've been trying to consciously correct it during game play by just constantly reminding myself and being aware of my court positioning as i'm playing. It works for as long as Im focusing on it but by doing this I lose focus on the other stuff such as trying to read the opponents shot etc.

How long do I have to do this for before it becomes automatic and I can start focusing more on reading the game rather than trying to consciously correct my positioning? Any off court drills I can do to help?

#1 chevy75, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. SimonCarter

SimonCarter Regular Member

The only way is to keep concentrating on it while playing. It will become easier and easier. You can do a defense drill where your opponent (or two people) keep attacking to you and you keep defending. This way you do not have to focus on anything else.

For how long you have to do it depends from people to people.

I do not know another way except having someone yelling at you every time you do it the wrong way.

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

As long as its still in your brain, it would be hard for you. Repeatitive is what you could do to makes your body memorize it & each person have different difficulty for their body to copy the pattern.

4. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

My experience and my coach's experience is that if you do the right practice, you will start to see the changes as early as 3 weeks after you initially noticed the error. The right practice doesn't even need to be long - 10-20 mins of good practice every week or twice a week is more than enough to change your habits. It's what you do in those 10-20 mins that is key.

Your practice needs to include:
    • Executing the movement correctly
    • Methodical review and feedback
    • Repetition of the movement in various forms including 1) stop motion, no shuttle 2) slow motion, no shuttle 3 ) normal speed, no shuttle 4) high pressure, no shuttle 5) stop motion, with shuttle, 6) slow motion with shuttle, 7) normal speed with shuttle 8) high pressure with shuttle
    I can't emphasise on the review and feedback portion enough. If you do it right, you can actually fit in 2-3 of the steps in a single week's session, getting you a roughly good shape in 3 weeks times, which will start to make itself noticed once or twice per game that you play without you actively trying (leaving you able to focus on reading the game).

If you do it wrong by skipping steps, or even worse - not having the right feedback and review, you can ingrain bad habits, which takes even longer to undo because you have to go back to step 1 again, rather than maybe re-visit the step before. Right now it sounds like you probably do step 1/2/3/4 (if you're being honest, you probably only do 1 or 2 of them), and you're probably skipping steps 5/6/7/8 because you need a regular dedicated feeder for that (whether a friend or a coach) which it doesn't sound like you've got.

It's remarkable how fast you can progress with the right environment. It's also surprising how slow people can progress if they do nothing but play games - I'm sure you can name me 5-10 players you know who have barely improved in 2+ years, even if they play multiple times a week. Sometimes this is because they don't wish to change their techniques, and sometimes they do, but they are not practising in the right environment. I will say with my experience that someone who is doing dedicated drills to improve one aspect (whether with a coach or not) is going to make 5-10x faster progress than someone who only 'practises' in games. Repetition is so key in practice - the clue in in the word DRILL - and unpredictable games are literally the opposite of drilling and repetition.

Also, don't be under the impression that after 3-8 weeks, your technique will be improved and it is done and dusted. You need to constantly review for 5-20 minutes every week even after you can do it 100% of the time in games/matches, because as soon as you start learning another technique e.g. finger power training, your defence technique may slip (or there may be opportunities to improve it further that your previous finger technique didn't allow you to take advantage of!), so instead of again going back to step 1 with ingrained bad habits, you can start off at step 4 or 5 and pick up your defence quickly again.

If you're under any doubt, I have watched Toby Penty train (#2 England MS) for a solid 10-15 mins a single footwork - middle base to round the head backhand corner. 10-15 reps at a time, and just kept doing sets for 10-15 minutes. No shuttle, no racquet, 1 single footwork - he didn't just learn it and stop. He continually re-visits and reviews each single movement, and I don't doubt for a moment Momota/Sukamuljo/LD etc. don't do it either. No wonder pro's are so good at moving...

#4 DarkHiatus, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  5. chevy75

chevy75 Regular Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. DarkHiatus : quick question. What is Stop Motion?

You're definitely right when it comes to the importance of review and feedback. I've only recently started video recording my game play and its only then that I could pick up on these errors. I'e got a whole list of things I'm doing wrong...too many i would say :) ranging from game play problems (less than ideal shot choice, incorrect standing position etc) to technical issues (incorrect form eg taking the shot too far behind me, not using enough pronation).

Too many things to fix I don't even know where to start. The approach I'm taking to correct game play issues is to video my game play and then review the issues that are causing me to lose the most points and work on that (80/20 rule). In the most recent game I noticed that I was losing a lot of points due to lack of defence skills and thats where I noticed that my defence standing position was incorrect. Thats my approach to improving aspects of my game play. When it comes to improving on the technical aspects of my strokes (eg footwork, posture) I dont know where to start. There are so many areas to work on. How do you choose which stroke to work on first? I'm assuming its best to work on only one or two things at the time.

The problem I'm facing with this is...eg when i try to work on getting behind the shuttle early I'm too focused on that to think about getting the footwork right. So right now I've got too many things going on my head. I guess these are the problems one faces when trying to learn the basics as an adult. Whats the best way to approach this? I need a game plan but don't know where to start.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Where to improve will depend on your objectives. Do you want to play good or just a little better?

Are you prepared to work from basics upwards? This will take much longer time but you will reach a higher level and for me, a much more enjoyment out of the game.

Can you get a coach who understands this and will take you through the repetitive drills and try to get you to do good form and technique? You need to say to the coach that it is very important to you that you have the right footwork and form.

Any coach can make you a little better - They just feed you shuttles and you get to play better with your usual bad technique. Is that what you want?

It's difficult to correct gameplay issues if you haven't got decent technique and footwork because mediocre footwork/technique don't let you play the shot that you need to do.

For example, your defence is poor. It might be your lift from the net is poor so you don't have enough time to get into position. Why was your lift poor? Perhaps your footwork to the net was bad or you don't swing your arm/use your fingers properly. Maybe the shot before that was bad.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You should be aware that when learning and focussing on a particular thing, then other things may dip a bit. In life. If you can remember when you learnt to drive then you might remember that happening. It doesn't mean you were doing it wrong.

When you say "I guess these are the problems one faces when trying to learn the basics as an adult." <-- Do you think children learn everything like magic. If a child spends time learning how to tie their shoelaces, that's time they are not spending on their times tables.

Generally footwork isn't a bad thing to look at first. Because that tends to come before the racket motion.

If your footwork is wrong, your racket motion might have to cater to that.

And with good footwork, everything looks more normal and better.

But there are going to be important other things besides footwork.

9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Imagine you lifted the shuttle to the other side, then set yourself ready to defend, set your feet and hips, then look and check that you did it right.

Don't keep doing it wrong then correcting it afterwards(unless you are unable yet to get it right in one go). Once you get it rght in one go, then You need to keep practising getting it right in one go.

Practise getting it right in one go, lots of times, like for an hour. Or until it feels very natural.

Practise with a partner, before a game.. That is even better practise than off court. Lift it, go into defense. Check you got it right.

Then in a game you should get it right sometimes.. and gradually you'll get it right more.

10. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Stop motion is freezing at different points (sensibly after each step), and checking your position, balance, and posture. The typical example is when a coach says go....and STOP - HOLD that position, then proceeds to start moving your arms and legs around until they feel you are in a correct position.

Without a coach, it's still important to do it yourself, and even use video (camera timer is a pain) because it's often hard to see your full body position from your own eyes. A mirror is invaluable for stop motion exercises - something like a gym/ dance studio is perfect if you want to self check...you'll notice things you never noticed before. And you'll only manage it if you slow it all the way down to stopping.

Even with a shuttle, typically it is the last step that is isolated, and the position checked after hitting the shuttle too - e.g. followthrough correct? Is the racquet still in a good position or has it dropped to knee height? Only after the last step is correct can you add in the preceding steps, constantly checking to make sure the last step doesn't stop looking right.

It's very methodical, but with a fast feedback loop, e.g. with a good coach/training partner, it can be done pretty efficiently.

As you mention the 80/20 split and training plan, as @Cheung says, its important to get a clear objective for your training. This is because if you're doing things right, there WILL be times when you will get worse for a while. Typically anywhere between 3-12 weeks you'll get periods where it you're committed to changing techniques, you will genuinely 'forget' how to do anything. You'll be unable to play a full court clear. You'll 'forget' how to smash. It's up to you to decide how far you want to break down your old habits (the harder ones will lead to longer temporary underperformance) - if you're only half-committed, then you'll either try to revert 'back how I used to do it', maybe you'll blame your coach, or otherwise you'll be unhappy with your perceived lack of progress. It's important to go through big dips to reach higher levels, but not everyone is prepared to. It is perfectly understandable if you don't wish to drop in ability compared to your peers especially if you're one of the stronger players in your group already - pride is powerful!

#10 DarkHiatus, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Mason, darrengsaw and SimonCarter like this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

@chevy75

If you feel overwhelmed, I would start off with footwork patterns. Learn footwork because this can only benefit long term. You can learn with the coach and practice by yourself at odd times of the day.

On Instagram, if you follow coaches and academies, they post exercises of shadow footwork exercises that juniors do. That’s exactly what we need to do. I still do them myself.

Building up from basics takes time as an adult but usually we are a bit impatient about learning things quickly and get ourselves frustrated. Usually we think we grasp the concepts faster but when actually performing them properly we are still only human and the process takes time.

12. chevy75

chevy75 Regular Member

Thanks guys for all ur great advice. I’ve started working on a program consisting of all the elements u have suggested.

I have a question about practicing footwork. I play only doubles and mostly back court. All the footwork drills I’ve seen on the internet seem to focus on singles footwork where u return to the center of the court after hitting. Would the footwork drills for a doubles player be the same? In ladies doubles I’ve noticed that the backcourt players when performing a right side forehand smash direct their weight more towards the right side rather than forwards. Which I guess makes sense since they are not looking to move forwards but rather to the backcourt center.

13. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

You should focus on singles footwork because that is the progression. Master singles, then you either keep playing singles or switch to doubles.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Keep to basic footwork drills for singles until you are good at them, really good.

#14 Cheung, Sep 29, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    darrengsaw and Mason like this.
  15. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Singles and doubles don't have many differences when it comes to footwork. Singles footwork aims to move to the shuttle as efficient and effective as possible and so does doubles footwork. The only difference is the base position which is more dynamic in doubles. Also, because there is less court to cover a doubles player can more easily get away with rough unrefined footwork, whereas in singles lack of proper footwork is much less forgiving. This also means that a doubles player can benefit from playing singles or "singles-training", because it keeps their footwork clean.

Also, about the turning of the hip on the smash defence. Often, when a player turns to play a defensive shot, it is because they are mentally biased toward one side i.e. they expect it to come to the backhand so they turn left to their backhand side (if only slightly). This is most common on the backhand because it tends to be the more natural defensive shot, but it can happen on the forehand as well. Then, when they are biased toward one side, they are not positioned to play a good defence on the other side.

I don't know if this is the case for OP, but if it is I would say to worry less about whether your hips are angled correctly and instead focus on being ready for all possible smash angles. By reminding yourself that it can come on either side as well as in the middle, you naturally take on a more forward-facing stance. Focus less on anticipation, or where you think the smash is going to come and more on reaction. Later, when you no longer have the tendency to turn to one side, you can start to try to anticipate smash angles without compromising your defensive stance.

Conversely, if you ever see your opponent turning to defend a smash, smash it to their other side i.e. "behind their back" and you usually get a weak reply..

Cheung likes this.
  16. chevy75

chevy75 Regular Member

Thanks guys for the great feedback. SnowWhite.. that definitely makes a lot of sense. I’ll try it in my next game. I’ll have to work on my anticipation as I find that most times during a match my mind is completely blank and void of anticipation. I often seem to be relying only on reaction.

Tmr I’ll start doing footwork drills everyday for 10 mins. I’ve looked up some videos on YouTube and found these two videos. The one by Peter Rasmussen seems to focus more on rhythm and less court coverage as he only take one step in each direction. The other video however covers more of the court. Which is more suitable for me? I’ll post a link to the two videos below.

More court coverage :

Peter Rasmussens drill :

#16 chevy75, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Go for the four basic corners footwork first. It’s actually not that easy at first and you might fall over crossing your legs or starting off with the wrong foot.